5.0 out of 5 stars .
Who wouldn't be delighted to find the public domain list of FREE classic literature. This is fantastic. All the titles I've always wanted to read and for free - this is my kind of kindle heaven. I love the way they arrive on your kindle, they're so quick, it's like magic. Thank you public domain!
Published 17 months ago by Mrs. Little

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange mystery
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by R. Byron

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange mystery, 29 Jun 2011
R. Byron (Lake District) - See all my reviews
This is a thought-provoking read,(retrospectively seems somewhat contrived however), but at the time it was written it must have been radical, controversial and even blasphemous to many. Written when the works of Nietzsche, Darwin, Schopenhauer and others were still seen as having boldly pushed the frontiers of what is acceptable (or not to some). This is an entertaining read, not difficult to follow, and certainly challenges one's own ideas and any preconceived views. Mark Twain was saying that we should challenge our status and position in the order of things, about how we can assume personal responsibility for ourselves rather than relying on beliefs or things which really can amount to a convenient compromise.

It is a good story and hard to put down as I found myself wondering where it was going, which is the sign of a great author of course. In conclusion and although it feels a little unfair to say this, I found it a little dated and supercilious but it has to be seen in the context of when it was written and if that is done then it is a very worthwhile read.

4.0 out of 5 stars it makes you think, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mysterious Stranger (Literary Classics) (Paperback)
this book was recommended by serial killer Richard Ramirez didn't think id be able to get into it but I did and loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 12 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Mind Blowing Genius, 28 Dec 2010
M Ebbs "Matt Ebbs" (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
I could rave and rave about this book, but I shaln't, as prospective buyers, I should imagine, want short and sweet, so here goes- Not only is it one of Mark Twain's best, which is saying a lot as i'm a HUGE fan, it is also one of the best, yet sadly most under-recognised works of modern literatuare to this day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twain's best, 19 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Mysterious Stranger (Literary Classics) (Paperback)
I, having read Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, picked up "No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger" expecting yet another light-hearted romp.
I got a masterpiece instead.

Mysterious Stranger (Literary Classics)
Mysterious Stranger (Literary Classics) by Mark Twain (Paperback - 1 Sep 1995)