5.0 out of 5 stars advanced style indeed
Published on 25 May 2012 by Jarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I was excited to see this book after many snippets in the press and after enjoying the short films he's made.
Published 13 months ago by K. Morgan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars advanced style indeed, 25 May 2012
Jarah (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
I'm a confirmed fan of Ari Seth Cohen's blog, a badly-needed antidote to contemporary fashion's obsession with extreme youth and a very limited definition of beauty. (It was not always this way - before the 1960s the great couturiers designed with the elegant older woman in mind and younger women aspired to look like her.) I have been waiting eagerly for this book and am not disappointed. Seth Cohen's subjects show that you don't have to become invisible once you hit fifty. Aged from sixty-five up to a hundred, these wonderful women (and one or two men) run the whole gamut of styles from over-the-top theatricality to elegant minimalism. What they all have in common is that they are dressing to please themselves and they look as if they enjoy every minute of it. There is not a cookie-cutter fashion-follower among them - each has honed her (or his) personal style to perfection and wears it with pride.
The photographs are beautiful. I'd have liked a little more text, as I enjoy the wit and wisdom of the Advanced Style women, but maybe that would have meant fewer pictures.
The blog mentioned recently that a film is in preparation. I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sass and the senior citizen, 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
Looking through this book, the word "refreshing" certainly springs to mind. Style blogger Ari Seth Cohen seeks inspiration in glamourous grandmothers and has scoured the streets of New York to photograph these doyennes of elegance with centuries of style between them. It is certainly a representation of challenging the often heard "I can't wear that because of my age". Models feature Ruth, who is 100 and enjoys pilates and weightlifting, writer and artist Beatrix, who resembles Vivienne Westwood with her dyed purple hair, accessories queen Mary, who believes in sunglasses over facelifts and Joyce, an 80 year old who wears fabulous gloves wherever she goes. This is truly delightful and empowering to women of all ages, in that it challenges the stereotypical views on age and ageing. I work with people who are over 65 and am constantly trying to lobby the establishment for its dated representations on what older adults want. With this book in my arsenal, they'll be no stopping me...

5.0 out of 5 stars charming and exiting, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
i came across Ari Seth Cohen's website and had to have his book. i'm not disappointed - its just full of pictures of lovely old women who look amazing - very inspriational. I am buying another copy for my 91 year old mother - and thank you for sending it on time to have Ari sign it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!!, 12 July 2012
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
An amazing insight into the colourful world of many 'advanced style' women.
This book has certainly changed my views on getting older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of pictures and very good layout, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
It is a very interesting book I bought after seeing it in a magazine. It was a gift to my mum and she loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and inspiring, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
I did not expect it to be so big, which was a nice surprise - it is quite a chunky volume, not much text but the little amount written is brilliant. Quality of the photographs is superb. That book really inspired me to experiment with my hair style and clothing on the very same evening it arrived. Highly recommended for the mature beauties like myself who love uniqueness and style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panache made visible, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
This wonderful book celebrates the energy of life. Ari Seth Cohen photographs older women whose vitality is expressed through their stylish outfits. These women display Individuality, creativity and a soupcon of rebelliousness. It is a joy to experience them through their pithy comments and through Ari's gorgeous photographs .
This is a book for anyone interested in seeing the human spirit made visible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
A beautiful simple book with lovely imagery. Was bought for purposes of research and has helped greatly, I love the blog and the book reflects reflects the best of street style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
Such a beautiful book in so many ways - an original idea delivered with panache and, above all, style! The women depicted within the pages of the book are wonderful role models for us all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Jun 2013
K. Morgan "kerrence" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced Style (Hardcover)
I hate to say it but it is just a bit disappointing. I expected it Love it. I can't even say why apart from maybe all the best pictures I'd already seen and I'm not sure he really captures these fabulous ladies' personality that much. The photos are just a bit uni dimensional. I felt they needed more text to back them up which a great picture doesn't really need. Think he should make films instead - his interviews I saw with some of his subjects were touching, interesting and left one wanting more.
He certainly knows how to spot class I'll say that.
Sorry to be negative.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Advanced Style
Advanced Style by Ari Seth Cohen (Hardcover - 22 May 2012)
17.00