5.0 out of 5 stars A More Revealing Look at the Images
Published on 21 Mar 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Colourful but loses the line of the Original
I have not been studying Tarot long, but I have been an artist for very very long....
These cards are immediately very pretty and bright and the card backs are adorned with a delightful gold on lapis blue starry design.
Published on 12 Jun 2012 by PenFriend

5.0 out of 5 stars A More Revealing Look at the Images, 21 Mar 1999
By A Customer
As a tarot reader & instructor, I have used several decks, favoring the Rider-Waite deck for over 10 years. However, the more eye-pleasing coloring of the Universal Waite Tarot has brought out a lot of details that were much more difficult to see in the original deck. I use the deck now in my on-line and in-person tarot workshops and find that the improved clarity of the images translates into improved clarity of students' tarot readings. The rich symbolism of this deck makes it easy to interpret intuitively without prior study yet, still offers a wealth of deep, esoteric knowledge for advanced readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 11 Feb 2003
SS ROBINSON (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These are simply the finest Tarot Cards ever created. The depth of image is a credit to the artist who has given life to the otherwise flat original Waite Tarot. Especially useful are the subject’s faces, all of which now have an expression, greatly aiding all readings. If you are a beginner, buy this deck. Your speed of learning will increase. If you are experienced, buy this deck. Your understanding will deepen. Simon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Special - For Divination and Meditation, 9 July 2003
By A Customer
Having studied tarot for many-a-year with an occult society I can honsetly say that these cards are extra-special.
The Rider Waite cards are full of deep meaning and symbology and are, according to Paul F. Case, "A very close approximation to the esoteric deck". The author - Arthur Edward Waite - was a high adept of the original Golden Dawn society and was initiated into the mysteries of not only ceremonal magic, but also of the Tarot Keys, and he pumped his tremendous knowledge and expertiese into this pack - making it highly suitable for meditation and divination.
Now, the classic Rider-Waite pack has been re-coloured and it makes the deck stand out from the crowd. It's crisp and clear; nice and bright. It's a pleasure to browse through the deck and let the symbols soak into consciosness.
Why buy a "new-agey" deck with images which mean absolutely nothing, when you can get your hands on probably the most esoteric deck you can find?!?
These Tarot Keys are especially coded to the Tree of Life. They expound the mysteries of the Qabalah. Yet some people say they are "only for beginners"!!! Tell me, then, what deck is for the "advanced" practitioner? Which other deck - barr the Book of Thoth - can look upon and reveal the deeper aspects of Self, of life in it's aspects of past, present and future?
Don't be put off by sour reviews of this deck. It is not a "childish" deck. It was not put together to show off the artists talents. Rather, it was created to both conceal and reveal great mysteries. Take the time to *look* at the beautiful keys and see yourself - and your clients - change for the better.
For a *very* deep analysis of the Rider-Waite Tarot Keys you should consider buying "The Key to it All - Book 2" (or is it now called,"The Western Mysteries"?). Anyhow, it's written by a great man called "David Hulse". It'd also be well worth to buy the two volume book (The Eastern Mysteries, and, The Western Mysteries).
Become one of the strong ones ... buy this deck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy for beginners and pleasing to the eye., 19 May 2001
These cards are much easier to interpret and learn than the original rider waite because the colours are brighter and clearer (better for meditation) and the detail on the cards are clearer. The deck itself is easier for beginners because the cards tell a story and are easier to learn but if you want a good book to go with this particular deck try the 'Idiots guide to Tarot and Fortune Telling' I learnt to read the cards in a week with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice deck, 5 Nov 2011
Paul Keith (UK) - See all my reviews
As others have said before, this deck takes the original Rider-Waite deck to a new level by adding colour and depth to the images that was lost in the printing process in the originals. As for the comments about certain images being slightly different hence changing/losing the meaning, I would disagree. The High Priestess in my original Rider Waite deck is exactly the same as in this one. Her curtain is the same too albeit coloured in better and you can still see the pool of water behind it though the gaps at the sides. I have used these cards a couple of times now and while I have not scrutinised every single image I cannot see any significant difference between this and the original other than the enhanced colouring.

