5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality Deck

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small
Published on 29 Sep 2011 by Mr. JC Frank

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality Deck, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar (Cards)
I was a little worried when I bought this deck that the cards would be too small to properly see the artwork. But at the same time, I have small hands and find large cards impossibly difficult and awkward to handle and shuffle. When they arrived the box sure did look small! The first thing that struck me on opening them was the superb quality of the printed media: beautiful to handle and not at all like one or two of the Lo Scarabeo decks I have bought recently. They almost feel more akin to plastic than card. The finish is not exactly "glossy" but more "lustre" - it really is very attractive and made a hugely positive impression on me.

As for the detail, I have had no problems at all. Even intricate artwork like the winged horse on the helmet of the Knight of Wands is visible. This is the first time, other than black and white copies in the books Mirror of the Soul or The Crowley Tarot, that I have had a chance to physically hold & study the images in person and the beauty of the deck is really enhanced by these fine cards from US Games. I can't recommend them highly enough.

They are only a little smaller than my main reading deck (The Barbara Walker Tarot) and although I bought the Thoth Pocket Swiss mainly to study the images in more detail, their size would present me with no problems for using them as my main reading deck.

I guess if you are used to huge cards the size of dinner mats these will disappoint you. But I've always felt supersize cards six inches high are more than just a little ostentacious.

By the way, I read on the little white booklet that accompanies them that in April 1904 in Cairo Crowley received voice transmissions from the hierarchial forces. Transcribed as "The Book of the Law", amongst other things it announced changes in some of the traditional correspondances. I am thinking the 7 of Pentacles in particular, which is called "Failure" in Crowley's tarot (as well as Barbara Walker's interestingly) but mostly elsewhere is interpreted as "gaining your reward for hard work".

The more I study the tarot the more convinced I am that this is THE deck to work with.

5.0 out of 5 stars small but powerfull, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar (Cards)
I bought this small version of the thoth and I can say that the pictures are very precise like in the "normal" size deck. When I travel I take this deck with me, is very practical, at home I use the bigger version!

About the deck is one of the most famous decks, with a lot of simbolism and information regarding spirituality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar (Cards)
If you are wondering about the size and quality of the cards, they are about the size of normal playing cards and are printed to a good standard. It is true that the artwork is very detailed and so suffers slightly from being compressed onto a smaller card but in my opinion the portability of the deck makes up for this.

Although many people love the artwork, on first impressions I found the deck quite severe and complex, however, after some minor perseverance it becomes clear how important this deck is and how well it fits in with the study of the Qabalah and other esoteric subjects. I thoroughly recommend this deck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small, 29 Sep 2011
Mr. JC Frank - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar (Cards)
These are beautiful cards with excellent colour and detail. However, I need a magnifying glass to see them. They are too small for the complexity of design and a waste of money. I wish I had bought the big set and not bothered with these. I cannot justify spending again to buy the other set and will probably throw these out. I will stick to my old ones which work. Shame though as I had always wanted this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Deck, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar (Cards)
I really love the Thoth tarot deck. Absolutely beautiful cards. These are the smaller set which I find are more manageable to use and handy to carry with you. (I also have the larger ones which are also beautiful but better used to study the cards than to do readings with them.) These arrived quickly and in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar (Cards)
This is an excellent reproduction of the Thoth Tarot. The card are probably about playing card sized, with a handy booklet which explains basic meanings of the cards. I'm rather a fan of the reproductions of the images, and don't find them too small, though if you want real detail, then obviously you want the larger sized ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars They are very tiny, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar (Cards)
I do like these cards but they are very tiny and I would say that you do need good eye site to see the finer details on the cards.
They are perfect to have in your handbag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Oct 2014
one ov the most good decks that I have ever usd

2.0 out of 5 stars Baby sized, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar (Cards)
As the crowly deck only used to come in two sizes, the rather large and difficult to use and the normal size....I belived this to be the normal sized pack and not a size intended for a child. Wasn't made clear...... Very dissapointed will buy from a shop next time. and am still waiting for another item to arrive......on line shopping is a nightmare!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Artwork, 13 Jun 2002
MR J R DURBIN (Buckinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Thoth Tarot Cards are an amazing deck with intricate artwork commissioned by Lady Frieda Harris and design by Aleister Crowley, These cards are a fantastic gift idea and are very good for use with tarot card readings, all in all, a must for anyone who enjoys the occult, or just reading tarot cards for fun

Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar
Crowley Pocket Thoth Swiss Tar by U S Games Systems (Cards - 10 Nov 2007)