5.0 out of 5 stars REAL authentic leadership - not directive mis-management, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life (Paperback)
I bought the book since the title caught my attention. I left my career early a couple of years ago after being completely burned out - much to do with the 'outside-in' approach. In getting my strength back I've had time to reflect and to learn. I believe that individuals, their talents, interests, experience and their uniqueness, are the heart of everything. Neglect these and they, and anything they are a part of, falls apart. Neglected they mainly are though. This also explains lack of productivity and absenteeism through ill health. Not only that - just think what the world is missing out on! It makes sense to support individuals and enable them to contribute in a manner that is useful for their own self worth and for the benefit of those they serve. This is self sustaining and so everyone wins. I've only realised recently that this is what leadership is - REAL LEADERSHIP, that is. (I assume most people, like me, often associate the word 'leadership' with directive management and of course that is neither empowering nor is it sustainable rather it de-skills and debilitates). I'm so greatful to Kevin Cashman who has not only affirmed what I've come to realise but has furthered my thinking and my committment to make a difference to my own and others' lives. "Leaders who influence with authenticity and serve with passion, create enduring value for themselves, their teams and the world."

This book has exceeded the expectations I had of it and I feel in a stronger position having connected with Kevin Cashman's approach. It's really helped in creating a strong foundation for me in my current endeavours - putting together a workshop and course for teachers to help them take control of their careers and lives as part of my new service for teachers called "Teachers in Charge". (I'm an ex teacher and now a coach).

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening experience, 3 April 2011
I devoured this book over a weekend and I plan to go back to it several more times in the future.
It is a life-changing experience to read it and I recommend it with enthusiasm.

Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life
Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life by Kevin Cashman (Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)