Format: Board book|Change

on 9 February 2009
We bought this book for our 18 month old son who can be a little over-zealous with his nashers and fists! So far, so good.

He has immediately taken to the book and often pulls it out of his book shelf for us to read together. It is colourful, clearly illustrated and robustly made. It shows that biting is not nice and gives altenatives for him to do - such as chew on a toy, have a drink, have a hug, or simply smile.

This morning he even showed the book to his grandma, bit his own finger and then shook his head.

We have ordered 'hands are not for hiting' so let's hope we get some success with that too!
on 12 February 2011
I struggled with my son for a year (from 18 months to 2 1/2 years) with a biting problem - it was so bad that going near children in a supermarket was anxious.

I had a friend who had discovered this book and bought it for me. I have to say, it has helped immensely! It took a while to engage him in it, but after a few weeks of pulling it out every day, he got it! He's been over the problem for 6 months now, and still wants to read it before bed. He loves to state the phrase, 'Teeth are not for biting, they are SMILING!'

I am now smiling and attending playgroup again!

I even went on to buy the other books in the range for hands and feet. For a 3 year old, he is very aware that any negative contact with other children, all thanks to this book. I feel it's the best way to help our little ones find their feet :)
on 26 August 2012
If you're buying this, you have a bitey pre-schooler. This really, really worked for ours when all else failed. It didn't give him a massive reaction, it didn't mean a long lecture so he switched off. It appealed to his better nature in a non-confrontational way, and he stopped. Job done. Recommended!
on 30 April 2012
Briliant book. Have used it with an autistic child with excellent results. So good am buying more from the series.
on 15 October 2013
I bought this for my 3 year old who started biting when he went to nursery I read it to him every time he bit within a Few days he new most of the words and could read along nice bright pictures to gives tips for a teething baby to.
on 15 July 2013
Really good book as my little boy has decided that biting is a good way to express his emotions. Simply put and easy to understand, would definitely recommend.
on 31 July 2011
This book is brilliant! It's helped my 3yr old to understand that biting hurts which is wot I've bin trying to tell him for ages. It's very much part of our bedtime reading through his own choice not mine. He now does the biting actions but says 'no mummy - hurts', which is brillant to hear!!
on 14 November 2011
I bought this book for a friend who's child had started biting other children & there self,it solved the issue in less than a week & the child can even re-site some of the book from memory for example: Teeth are not for biting, they are for smiling with!
on 3 November 2013
My son went through an awful biting phase when he was 2. I followed various advice for parents but this book really changed his desirable behaviour. Every time he bit we had to read the book. He got the message pretty quickly. Amazing!
on 14 December 2014
My daughter had started biting at nursery. I wasn't sure if this would work (she is only 21 months) but it did. We read it every night for a week and the biting stopped.