5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful gluten-free comfort baking.
I had to add a review to balance out the previous negative review, which seems to be based entirely on having flicked through the book. The previous reviewer doesn't appear to have tried out even one of the actual recipes and is simply criticising the type of flour mix used!

Published on 17 Dec 2009 by MN

1.0 out of 5 stars English buyers look elsewhere, this is all but useless
The glowing review on here sounds like an author or publisher plant.
For UK based buyers, you'll find it near on impossible to locate the flour mix they explicitly state you must use. Where on Earth would you find in an English store potato starch (not flour), tapioca flour and 'extra fine' brown rice flour (not the usual brown rice flour)??

The answer...
Published on 26 Jan 2010 by Poledouris 4K

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful gluten-free comfort baking., 17 Dec 2009

I am gluten-free and have had this book for a couple of years - of the many gluten free recipes I've tried (especially for baking which is notoriously difficult) these are easily the most easy to use, foolproof and those which produce genuinely authentically tasty, textured "close to wheat" results. I haven't come across another gf cupcake or layer cake that comes close to matching the lightness, moistness and flavour of Robert' sponge cakes. The lemon layer cake, which I made last year with raspberry jam for my birthday, was the best, most cake-like cake I have had in all the years I've been gluten-free.

Criticising the book as "boring" for using a rice flour mix for many of the recipes seems bizarre to me, given every other standard baking book uses wheat flour. As with wheat, it's how you use it that makes the difference. For many people struggling to adjust to gluten-free life, having a standard flour mix to use that works well is a godsend. It can be extremely overwhelming and discouraging to have to source and then mix different types of gf flours for each recipe (often at great expense and waste since, of course, not all gf experiments and recipes work out well...)

This does not purport to be a "healthy baking" book. It's a comfort food baking book, just like those by the likes of Nigella Lawson, but which caters for those who are trying to find their way to make these foods gluten-free. And it does its job extremely well. The recipes are easy to use and produce great results. I'd highly recommend it to anyone learning to live gluten free and craving the kinds of baked goodies most of us grew up with.

Update: Having looked at the previous reviewer's other reviews of gluten-free cookbooks, they all seem to be based purely on criticisms of the types of flours/grains used rather than on actually having tried any of the recipes. To me this is not a fair way to review an entire range of cookbooks, particularly when people new to being gluten-free are often depending on these reviews at a difficult time for guidance. If you are in this position, again, I highly recommend the recipes in Annalise Roberts' book, they have been a godsend to me in the adjustment to being gluten-free.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite gluten free baking book, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Gluten-Free Baking Classics (Paperback)
I absolutely swear by Annalises recipes, to the point that I left my copy of the cookbook at home in NZ when I moved to the UK and I am going to order another. I love the vanilla cupcake recipe and have been making it for several years. Most people can't tell it's gluten free. The sponge cake recipe is brilliant as well. I have made these recipes in NZ and here in the UK (well the ones that I have still) and they work. The ingredients are extremely easy to get hold of - As Nature Intended has brown rice flour, tapioca and potato, but the latter two ingredients you can get in Asian stores as well. I like having a bit of extra nutrition from the brown rice flour and I find the ratio of tapioca means my baking isn't too 'gummy'.

I can't recommend this book more highly, that I'm going to buy a second copy should be praise enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars English buyers look elsewhere, this is all but useless, 26 Jan 2010
This review is from: Gluten-Free Baking Classics (Paperback)
The glowing review on here sounds like an author or publisher plant.

The answer being, nowhere, not at As Nature Intended, nor Whole Foods, nor Holland & Barret or any number of independent health food stores in London or England for that matter. So you can kiss goodbye to all of the book's recipes, as they'll turn out gritty, dry and too crumbly to eat.

A complete waste of money in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes work exactly as stated, 29 May 2012
J. Simon "gluten free foodie" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gluten-Free Baking Classics (Paperback)
This is one of the few gluten free baking books I would recommend - the recipes are for regular cakes and breads and if the recipes are followed exactly, they work excellently. I find it disappointing when a gluten free baking book suggests working simply with a gluten free all purpose flour because as an experienced baker, I can use all purpose gluten free flour in normal recipes, so why would I want to buy a book which is effectively like any other? This is where Annalise Roberts excels, the book begins with a guide to creating her gluten free flour mixes for the recipes. I personally don't like millet and sorghum which feature in her bread mix and which are used much more widely in the US where this book was written, but you can substitute white and/or brown rice flour for a flavour more usual to English gluten free baked goods.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware the xanthan gum!, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Gluten-Free Baking Classics (Paperback)
This looks like a very good book, but I couldn't try the recipes, or really rate the book, because they all use xanthan gum, which I can't use.

Gluten-Free Baking Classics
Gluten-Free Baking Classics by M.D. Foreword by Peter H. R. Green (Paperback - 1 Sep 2008)