4.0 out of 5 stars Living life to the full
Eugene Peterson subtitles this book `The Risen Christ in Everyday Life' and shows us how to live in the truth of the resurrection. On one level, it is an easy read - after all, Peterson is the man behind the hugely accessible The Message but it goes far deeper. It challenges and encourages .

The book ends with the resurrection stories from The Message. I...
Published on 11 April 2010 by Angie Pollard

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Live up to Peterson's Previous
Published on 4 Feb 2011 by Virtual Methodist

4.0 out of 5 stars Living life to the full, 11 April 2010
This review is from: Living the Resurrection (Hardcover)

The book ends with the resurrection stories from The Message. I suggest that this is where we should start, with the Word as the core and backdrop to Peterson's thoughts. He reflects on three aspects of Christ's resurrection. Firstly the wonder of the resurrection spurs us on, not just to `life after death' but `life in the land of the living'. We need to keep before us that sense of awe and amazement. "Without wonder, we approach spiritual formation as a self-help project." This perspective, considering Christ's marvellous defeat of death, reminds us that "our souls are formed by what we cannot work up or take charge of". It's up to God, not up to us.

Yet this development of our souls is not done in isolation but in the context of everyday life. The resurrection meal - the familiarity of eating - reflects how Jesus takes whatever we offer him, blesses it, breaks it and gives it back to us to use for his glory.

Finally, we are to live and practise resurrection in the context of the Church: in the company of friends who we are in relationship with because of WHO WE ARE IN JESUS.

A simple formula for the Christian life: repent, simplify, turn our backs on `the world, the flesh and the devil' and follow him who IS the resurrection and the life. Simple.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of their Blogger Review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Live up to Peterson's Previous, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Living the Resurrection (Hardcover)
This reads more like 3 essays or lectures than a more developed and coherent book. In it Peterson argues for the place of sabbath keeping, table fellowship and the practice of baptism in our deepening fellowship with the risen Christ. It carries some of his characteristic profound and poetic insights that come from a pastor's heart wedded to a scholar's mind, but in some places the complexity of his reasoning runs counter to his appeal for less elitism and dependence upon spiritual experts in the church

4.0 out of 5 stars Living the Resurrection by Eugene H.Peterson, 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: Living the Resurrection (Hardcover)

The concept behind this book is that Jesus' resurrection should affect our daily lives in a practical and noticeable way. Eugene Peterson, the translator for The Message, presents how this ought to affect our lives in three areas: work through the sabbath, mealtimes through the Lord's Supper, and church service and personal growth through water baptism.

I think this is a good book. It's unapologetic about Jesus' desire for our lives to be impacted in a big way, and it's practical about application too, so don't buy this book if you're just looking for a interesting read. The truth of the resurrection is well explained, and a wide variety of Bible passages are used to back up his arguments, which is good.

The writing style is easy to read, and easy to understand. The construct is logical and it's broken down into bitesize chunks, which is a good job because the chapters, while few, are long!

Peterson's a bit of a wordsmith so on occasion he presents his ideas in a poetic, rather than strictly accurate, form, but that's what you're going to get with him so if that's you're kind of thing you'll love it.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from NavPress Publishers as part of theirBlogger Review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

ARRAY(0xb46d93a8)

Living the Resurrection
Living the Resurrection by Eugene H. Peterson (Hardcover - 4 Jan 2006)
9.53