on 24 September 2002
As a woman who has been involved in church leadership, I found this in depth discussion about what the Bible really says about the role of women in the church, thought-provoking and very reassuring. Too much of the theology of women we are taught has derived from sloppy translation and/or a male world view influenced by society. I'm not a rabid feminist but I do know that God has made me equal with my brothers and wants me to use the gifts that He has given me. I now feel that I have a much better handle on the reasons why!
on 23 June 2014
Excellent book for women who feel the call of God. This is a well researched book and explains the meaning of the scriptures that can cause confusion for women.
on 17 May 2012
What a blessing this book was to me when I was first given a copy! I highly recommend it for all - men as well as women, whether in the ministry, leadership or otherwise. This study is revolutionary, yet I believe accurate to the original intention of Paul and others in the Bible. The authors explain the culture of the day and how these relevant Bible passages would have been understood by the people of that time. Paul's style of writing seems very complicated, but the authors demonstrate the pattern used. I have recommended this book to many people, everyone of whom has appreciated its content, and they have been encouraged in their walk with the Lord. For many years, as a woman leading a ministry, a vision the Lord gave me, I felt there ought to be a man at the helm, and this brought me many problems. Reading this book has helped me see my role as God sees it, and liberated me into being the one God wants me to be.
on 1 March 2016
Very informative, truth revealing, liberating book - a glorifying piece.
Service poor - arrived one week after the last expected date and when chased up they never responded
on 5 September 2014
Well researched and well written
on 2 June 2011
If anyone had any doubts about Women's roll within the Church, then this is a good place to start. Easy to read, well thought out, good sources of information, and best of all ... written by men.

Women and Men ARE equals within the Church and God's Kingdom. It's us humans who have twisted what the Bible originally taught.

Read the book. You won't regret it.
on 11 October 2014
This is a brilliant book which has opened my eyes to what the Bible actually says about women. We were created equal and remained equal in the eyes of God. It men that have made women subservient.
I would recommend this book to all women. Men should read it too, so they can see how culture not the Bible has made women second class citizens..
on 1 October 2014
Cunningham & Hamilton in their short book of 277 pages make a major contribution to the debate on this difficult but important topic. Their thesis traces the male dominated patriarchial historical/social background to the coming of Christ and it continuance thereof,even to the present day,examining in detail its impact on bible translations and the practice still sadly wasteful and prevalent today in many circles of Christian life. Hamilton, learnedly and systematically dissects most of the key applicable scriptures.In considering the role of women in the church it is noteworthy most commentaries,messages,sermons,books and theological eisegesis ,(happily NOT this book),ignore Ephesians 5:21,a basic fulcrum text along with Galations 3:38 and the authors rightly conclude is the key to this distracting dispute . Their examination of this text and the many other scriptures that are used to justify the current mainline male bias thereof , ie in regard to 'authority,teaching and headship' dilemmas, is most welcome and timely.Although, I am not entirely convinced on their interpretation of of 1 Tim 2:12 (but no matter, for we all now 'see through a glass darkly').(For those interested in a male evangelical perspective but from a similar viewpoint,may care to consult my recent exegesis in my kindle ebook 'Women& the Word'-an observation).Just one downside to this helpful Hamilton book,which has copious and helpful notes, is it lacks an index.A great pity.Perhaps this could be corrected in a future reprint edition.(incidentally for those interested this book makes an excellent complementary 'read' to Faith Martin's 'Call Me Blessed', authored from a female perspective.).
on 5 February 2013
Anyone interested in women's role in the church I recommend this book to. It's theological arguments seem sound without being too complex to follow, and every argument is supported by reference to the bible.
on 25 September 2009
This book is excellent. Thank you Amazon for helping me find it.If you have any doubts about the role of women in the church this should help you sort them out. The book is biblical and makes sense.