5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book now!
Published on 7 July 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Gabriel's Woman
An adult erotic novel set in gaslit London, where a governess fallen on hard times has sold everything but her innocence and is driven to making that sacrifice.

Published 24 months ago by Clare O'Beara

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book now!, 7 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Paperback)
If you haven't read Robin Schone before then you are in for a treat. This is the sequel to The Lover but you don't have to read them in sequence although it is preferred. No one writes like Robin. The stories are heart-breaking, startling, erotic and uplifting. This is the best in my opinion, but see for yourself - read them all!! You won't be disapointed and you'll never encounter another character quite like Gabriel...

4.0 out of 5 stars What a read!, 4 Jun 2004
B E Conner (Irvine, Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Paperback)
I have to say that I ordered this book on a whim and boy am I glad that I did, it was excellent. A superb mix of sauce and romance. This book achieves what many others cannot and that is that the characters stay with you long after you finish reading the book, that to me is the mark of a good book. In fact I liked it so much that I've ordered the other 3 books that were written by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous...her best book, 13 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Paperback)
I have read all of Robin's books, they just get better and better...this is the best so far. Robin will take out your heart, wring it out and put it back in. Through the experinces of Gabriel, Victoria and Michael, she takes you on an emotional ride that will leave you desperate for the next book. I have just finished it and will now read it again. In my opinion there is not another romance author out there who comes anywhere close to writing such intense, poignant stories as Robin. This is absolutely wonderful, I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGNIFICENT!!, 12 Aug 2002
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Paperback)
If you have yet to discover who Robin Schone is, do yourself a favour and read her books. She along with Charolotte Boyett-Compo are the only authors, that for me, are an auto buy. Like her characters, she puts the pleasure into pain. My only complaint is that she does not write fast enough, and that there are not more authors out there that write like she does. Yes her books are explicit, but that serves only to enhance her stories, not detract from them. Once again, she has delivered an unforgettable read, with suitably angst ridden characters. If you like dark romance with overtones of the erotic, I cannot recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars my goodness., 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Kindle Edition)
I read Robin Shone in paperback a few years ago, and the stories have stayed with me all this time. When I was gifted with a Kindle, I downloaded 2 of her books, The lady's tutor and Gabriels Woman. My goodness, all the old memories came flooding back and I devoured each book. Taking a day each to get through. You need to know more, you need to learn about these characters, hear their stories because you care. The sexy and erotic love scenes play a part in the tales but, they merely add to the tension, to the feeling and depth of these people. They are flawed, they are complex, they have reasons for being where they are and the reasons are both compelling and shocking. I found these books fascinating, interesting, sexy, and above everything else gripping. I loved and cared about the 'hero', I took an interest in the women, more so because they seemed a little more realistic. There is a tendency to repeat descriptions of sounds and scenes which I found a little lazy of the author but this did not detract from the overall ambience of the tales. I highly recommend reading these smashers, just because they will open your eyes to something a little more tantalising and a little more raw than your usual fictional historical romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Gem" of a Book, 21 April 2009
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Paperback)
Excellent and unique Book. Well done Robin Schone. A complex, dark and steamy read. I adored the main character, Gabriel " The beautiful angel for the men". I would highly recommend this book and the prequel to this book " the Lover". This is a book that touches the heart and is about the true bond of friendship and love existing between two wonderful men.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gabriel's Woman, 5 Nov 2012
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Kindle Edition)

Two French orphan boys, Gabriel and Michael, were sold into prostitution and harm. Now adults, known as the Angels, they run a bordello in London and Gabriel awaits a chance to get revenge on his enemies. Victoria, dismissed from her post and unable to make ends meet, is driven to offering her virginity to the highest bidder and considers that she would be safer as well as better paid in a privately run house than on the street, where she would gain only five pounds. Gabriel decides to outbid the other men, paying handsomely because he suspects that Victoria has been sent as an assassin. He's wrong about her, but some other people in the story end up dead and distributed among baskets, in keeping with the brutality of the times. Meanwhile Gabriel finds that Victoria is dangerous to him in other ways, for she is making him break his somewhat strange vow to himself never to enjoy a woman.

