5.0 out of 5 stars Best American Street Photography book ever?....
.... yes.

Published on 19 Aug 2012 by Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars A sad story
Like most, I came across Vivian's work a few years back, and as an admirer of her photography, I decided to buy this book.
It is a great insight as to what Vivian got up to in her spare time during her life, and her photography is up there with the best.

Published 12 months ago by Mr. J. P. Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Best American Street Photography book ever?...., 19 Aug 2012
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
.... yes.

I read a review of this book in B&W and bought it because of the storey around the finding of the photos. I am so pleased I did as this is a purely amateur photographer out with her Rolleiflex in the 40-90's recording every day New York life. Its surreal and its fantastic. Now I love Henri cartier Bresson and The Decisive Moment, and I took ages to get a copy of Robert Franks Americans, but they are "professional". Their eye is somewhat different to Vivian Maier. They work for profit, she works to provide Art and there is a wealth of difference in their approaches.

I am amazed at this woman's courage. remember this is a lady with a camera in what could be an aggressive environment. She hasn't got a small inconspicuous leics a, she has a Rolleiflex which is not conspicuous at all. yet she get close up to people who clearly see her including down and outs, drunks and Police situations. She also loves mirror images of herself and others and there must by 6-8 in this book alone.

The book states that there are 10,000 negatives found when she died. This therefore is only the tip of the iceberg and I hope there is more to come.

I am sure there are many more great amateurs out there doing similar work and I so wish I could see that too.

If you want a great, timeless, book on black an white street photography. this is it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivian comes out of the shade, 18 Jan 2012
Robin Benson - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)
I'm surprised how many one, two and three star reviews there are on US Amazon for this excellent photo book. On any level it really can't be faulted. Blank pages in a photo book are quite common though here the confusion was probably caused by having them very close to each other and repeated as such throughout the pages. Book designers would normally space a few blanks roughly evenly between all the photos. The printing by Asia Pacific is comparable to any other quality printed art book (and it costs less than quality printing in Europe or the US). The duotones use a 200 screen on a very acceptable 157gsm matt art with perfect register. The slight black/ochre feel to these photos, I thought, was a wise colour choice.

As to Vivian Maier's photos, the 106 in the book are quite stunning. In particular the framing is just prefect and I think this separates her work from other well known street photographers especially those classed as the New York School who go for a more emotional style of imagery. The photos reveal everyday street scenes in Chicago and New York and work so well because they always pull you into the composition without any distractions about what to look at first. The pacing helps here too, close-up portraits merge into medium shots and then, perhaps, a long shot saturated with detail. The more I looked through these pages the more the sequencing added to the photos.

If I have a criticism it is that there is really nothing about Vivian Maier. Her named website gives some background and I think it would have been helpful to the reader to have included some of this material

John Maloof, the book's editor, is to be congratulated on finding and preserving a treasure trove of photos by an unknown photographer who had such a remarkable eye. I'm hoping this will be the first of many books revealing Ms Maier's creative vision.

>>>LOOK AT SOME INSIDE PAGES by clicking 'customer images' under the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)
One of those moments in the 20th century where someone's been creating beautiful imagery, by herself, for herself and nobody knew. Until now.
I'm so very glad Vivian's work has been brought out into the public, because it's beautiful. Very few books and photographers make me want to pick up the camera and go and shoot, but this is one.
Or some days, it makes me want to give up, because I'll never be this good!
Bought it, love it, recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A sad story, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)

This book (which I think I have a 1st edition) is sadly produced in sepia. Although, this gives a warm tone to her photos, I do feel that it doesn't need it, simple black and white would have been I guess how Vivian may have wanted her work to be seen. I also feel that the blank pages were not essential to the impact and design of the book.

Apparently, there are 150,000 photos by Vivian Maier, this book only scratches the surface and no doubt there will be a lot more books to come from this.

The sad story is that none of the profit from her body of work will go to good causes. I understand the two owners who bought her work want to make a profit, but wouldn't it be good if they set up a foundation or charity under Vivian's name. This could be for photographers / artists who like Vivian, had to have a day job to survive. There are so many talented artists out there that do not get any help or recognition, I think Vivian would surely approve.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine example of post-war street photography., 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)
Fantastic book giving a good sweeping glimpse of the first available images of enigmatic New York photographer Vivian Maier. Her finely crafted images are a fantastic accompaniment to any photographer or art collector's library. She serves as a wonderful -and less well known- example of post war street photography, up there with many of the finest street photographers of our time.
The only criticism I can give this edition would be that there is arguably too much material included. A tighter edit would have been more suitable, particularly at this early stage in her publicization. In my opinion, not all of the images are of the same standard and the weaker images detract from the overall quality of the published work.
Perhaps a revised edition would benefit from the inclusion of a photo essay and possibly a more in depth biography of Maier, if more information has been discovered about her at that time. The inclusion of a series of self portraits at the back was a very nice touch.
The book is at a low price for the range and quality of the work and I highly recommend it for anybody with an interest in history, art, photography, or simply in Vivian Maier herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 25 Nov 2012
G. Lewis "mgjjl" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)
Few photographers have inspired me enough to want to buy their book, but Vivian Maier is the exception. After seeing her images appear on the BBC news website a couple of years ago I've been in awe. Her collection is only now being discovered, but this book represents the best of what they have so far.

The book itself provides an engaging collection of images of which there are over 100 pages worth, plus some self-portraits thrown in for good measure. There's very little text to speak of, mainly because very little was known of her. Maloof did a good job of filling two pages in the foreword at the beginning, but in all honesty, Maier was a bit of a mystery. Beyond the foreword, it's pretty much all photographs right up until the back cover.

Whether you like street photography or not, this book gives an incredible insight into US city life during the 60s & 70s. I love it and I keep it on my desk to dip into whenever the mood takes me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real pearl, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)
An intimate view of everyday people, close and yet not intrusive. Fleeting moments snapped with fantastic timing, on the apparently least appealing subjects. Superb!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great way to start, 7 Mar 2013
David Green "Glow Worm" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)
A great way to start off the work of Vivien Maier. I would have liked more text to fill out the mysterious almost double life of this woman but the reproductions of some of her most known pictures are very good in my opinion.
I look forward to seeing the documentary film and hopefully some more pictures from the seemingly endless catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars WODERFUL, 14 May 2013
Valerie Houghton (belfast ,ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)
This a beautiful book, with some of the most beautiful images ive ever seen.V M has captured her subjects perfectly.Its exciting , its moving.Anyone who loves photography should have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivian Maier is simply brilliant The work is fantastic,, 12 May 2013
william (Fulham London uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vivian Maier (Hardcover)
If you are interested in Street photography or photography in general you should certainly buy this book, you will not be disappointed. It is simply brilliant the work is fantastic, Vivian Maier it up they up with the likes of Arbus, Diane Nan Goldin Robert Frank if you look at her work you will see links in with the likes of Arbus, Diane and urban street photography. You should seriously think about buying this, especially if you are a photographic student what more can I say this just simply fantastic

Vivian Maier
Vivian Maier by John Maloof (Hardcover - 8 Dec 2011)
19.71