Format: Cards|Change

on 15 September 2011
I love the artwork, it has that old dark quality to the drawings and while some of the imagery is a little creepy its all in good fun. I personally love dark, mysterious, gothic stuff and these fit the bill perfectly without going overboard.
The meanings behind the cards are easy enough to read for those who use them for tarot rather then as a collecters item and follow the rider and waite style in some of the card meanings.
The cards themselves are of decent quality, but a little big so I find I need to be careful as not to bend the corners.
Overall its a great deck for halloween tarot readings just to give a depth of spookyness to the game.
on 10 February 2016
I absolutely love these tarot cards and never thought I would use a tarot deck as much as I have this one. I have given some extremely accurate free readings to people (I don't charge) thanks to these cards. I guess you have to find the cards you connect with. I love these and also the Les Vampires Oracle but this is my favourite deck and nothing has beaten it since in terms of artistry, excellence and its thought provoking imagery. Some people think it's sinister and I understand everyone has different views but I don't find it scary at all. The images really help you to tap into that place where insights just pop out from.

I found some people loved the readings they got but didn't want to look at the cards because they scared them. To me, the characters are artistic, fun, and oddly enough the picture of the front of the Deviant Moon pack relates eerily similar to a situation in my past and subconsciously I think this is what drew me to the deck. Perhaps the images are dark to some but to me they are relatable and I also find that the same card can mean a million different things to a million different people being read.

If you find this deck scary you might be looking at it the wrong way. Every reading I have done with Deviant Moon has absolutely amazed me and I even use the deck to ask my own questions and it has always been right in the answers that it has given me. In terms of probability of drawing the exact card in the outcome position that I did in my last reading in regards to a personal question was one in 78 and I am shocked at how these cards just know what the answers are to mine and others questions.

I even used them for long distance readings. To be more specific, I anonymously read some people that I knew nothing about other than a nickname and the readings were said to have 100% accuracy. These cards are something else! I love when a reading comes together and starts making sense, everything falls into place and with Deviant Moon you get the whole story of what is going on in the person being reads life from start to finish. It is truly amazing and I have this beautiful deck of cards to thank for the readings I have been able to do for myself and others. The happiness they felt afterwards was far from evil or bad and so is this deck. I feel any Tarot Deck could be evil in the wrong persons hands.If you use Tarot to help people and give the messages to them responsibly without any fear mongering and the reading ends with the person who is being read happy then that is what tarot is about for me.
on 9 August 2015
Steampunk. Nightmare Before Christmas. Hieronymus Bosch. Where the Wild Things Are. The clockwork visions of a disturbed Victorian 5-year-old. Deviant Moon Tarot.

I've put off buying this deck for years. It was weird, it was dark, it was unsettling -- it was voted Number One Tarot Deck of All Time a few years in a row by the purple site, which annoyed me. How could it come out ahead of the Rider Waite Smith that it was clearly based on? So I thought, screw it. Who needs more darkness in their lives?

But one October, I couldn't face a month of readings with the Halloween Tarot (Kipling West, US Games). And yet, I always want to use appropriately themed decks in the weeks leading up to Samhain. So I put feelers out to other tarotists for suggestions of a dark deck and Deviant Moon came enough that I bit the bullet and purchased. The borderless edition looked more appealing than the older one, so I got that.

It's a weird deck. It is not the best tarot deck of all time. But it is a good one.

It has a horrid beauty. I don't like the macabre -- I know a lot of occultists do, but I do not. I don't care what anyone says, this deck is macabre. But it is grimness tempered with a hefty dose of innocence. The more I look at the cards, the more it seems like the work of a twisted child -- like the tarot deck that little Wednesday Addams would dream up. As dark a vision as an innocent mind could create. All of the cards have this childlike quality, and some are downright playful:

2 of Cups: Death chats up Midnight at a party. 'Hey, baby!'
5 of Swords: The victor sticks his tongue out at the defeated. 'Neener neener!'
9 of Cups: 'Oh boy, a genie!'

As I examined the cards and began to see this innocent, childlike quality of them, they also began to take on a comical aspect. So many of the images are just funny, the sort of thing that would make an odd kid, like Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice, giggle.

Knight of Pentacles, King of Pentacles, The Chariot: Examples of the odd, squat characters in the deck. If you imagine them in motion, they are even more comical. I can hear the clunking and squeaking of the little wheels. It's just funny.

