5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Book
Published on 4 Oct. 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Very difficult book to use
Well written and really positive and 'go-getting', but unfortunately very difficult to use.

There's way too few pictures, so you regularly have a guess about the technique, and the layout means you're constantly having to stop and hunt out pages elsewhere in the book.

Published on 18 April 2008 by Rosey Lea

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Book, 4 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Smart Girls Do Dumbbells: Develop the Leanest, Healthiest, Sexiest Body You've Ever Had in 30 Minutes 30 Days 30 Ways (Paperback)
I've had a very attractive set of pastel-hued dumbbells sitting in the corner gathering dust for years now. On a recent shopping trip I was utterly horrified to see myself in the changing room mirror - flab and sag all round - not a pretty site. Time then, I surmised, to dust off my dumbbells and tone up my weak and weedy body. Of course, having a set of dumbbells at your disposal and actually knowing what you're supposed to do with them are two entirely different things. Joining a gym is my idea of going straight to hell (and I couldn't possibly afford it anyway) so I was very happy indeed to discover "Smart Girls Do Dumbbells", which specifically sets out to show you how to workout in the comfort (and convenience) of your own home with little more than a set of cheap dumbbells.
The book gets straight down to business in a no-nonsense, friendly and non-threatening way. It is specifically written for women (of all ages and fitness levels) and the author's "Smart Girls" philosophy is encouraging and motivational without being irritating or twee. She has over twenty years experience as a Personal Trainer and you very much feel that you are in a safe pair of hands. There is no hype and, thankfully, no glossy images of impossibly toned, glamourous bodies to make you feel inadequate. Just good sound advice and an easy-to-use, well-designed fitness regime that aims to help you tone and shape all the major areas of the body, including tums and bums, thighs, arms, back and chest. Each exercise is thoroughly described, paying particular attention to detail to ensure you perform each move with proper form and technique. Sensible questions are asked and answered authoritatively and you are left feeling that you really can achieve your goals in a realistic way. All-in-all highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 7 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
I bought this book a couple of months ago. I was looking for something easy to use in front of the television. I get a little bit of exercise through walking each day, but wanted to do something to give me more shape. I used to go to the gym fairly regularly about 7 years ago and i have to say that this book did the job just as well! You have to have the dedication to stick with it, but most of the workouts only take about 15-20 mins and just about anyone can fit that in in front of their favourite tv programme.
I've found that i have lost a bit of weight because i have been dieting at the same time, but overall i haven't lost very much. The difference has been in my body shape. Allthough the scales don't say much i've had a lot of compliments from people and it has helped my midriff and arms to get more shape.
I have given this a four and a half out of five because i don't think the layout of the book is quite as clear as it could be and it can be tricky flicking from the exercise it tells you to do, to the specific instruction for that exercise. But this is a small price to pay and i highly recommend this as a VERY cheap alternative to the gym. The only thing extra you really need to buy is a set of dumb bells.

4.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging and positive., 2 Feb. 2007
I couldnt put this book down. Written by a woman for women - what more could you ask for?! Judith is so encouraging and positive in the book and it almost seems as though she wrote the book just for me. She knows what I am thinking and how I feel about things - of course she does, she is a woman! I had bought a different book before this one, witten by a man for women - why you ask? I dont know! I much prefer this book and would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Varied 30 day workout, 31 May 2007
EmmAngel (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
I've been using this book for a few months now. I was getting bored with my exercise routine using just a rowing machine. This keeps me going by being varied with a different work out for each day for 30 days. I wanted to use weights but didn't know where to start or what exercises to do. This book is like having a trainer telling you each day what to do, and it's only 4 or 5 dumbell exercises a day, so it wasn't difficult to add to my normal routine with the rowing machine and it wasn't so much that you want to give up.