I do have an original Rider-Waite deck and I've been comparing the cards side by side, like for like. If anything this deck has shown me things in the original images that I never noticed before as they are not obvious due to the black lines and dark areas in those images. It's surprising how much difference it makes having the images enhanced in this way - I have several more artistic decks which I prefer to the Rider-Waite as that deck is quite flat and archaic, yet this "new improved" version makes it all the more appealing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice deck, 29 Nov 2008
I already own the standard Universal Waite (UW) Tarot Deck and decided to purchase the pocket version as the size is more practical, especially if space is limited. The pocket UW is a very nice deck; the cards are a good size (about the same as bridge-sized playing cards) and if you have small hands you will find them easy to handle and shuffle. The finish is not as glossy as the standard UW, but the card stock is of satisfactory quality and fairly well cut. The colours are slightly darker, which gives a new perspective to the images and brings out certain details that may not be as noticeable on the standard deck. I also like the back design, which features a single gold star and some clouds. The pocket UW cards come in a very impressive, solid box that will take all but the most severe of punishments; if only other Tarot decks were similarly housed. The deck can be stored upright in its box and would look nice on a shelf. Overall, I am pleased with this deck and would recommend it as a practical, if slightly inferior quality, alternative deck that you can carry with you at all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 May 2009
SpiralTrance (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow! These cards are amazing. I have the original Rider-Waite deck but decided to get this deck after seeing some pictures of it on the interweb.

These cards have alot more depth to them and subtle symbols and meanings that aren't easily noticable on the original deck are instantly recognisable. The difference is like going from a normal television to a 52" high definition television. It's as though a veil has been lifted and you can see much further into them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Colourful but loses the line of the Original, 12 Jun 2012
The images on the cards themselves are derived from Pamela Coleman Smith's orginals and appear to have been redrawn (traced?)with a much finer line and then coloured in ( and I use that term advisedly!) with coloured pencils.
I found pencil an odd medium when a watercolour painted effect would have been far more attractive than the exhaustively crayony look of these.
'Oh dear', you may think, but then again there is something to be learned from these images which show some of the passages in the original designs anew. However, I was disappointed with some of the cards. I love PCS's design for The Sun. In this deck the baby looks sideways as though he is falling off his horse.
The sun is not the marvellous flaming arcane symbol of the Original; in the Universal RW,he a rather bland faced celestial being.
Similarly, the hand lettering on these is naively calligraphed and crude compared to the Original pack.
Strangely, Mary Hanson Roberts has included Pamela Coleman- Smith's signature on each card. Hmm.
I found this deck a naive but jolly and clear interpretation of the Original designs. I am yet to see a satisfactory re-rendering of the PCS designs. I think they do need to be re-rendered because the original artwork is lost and subsequent reprintings are a little crude, but I would like to see a fantastic esotericist and artist like Robert Place do it. He is great at line ,colour and is an erudite master of Tarot meaning.
The card stock of these is slippery and a little thin but they feel nice in the hand and are easy to shuffle.
I think these cards are intended for a more cheerful, modern appeal and they certainly are less 'soupy' and '1900's English' in colour than the Originals.
I absolutely adore Pamela Coleman Smith's art; I feel this American tarot deck is quite usable and nice, but not as beautiful and heart stirring as the English printed deck of PCS's Original Rider Waite.

4.0 out of 5 stars love them, 23 Feb 2009
I was delighted when I received this deck they come in a lovely sturdy little box and the cards themselves are beautifuly coloured giving them much more depth ( I already have a rider waite pocket deck which I have used for year's )
They are easy to handle, Im looking forward to using these and enjoying them as much as my previous deck. Worth buying !

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Universal Waite Tarot Deck Premier Edition (Cards)
As I like my cards with color, I ordered these and am very disappointed with the quality!! In fact I am appalled!!! They are blurry, the faces and colors are out of focus and outside of lines. to top it off they smell horrible... Unfortunately I won't be able to send them back because mailing them to UK form Italy would cost almost as much as the cards... I wouldn't buy them again, so I can't recommend them to others.

Universal Waite Tarot Deck Premier Edition
Universal Waite Tarot Deck Premier Edition by Pamela Colman Smith (Cards - 5 Nov 2007)