1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Learn to Play Drums with Metallica (Book & CD) (Sheet music)
The title is hopelessly misleading. This book is not for the beginners. It contains no basic exercises. The very first exercise in the book is a drum part actually played by Lars Ulrich on a Metallica's album. I admit that that particular drum part is very easy to understand and play. Still, it is not something a newbie is supposed to play when he sits down at his drumkit for the very first time.

That said, it was uplifting beyond words to recognise that I was actually playing exactly the same thing I had countless times heard one of the best drummers in the world play on my Metallica records. The book was a tremendous enjoyment right from the first exercise.

One thing that disturbed me was that there seemed to be almost as many copyright symbols as there were notes. (All right, all right, I'm exaggerating.) And it's utterly ridiculous to write the name of the author of lyrics on sheet music that contains only drum notes.

One important reason why I bought the book was because it came with a CD. I was hugely disappointed to find that the CD didn't contain songs without drum parts as I had thought. It only contained the drum parts themselves. What was I supposed to do with those? I can read notes, thank you very much - to say nothing of having heard the songs dozens of times.

So this book is something of a rip-off, I'm sorry to say. A tough decision between 3 and 4 stars.

Learn to Play Drums with Metallica (Book & CD)
Learn to Play Drums with Metallica (Book & CD) by Various (Sheet music - 13 Jun 2002)