There are also plenty of cards to embody the 'I'm so deep and dark' Goth teen attitude:
4 of Cups: 'I'm so bored. Screw this place.'
8 of Cups: 'No. Nothing you offer me is worth looking at. I'm out of here.'
3 of Swords: 'No one has ever felt pain like I feel pain!'

Ha ha ha ha! So actually, in some ways, the deck is quite adolescent. But then, aren't we all?

It's weird, it's dark, but it's also innocent, playful, and willing to hold up a mirror to show us when we are being emotionally immature. It's certainly a deck that feels, to me, right for the autumn of the year, in its mood and style. I like it. I probably wouldn't use it as an every day or 'go-to' deck, but it's certainly a good tarot for reading and it's a worthy addition to any collection.

Recommended.
on 1 May 2012
These card are one of the best selling since published in 2008 i believe.
I was immediately drawn to its imagery when I first saw them on Amazon and subsequently researching them futher..
The Cards are well made and are of unusually rectangle shape with fantastic imagery. I am a complete novice with the tarot and would recommend these...my advise would be if you are drawn...or still see the cards images particularly at night..then get them because they call out to you like they did to me i suppose..
on 22 November 2014
I purchased these on the strength of the images, and as other reviews have said, these are from over function and not intuitive to help Tarot readings. As I purchased them with that in mind I am not disappointed. If you are looking for an easy to understand starter set, or a set where the images serve to enhance the meaning, then these are probably not recommended. In terms of quality the printing and card stock is reasonable for the price I paid. Those dismissive of the made in China label should keep in mind that Chinese manufacturers can make a product down to a price as dictated by the customer or, and as cost continue to rise more likely in future as they cease to be a low cost base, they can make to a higher standard. This is providing of course the end retail customer is prepared to pay. Most of us want the best quality but rarely prepared to pay to get it. All a case of diminishing returns of course. These cards - slightly larger size than some at 13 x 7cm - complete with 42 instruction booklet and 17 x 20 inch custom spread sheet are a good balance between cost and finish.
on 20 September 2015
I don't understand why this deck is so often called dark - sick - not for beginners etc. From my point of view it's beautiful stylised art. It's intuitive to read and frees the mind.

I also believe that any deck can be a deck for someone new to tarot. If you feel drawn to a deck - then it's a deck for you - and you build your own relationship with it. There are no rules :)
on 26 October 2011
This cards are fantastic! They are a work of art and are also very well packaged (in a sliding our display box/sleeve). The style of the illustration may be very frightening for reading tarot to those who aren't so thick skinned, but I believe every tarot reader needs a truly beautiful tarot deck as well as a generic/tame version.
on 11 January 2013
A rather macabre deck, nevertheless, I find the imagery works very well for me. There's something beyond the first glance at the pack, which can unnerve some, that takes you beyond that initial impression and ceases to be quite so dark, somehow. The deck isn't complicated or full of distractions, making it wonderfully easy and clear to read. This is the pack I keep coming back to, despite owning several different types, because this pack is the one that doesn't distract.

The pack itself is robust, but the large cards make it difficult to shuffle. The LWB is clear and handy. I haven't ever tried the Deviant Lunatic spread provided with the pack, because I haven't needed to as yet. I find the pack works with just about any spread I use.

If anything happens to my deck, or if it starts to wear out, I will certainly get another one of these, so I hope it remains available for some time to come!
on 11 January 2010
I personally love this deck. Tarot cards are very individualistic to each and every person; my general personal taste has always been the ancient and traditional Medieval and earliest Tarot packs, or visually startling artwork or imagery, and I'm not so drawn to the quirky; this is my latest and most modern deck, but somehow doesn't 'feel' modern, people have used the word surreal and this is so apt; compared to all my other decks - Rider Waite, Golden Dawn, Marseille, Visconti Sforza and Medieval Scapini packs, this is right up there; maybe even my personal favourite. Love the hauntingly disturbing imagery of this pack. Beautiful.
on 19 July 2011
I love the artwork in this tarot because of the surreal nature. It's quite Gothic in a Tim Burton style. I anticipate the relaease of the artist's companion book to this tarot. If it's anything like the tarot it's going to be amazing.