The male characters are hard to identify with, Gabriel's paranoia and thirst for revenge dominating his personality, but Victoria is definitely a sympathetic individual and her education lifts her above the women of the streets. Those who enjoy adult erotica or who want to try an unusual historical romance will find this an interesting read, though the style of writing, placing a few words in each sentence and each sentence a new paragraph, can get tedious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pain and Pleasure, 22 May 2011
Sue Lewendon "Film fanatic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Paperback)
I read this straight after reading The Lover and was pleased to find out a little more of Gabriel and Michael's past. I thought that Michael was haunted enough by bad memories but that was before I found out about poor Gabriel.

What you have here is very strong lead character's surrounded by equally well written sub characters. Gabriel, 'God's Chosen Angel', is devoid of love or intimacy and has been that way for nearly 15 years. It's understandable when you reach the end of the story and find out why he is the way he is. I was a little confused when I read these books as to why Gabriel hated Michael so much and yet loved him at the same time. All is explained here though.

Victoria is a pleasure to read about too. She has also suffered in her lifetime and wants nothing more than to rid herself of her virginity at the age of 34, and benefit from the money she will make from selling it to the highest bidder. Gabriel is that highest bidder, (thank the Lord!), and off we go on a wonderful journey of intimate discovery and soul searching.

The climax to the story is a stonker! It actually had me in tears at one point! If you have read any of Miss Schone's work before and enjoyed it, then you're in for a real treat with this book.

Again though, I must add that if you embarrass easily or are offended by strong wording of a sexual nature, avoid at all costs. If you choose not to read this though you are really doing yourself out of a stonking read! I simply couldn't put it down!

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected a little better going by the reviews, 1 July 2010
SusieM "SusieM" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Paperback)
Expected this book to deliver a lot more than it did. The story line was reasonable and well-paced. The writing not so good, very cliched and in parts annoying, especially the French phrases that were thrown in for no good reason. I didn't think it was particularly erotic either, though it had its moments. Worth a read but in the main disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The eighth deadly sin?, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Gabriel's Woman (Kindle Edition)
I don't read historical "romance or erotica" as they are not my genre but Gabriel's Woman and took me by surprise.

Robin Schone has written a sensual period romance. Her writing is explicit, the sex is burning and there were no silly euphemisms for sexual words - she said it as it is. The plot was original and I thought it was written with tasteful flair.

Unfortunately I did not read the prequel and only got to understand what Gabriel and Michael had gone through in this novel.

Living a life of prostitutes (they knew no other) each one had their own flair - Gabriel was tutored to service men whilst Michael was tutored to service woman. Gabriel the untouchable Angel, Michael the scarred Angel.

Gabriel had been raped at 13 and because of this is unable to stand the touch of others until Victoria Childers arrived in Gabriel;s House - a tavern where every carnal desires could be satisfied. Here Gabriel provides shelter, employment and hope. Victoria offers her virginity to the highest bidder with the starting bid being the same as the amount Gabriel was sold for years ago. He outbids everyone and takes Victoria to his private quarters. He is very suspicious of Victoria and can't make up his mind whether she is an innocent victim or a paid assassin. Gabriel realizes that Victoria is a former noblewoman who has been terrorized and turned out into the streets and is now being used as a pawn to get to him. Victoria is terrified of her own sexuality, her father raised her to believe sex is sinful and women are sinful creatures.

I loved the way Robins Schone builds the relationship between Victoria and Gabriel. The mounting sexuality between them leading to a wonderful level of trust and awakening.

So despite not liking this genre I have to say that I can't help admire Robin Schone's writing style, the intensity of this story and her evaluation of male-female relationships.

For me this went much further than "historical erotica". It was a physiological thriller, an emotional and powerful story dealing with and uncomfortable and dark world.

Would I recommend it? Yes and despite knowing the outcome of this story book I am going to read The Lover and I am sure I will be looking at other novels by this talented author.

Gabriel's Woman
Gabriel's Woman by Robin Schone (Paperback - 1 Sep 2001)