Format: Paperback|Change

Although being heterosexual I did enjoy this book I must admit that if I was gay I would have probably enjoyed it more. It is 30's London and Paul Lemoyne arrives in the city. Paul immediately finds himself having gay sex in the station toilets and then when he gets a job at 'The Palace of Varieites' he ends up prostituting himself. There is a lot of sex here, including spanking and watersports, so if you like your books down and dirty you should enjoy this.

There were some things I didn't like about this story though. At times I thought I was reading something based in Victorian times, and Paul immediately gets into the whole gay scene although at the beginning there is no inclination that he is in any way gay. For a stimulatingly dirty read this is good, but it lacks a certain something that you find say in Tipping the Velvet (Virago V).

If you are not gay you may find this book a bit too much and be offended (fortunately I wasn't), so I would strongly recommend you to steer clear. I liked this but I didn't love it, but even so I will probably try another book by this author sometime in the future.
on 18 November 2006
This is the book I wish I'd written myself. It's sleazy and highly explicit; not for the faint-hearted. But it summons up brilliantly the atmosphere of the Halls and of the queer subculture of the thirties, (not that I remember!)

Paul Lemoyne is a pretty unpleasant character, but like his few real friends, you can't quite abandon him, and despite yourself, you care what happens to him. I suppose the fact that he knows he's behaving badly is a considerable redeeming feature. The end suggests that this may be the first of a series -- I would guess a trilogy -- a prospect which makes me very happy.

The book is written in spare prose and with a lightness of touch which makes it a pleasure to read.
on 21 January 2014
Ok, so there is a lot of sex in thus book and as you would hope and expect from this author it is graphic. However, the story is really good with some excellent characters. I loved it and hope there will be a sequel...and soon.
on 20 January 2010
Does what it says on the tin; erotic storyline, but enjoyable for reasons other than the obvious. Can recommend it.
on 25 September 2013
Slightly disappointing compared to his Mitch Mitchell series. So if you are going to read this one do it before the Mitch Mitchell ones.
on 13 October 2014
Not literature, just a shagfest. Fine if that's what you want (to read!) but not my type of book or even, to me, erotic.
on 20 July 2015
For some light hearted gay sex writing this is difficult to beat
on 15 August 2015