5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading for both medical and non-medical readers., 20 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Dying Well: Peace and Possibilities at the End of Life (Paperback)
I first heard Dr. Byock interviewed on the Diane Ream(?sp) show on NPR when his book was just out. I knew I had to read it for myself and I was not disappointed. The way the information about how things can be handled in a supportive respectful way for all of those involved at the end of life is the best written guide for many of the difficult situations out in the real world that I have found. If we would take advantage of this kind of informed material and spread the good news that death and dying are not to be feared but that we can be helped through it to the benefit of our own well-being and at the same time relieving the suffering of those who are in the last stages of this life, the support for "assisted suicide" would be revealed as the feeble sham that it is. Hospice is a poorly understood and underutilized organization which deserves a second look as well as our support both in time and resources. I had to read this book in small "doses" to take it all in and it was well worth the effort! CF

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone who has a dying person in their life, 13 Feb. 2013
This is a great book that I have bought many copies and given to people who are dying or have someone who is dying in their life.

A easy read, but also a tough read because of the content.

Obviously if you are buying for someone else, please read and decide for yourself if it is suitable.

5.0 out of 5 stars really put things into perspective, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dying Well (Kindle Edition)
As a student nurse, I was advised to read this book by one of my mentors. the book is not written as story but as accounts of families who experienced a loved one dying and how their last few times were precious and how they were helped by thing that were done. the book gave me such an insight of how a range of feelings and emotions occur in these situations and allowed me to see this from both a personal and professional view! Personally i think this is a very touching book, but get the tissues ready as on time i found myself crying and laughing at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering, 2 Mar. 2014
For families who are caring for a friend or family member who have been diagnosed with a life threatening illness, this book shares other families experiences, how they coped. It is not a casual read, but invaluable insight, and encouragement for those in this situation. I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique and personal narrative illustrating how joy and opportunity can be found in dis-ease, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Dying Well (Kindle Edition)
Dr Ira Byock is an amazing writer, humans being and advocate. This book will give a new perspective to anyone who reads it.

Dying Well: Peace and Possibilities at the End of Life
Dying Well: Peace and Possibilities at the End of Life by Ira Byock (Paperback - Mar. 1998)