5.0 out of 5 stars for my little brother
i got this for my brother who is a teenager but struggles with reading and he read this lots and said he loved it. i dont think he would have even picked up a conventional one but found this bible version quite amazing. now i want it too! thanks eugene and God!
Published on 9 May 2008 by jo marsden

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
I like having this version of the Bible around because it prvides a different way of looking at verses in context. But it wouldn't be my only Bible.
Published on 22 Mar 2009 by M

5.0 out of 5 stars for my little brother, 9 May 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes the Bible thrilling reading, 8 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I've been a Christian for twenty years but there are bits of the Bible I never understood until I read The Message. There are other bits that are so much clearer. Eugene Peterson has written something that is in the voice of our times but is faithful to those original recountings of God's word. He has avoided the temptation of writing modern funamentalist (or liberal) doctrines into scripture.
Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece of Tone and Understanding, 16 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Peterson is a master of nuance. His translation is aimed at capturing the language that Jesus would use today, in keeping with his purpose of communicating clearly to the poor and the outcast. His work is better than a literal translation. It captures the spirit of Jesus. Often Peterson's direct language leads to a fresh understanding, even for such complex passages as the beatitudes. Any serious scholar should add this paraphrased translation to his arsenal. Everyone else should buy it because it provides direct English translations that explode in the mind and lead to appreciation and understanding. It is a great introductory volume to give to someone who does not yet know Jesus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 22 Mar 2009
M - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Message Compact New Testament Paperback: New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very difficult to navigate on the Kindle, 25 April 2011
S. Brown (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I suspect modern wording dates very rapidly as some of the phrases in this edition do seem dated already. The text is also geared for a US reader; fine if you are in the US but not so good for the UK reader.

However, what really lets this electronic text down is the limited table of contents; it is so very painfully difficult to navigate between different part of the text, so difficult in fact that you may wear your finger out or, who knows, even break your Kindle's "next page" button!

Only two stars, because of the poor usability of this text on the Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE Message!, 12 Oct 2009
Written in contemporary English, it is full of life, giving a new fresh insight. Even though the sentences are not following the structure given by classical translations, it purposely looks to give back the fullness of the original meaning. Once you start reading it, you are hooked up! It is bringing out the Good News contained in every verse and reveals God's goodness in a new way! No doubt, it is THE message God wants to personnally give to each one of us!

5.0 out of 5 stars God's Word, and I am awed! (this from a skeptic!), 26 May 1999
By A Customer
I was skeptical when I was given a copy of this book to read, that I would be terribly disappointed in the way the Word of God was re-translated into "today's language." The result of reading this book was just the opposite, I have not yet been able to put this book down!
It takes some getting used to: Only the chapters are titled and highlighted with numerals, the individual verses are not numbered. Also the language is indeed different than a traditional Bible, no Thee's and Thou's, but it was much easier to understand and apply to my life.
Overall, I am *very* pleased with this book. I will be purchasing copies for aquaintences, friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome!, 27 July 1999
By A Customer
I had heard passages from this book at a Rebecca St. James concert. I finally got a copy for myself yesterday and I can't put it down. This book speaks to me in a language I can definitely understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible made easy., 3 May 2012
Mrs. D. Baxter "Renee B" (Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
I am delighted to have this translation on my Kindle. I already had the printed version, and it is so easy to read and is in modern language throughout. It is great to dip into when travelling or on holiday - a real boon as an ebook. Because of the modern wording, obviously it is not an accurate translation, but as the title suggests, it does contain the message!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Ptint, 12 Sep 2011
C. A. Skinner "Cate Skinner" (Cornwall England) - See all my reviews
I wanted this whilst on holiday & thought it would be perfect for my handbag, to use anywhere just to pull out & read.
What I didn't reckon was the print is SO small that even with Lasered eyes & 20/20 vision I couldn't read without magnification.

The Message Compact New Testament Paperback: New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs