5.0 out of 5 stars Stick Up For Yourself
Published on 23 Mar 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing astonishing
It all makes sense, but doesn't really offer anything new and is overall a bit twee and naive; not very relevant to the modern playground
Published 6 months ago by zoeoli

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick Up For Yourself, 23 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Stick Up for Yourself: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Self-Esteem (Paperback)
Fantastic book dealing with issues like responsibilty, making choices, ownership of feelings, believing in yourself,etc. Lots of examples and very short stories children can relate to that make it a very friendly easy to read book. Its like having lots of good counselling sessions in one book. My daughter loves it and she's only 8! Defnitely a book I'd recommend and will keep sharing with her into her teenage years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 14 Mar 2006
G. Bean (York, England) - See all my reviews
Although the book is aimed at children aged approx 8 years old I bought this book to read along side my 6 year old daughter. She has had problems at school with speaking out. The text is easy to understand and very positive and empowering for the child. It tells kids about acquiring personal power but reminds them that they are still children and have to accept some aspects of parental input. It encourages respect of others and encourages problem solving. There is a section that focuses on feelings and names them. It encourages the child to explore feelings and to own them and how to deal with them. The only drawback if I could call it that is that it is typically american, however this takes nothing away from the content. A brilliant little book and I would recommend it for anyone wishing to prepare their child for living.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Global Positioning System for all., 21 Feb 2006
Janet (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
What a wonderful book for teachers to use to enlighten pupils about a much neglected subject in school life - and as the cherry on top, it might also be a powerful ally in sorting out many of the bullying problems.
This book would inspire future mothers, dads and anyone else important in a childs life, about the important areas to feed into our children - and maybe even to support ourselves to mature emotionally in preparation for child bearing years and beyond. It is simply and clearly written in a manner that child or adult will understand - giving the specifics without an overload and repeat of information, and so keeps ones focus.
I am a grandmother and bought it for my grandson, yet was amazed how meaningful I found it in applying it to my own life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering, 24 Jan 2008
Mrs. Marilyn Lewis (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you have a child like my 9 year old son who is not street wise and who has so called friends who take joy in making him feel bad about himself - then this book will help him or her to understand the way that makes them feel and how to handle it. This book brought my son awareness of his feelings and emotions, and helped him to understand himself a little better and put things in prespective. Also a great way of making him see that he is responsable for his feelings and behaviour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Book, 16 May 2012
I bought this book for my 8 year old son. He seems to be struggling at school at the moment with his feelings.

He is abit of a perfectionist and believes winning is the only option but when he is not achieving his goals he is setting it is making him lacks confidence. He is also struggling how to cope with other children's directness (We have some very head strong children at his school). If some one says anything to him like "your not playing" he takes this negatively. He really takes it personally and beats himself up about it.

I wanted a book to help him understand his emotions/feelings and to channel them in a more positive way instead of a negative one.

I have bought a few books now and I always read them before I give them to him to read. Some books can be very deep in talking about feelings but I feel this book does it in a positive way.

This book is good at talking about our own personal self and encourages problem solving. It also explains feelings, which helps and there is a section that focuses on feelings and names them. It encourages the child to explore feelings and how to change there thought pattern and how to deal with them.

Great little book not too long aswell. I will see how he gets on with it over the next few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly fantastic, 10 Feb 2006
By A Customer
I first read this book seeking inspiration for my work with children at my Samurai School program. What I actually found was some very clear and concise explanations that I was able to apply to my own life and experience and as a direct result I have been able to make positive change. It is so wonderful to be able to lead, rather than simply direct. I am so impressed it has inspired changes in my syllabus and teaching guides and my program is now an enjoyable positive influence in local schools. This book is for all ages and many lives are all the more better for the authors efforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 1 Nov 2010
MultiMum (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was exactly what I was hoping it would be. It was exactly as it describes itself in the title. Easy for a ten year old to read and so it allowed my daughter to think about possible ways of altering her behaviour to reduce the teasing she had been getting at school, without me having to interfere in the normal way by talking to her teacher. I think it was particularly good that it allowed her to deal with it all herself, and was easy to understand. I think my 8 year old would also have been perfectly able to read and understand it if needed. Younger children would probably need to work through it with an adult. I see there is also a teacher's guide to go with it now. I would certainly recommend it to any school or parent.

The best recommendation is that my daughter stopped biting her nails to bleeding point and has really got a much more positive attitude to any minor disagreements she and her friends have.

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW, 20 Mar 2014
I've learned a lot from this book and I feel calmer and more confident with making new friends and being able to see were my childhood is going to lead me today I was at school and I was practicing for a play I was sitting next to my friend and she was a bit upset but the argument had been sorted out hours ago. She put her foot down on the seat the person she was arguing with and I could see she was poking her foot into her enemy's thigh Mollie (the enemy)turned round and said that Justine was hurting her. Justine was on my side at the moment so I asked her to put her foot on her chair but she said she was stretching out I said ok she still stretched for about half an hour and Mollie was crying then Justine whispered to me that I don't know why she is crying she was the one that made things much worse. I knew it's not good to have power over someone but I felt angry at Justine and didn't want the argument to on because tonight was the play and I just hope that they be friends again because they will ruin the play for me and for my classmates.

By a 8-9 year old and Justine if your reading this I'm sorry but I couldn't help writing this and Mollie I hope that were still friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing astonishing, 18 Mar 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars stick up for yourself, 22 April 2008
R. G. Kissell (uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 8 year old son who really lacks confidence in himself and i was hopping this book would help him 'find his voice'. I tried to go through it with him but just found it too in depth and heavy. It talks about all the feelings you may experience everything fron joy and suprise to anger and rage which i felt confused my son. I wanted to help my son stand up for himself but all i feel i have done is bombarded him with alot of information that was maybe too much for him to take on board. I know there is no quick fix for helping a child with confidence and self esteem but i was very dissappointed with this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›