5.0 out of 5 stars Every one should read this book!, 9 Jan. 2007
D. Jeffery "K" (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Affluenza: The All Consuming Epidemic (Bk Currents) (Paperback)
Every civic minded person will get a lot out of reading this book.

Although a lot of the information is quite depressing,when you digest what you read, you soon realise that your efforts can make a difference.

I wanted to read this book ages ago but thought it might be a little "dry", it isn't at all!

It is well written, balanced and I think every one over the age of 16 should read it before they decide what they want out of life.

I am already trying to live frugally, but I know that having read this book, I will be trying even harder to live lightly on this Earth.

I believe that reading this book will have saved me money as I will now analyse future purchases with much greater scutiny.

4.0 out of 5 stars we are sleepwalking to disaster, 27 Jun. 2012
This is a very important book. The idea that the desire for "stuff" has become an epidemic is a compelling one. One of the most chilling comments is made in relation to having our heads full of manipulative advertising messages. "The question is, if we get evicted from our own minds, who are we?". We cannot continue to mine the earth indefinitely and yet as the book points out most of us do not make the connection between what we consume and where it comes from. I have only given a 4 star rating for 2 reasons. At times it reads like a very long magazine article, hammering home the same point repeatedly with too many quotes and examples. Secondly the writers seem to be straining at the leash, but just about resisting the urge to promote religion as a positive force. This for me is a major turn off. But hey, they are americans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affluenza, 4 May 2013
a book everybody should read! May even change the way you relate to the material driven life of the western world.

Affluenza: The All Consuming Epidemic (Bk Currents)
Affluenza: The All Consuming Epidemic (Bk Currents) by Thomas H. Naylor (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.99