I know it's helped my arms especially, as they are now slimmer and more toned.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the future, 2 Oct. 2012
The more I read about this book the more I knew I had to at least buy it and read it. I am still reading it but have already put into practice the programme. As other reviews I would agree about having to flick backwards and forwards to make sure you are following the right exercise and how it should be carried out but once you accept that and not use it as an excuse to give up it's great (there are ways around that anyway !!). I think that it will be an excellent guide for me for a very long time to come. The instructions are easy to follow and the number of exercises overcomes any thought of becoming bored with the workouts. Having said that Judith Sherman-Wolin does suggest that other like for like exercises may be incorporated for variety so there is an added flexibility to her pre-programmed workouts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 May 2010
Natalie Hill - See all my reviews
I bought this book along with the York Vinyl dumbell kit. The introduction before you even pick up a weight is quite lengthy but important if like me you've never lifted weights before. The 30 ways in 30 days programme is a great way to add variety to your workout and i began to see results in a week! Highly recommended book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very difficult book to use, 18 April 2008
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I wish they'd do a new version that was spiral bound, had more pictures and told you exactly where to find all the cross references!

4.0 out of 5 stars I can recommend for sure, it works, 23 Aug. 2011
I was trying to loose extra pounds around my belly when a friend of mine suggested me to do dumbells in order to tone and speed up the process, what a surprise! when I started to use this book and could feel the difference on my first week using the exercises. The book is easy to use, one thing that I suggest is to take photocopies of the exercises( recipes, as they call)which will make it easier to follow without having to stop to turn pages during the routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good manual, bad title, awful colour of cover, 12 Sept. 2008
S. Yogendra "Shefaly" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
An almost too-catchy title, a Barbie-pink front cover and under-par photos do injustice to this otherwise good manual for resistance and weight training, targeted at women. I bought this book to build and maintain my own resistance training routine without going to the gym. I have earlier worked with good trainers who have taught me correct technique and the use of body weight, free weights, resistance bands and tubes and the Swiss ball. This book is a good companion for motivation and for remembering to do the right exercises in a balanced manner throughout the week.

The book is written accessibly. Judith Sherman-Wolin peppers it with stories from her clients and their experiences with exercise failure. She proposes an exercise success triad of virtue comprising knowledge, consistency and results. She recommends the equipment required for this exercise and lists their prices in US dollars which is not very useful for readers like me outside the US. She also address myths related to bulking up.

The book could be organised a bit better. For instance, stretches are listed in Chapter 7 and exercises do not appear till Chapter 10. It can be disorienting for users who have not worked out in structured gyms before. The photos could have been better, probably even in colour. However the breathing techniques are explained which are not ordinarily found in many books. For those, who do not want to devise their own routine, the 'exercise menu' at the back is very helpful in maintaining a balanced workout with weights.

I recommend the book but I should add, just as Sherman-Wolin says, motivation is necessary to get results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book - shame about the title.., 14 April 2008
K. Shepherdson "katfrinmouse" (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book a month or so ago and I use it.
I can't say I've followed it religiously - I managed the first 10 days of the plan and then I got a virus which forced me to take a week off everything apart from survival chores and work. I picked it up and now I'm on day 15.
I haven't lost weight and I haven't lost any inches yet so no miracle cure found yet but yet - I think at least five people have asked me if I've been dieting and have been told I've lost weight. - I have no idea what exactly is going on but if this is improving the way I look it's got to be a bonus. The other thing is that I've noticed my running pace pick up over this time.
I note the comment about the layout but it's always really difficult to teach form with weights unless you are in a one to one situation - over time you won't need to flick so much and it will get easier. I really don't think a poster is the solution because I haven't got the room on my walls and due to space constraints I do my exercises in the hall way or on the "office" (don't ask). I reckon that a ring binder thing like the ones my kids have with swapping clothes on characters might work for all of us. 'Til then this isn't a bad start - I think it's great for those of us who can't spend hours at the gym 3-4 times a week and the way it splits things out day today means it all gets done in the long run.