5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, clearly written, excellent value
Published on 27 May 2009 by Reader from Belgium

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent - but certainly not sensational.
Published on 15 May 2010 by J. Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, clearly written, excellent value, 27 May 2009
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
This book is a visual treat, and like one of the other reviewers, I found that there are only a couple of the patterns that I didn't like. If I had to pay a euro (or dollar) for each of the 50 patterns, the book would still be excellent value. The photography is beautifully done, making it easy to see how the stitches should look, and making for an inspiring read. This is a book you could leave on your coffee table for people to enjoy leafing through. Anyone who has ever crocheted at any point in their lives will be moved to pick up their hook and yarn and get busy.

There's a page in the back with a reminder (i.e. drawings and text) about the various stitch types, for those whose crochet skills have got a little rusty. The patterns are written in American crochet terminology, but if you're not accustomed to that, don't worry, because there's a conversion table in the back that gives the British equivalents.

5.0 out of 5 stars something for almost everyone, 13 Feb 2008
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
I'm a great collector of afghan patterns, but this one will become a favourite. From the complex colour of the cover pattern to fast, big hook,thick/ multiple ply yarn designs, there's something here to please the adventurous, the classicist, and those in a hurry.
The patterns include several single colour, textured designs, including a lovely celtic cable. There are a few that use different qualities of yarn in one pattern( mohair and ribbon for instance) and a some that have elaborate block designs. There are many that are rated as easy enough for a beginner, none are really difficult.
US books often have overtly patriotic designs that I resent paying for, but this book has only one, and no cutesy designs specifically aimed at children. I found only two designs here that I really disliked, mostly these are attractive useful patterns that would be appropiate as gifts for all ages .

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 sensational crochet Afghans & Throws, 2 Jun 2009
Kofoed P. Helle (Fagerfors, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
I just bought this book myself because I love to crochet, and I just love it. There are so many wonderful projects in it to make and the only problem will be where to begin. There are great color pictures for all the projects and I think that there will be something here for everyone. I am very pleased with this book and I am sure that you will be too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent - but certainly not sensational., 15 May 2010
J. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
I'm actually not as impressed by this book as many other reviewers seem to be - it is a decent enough collection, with some nice ideas that I would like to try - and indeed, a few that I can't WAIT to try. More than a couple of really nice and unique patterns. But if you're hoping for a book stuffed full of unusual and striking designs such as the front cover demonstrates, this may be a bit of a let down.

Some of the patterns here are very basic indeed, and many of these afghans are crocheted in repetitive rows rather than squares or patches. There are things included in the book which I feel would be boring both to make and to look at afterwards. There are more than a dozen patterns worked in just one yarn and colour, and many worked in just two or three rows.

The style of the book is also a little confusing - the design seems to be focused on at-a-glance attractiveness rather than functionality, with pictures on different pages to their patterns and pattern instructions jumping around throughout the book.

Overall I'd say this is a worthwhile addition to a collection of pattern books, with a few real gems and a variation of styles. It does have a fair amount of 'filler' though, in my view. Anyone with a bit of creativity and a working knowledge of crochet could probably throw out half these patterns on the spot.

Also be prepared to operate in translator mode if you buy this book in the UK - it uses American terms & instructions, and very almost all the yarn is American and not easily available in the UK, so you will have to find substitutions. Whilst many of these patterns are more than simple enough for beginners, the problem of translating instructions and substituting yarn might put me off recommending this book to a UK-based beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful!!!, 15 May 2009
M. Homan (netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
the book is great, the photos are so beautiful and the patterns make my fingers tingle, just can't wait to start a new afghan project!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed?, 3 May 2010
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
Looking forward to this book because of all the reviews. It's ok but a tad boring and some patterns are just too fussy. Have tested five projects on scrap wool but after doing a few squares/1 foot sections of each project to show willing (since I have bought the book) I couldn't get up the enthusiasm to actually plan a proper project. I suppose the book is there to inspire, but less is more. Have expected something exciting from an "inspirational" book in this age of revival in crocheting. Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, 9 Jun 2014
Borg Queen (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
This book was on my wanted list. On the internet I found it mostly hugely overpriced, until I found this one, very reasonable. Gourgious patterns!! It did take a while to get to me, but it was worth the wait :)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Things Inside., 14 Dec 2012
Loved all the patterns and illustrations, which are very clear. I think this is a book for the crocheter with some experience but could inspire a lot of people to take up crocheting.

5.0 out of 5 stars crochet book, 2 July 2011
Rees Ruault (Pays de Galles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
fantastic book, I can't stop looking at the patterns they are gorgeous! With all the book I have bought for crochet and knitting this is my favourite of all!

5.0 out of 5 stars You know you want to, 6 Mar 2010
M. Robbie "Maisell" (Edzell, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws (Paperback)
Wanted the book as soon as I saw the front cover....it didn't disappoint. Glorious detained photos throughout. Never again will I think of crochet as just something my Grannie did. Being a knitter myself the patterns take a bit of getting used to but the book has a good glossary which helps, it also gives the american/british alternatives to the stitching terms.
Dont be put off by the intricacy of the pattern on the front cover, there are lots of beautiful projects inside for beginners as well. Go on you know you want to!

50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws
50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws by Bobbie Frits (Paperback - 1 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: £49.67