5.0 out of 5 stars For the Child in all of us
Published on 2 Mar 2005 by Margaret A. Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars So So!
Not quite what l expected. l do not see myself reading with this tarot. As the title says it is whimsical, but may be better suited to a younger person who is just getting into reading tarot.
Published 15 months ago by Louisa

5.0 out of 5 stars For the Child in all of us, 2 Mar 2005
Margaret A. Foster (Quakertown, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whimsical Tarot Deck (Cards)
The Whimsical Tarot approaches the reading of cards from a completely different aspect -- by associating with childhood images and fairy tales. This deck allows us to connect with our "inner child". Although the name may suggest this is a less than serious deck, this deck is a very valuable tool in discovering our inner selves and helping us reconnect with those simple things that give us joy.
The images on the cards do not obviously correspond with the imagery from our experiences with the Rider-Waite style of decks. Gone are the confusing "Quabalah mystery" symbolism that we pondered and studied in order to interpret the meanings of those older decks. This is the use of simple and obvious imagery that gives us instant insight into the meaning of the cards.
The images are drawn from well known fairy tales and are familiar to just about anyone. The art work of Mary Hanson-Robert is clean. She gives us very colorful images that attract attention but are not obtrusive. The art work is not distracting, but is lovely to sit and reflect upon.
As we explore the deck, we find some familiar tarot references. We do have a Major Arcana comprised of 22 cards, all clearly marked with the number of the card in its order, and the name of the card. There is no mistaking the card's association. The Fool - 0 - is the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. If you look at the tarot as a personal journey of the one who begins as a fool, this association is very obvious. We have the symbolism of the yellow brick road, we have Toto and so much more. The Magician is Puss in Boots, the High Priestess is the Fairy Godmother. There are some very interesting associations, as with The Emperor being Father Christmas, the Old Woman in the Shoe for the Emperess, Judgment using The Cricket from Pinnochio, Glinda for The World, "Goldilocks being discovered" as Justice. The images are so obvious in some instances, yet they challenge you to use your own judgment and personal insights.
The Minor Arcana is numbered one through ten with the court cards being page, knight, queen and king. There are four suits: rods, cups, pentacles and swords. The cards are clearly marked with the name on each. However, the suits symbol does not necessarily appear in the graphic on the card. As with the page of Cups, we see a crystal ball supported by golden fishes with morning glories growing around the ball. The meaning is clear; we are looking to the future. What we are looking for is what we must answer or ourselves.
Each card gives us the same kind of feeling. We see the familiar, what we have grown up with and are very aware of. What we need to do is examine why this card is speaking to us - what is it that we can associate with ourselves in this card.
I also find myself drawing on my own knowledge of the tarot and associations when I am using this deck. While someone who is not familiar with the traditional meanings of the tarot will find this a very easy and fun deck to use, those of us who are trained in the traditional meanings will not find this "foreign" as there are familiar associations here. When we look at the "Two of Cups", the traditional meaning being a lesser "Lovers" card, it's association is still retained with the story of the "Owl and the Kitty Cat", so we are not totally out of familiar grounds. Pentacles still retains its meaning of material matters while cups still reflects inner emotions. The "Ten of Swords", a card of chaos and mistakes, shows the story of Humpty Dumpty falling off the wall. The traditional meanings are not told in the mysterious symbolism but in very obvious and well thought through imagery.
There are small details on the cards that also attract attention. In the "Seven of Cups", a card traditionally of choices, we see a divided road, presumably the yellow brick road from Oz, forking off in many directions, with a multi-sign post. If you read the little signs, we see choices like Emerald City, To Market To Market, Rabbits Hole, Ginger Bread Lane, Rapunzel's Tower, McDonalds Farm and the Castle. The associations with these choices leave one with much to ponder. It is details like this that allow special reflection and a good look at one's inner self. And these special touches make this a remarkable deck.
There is the usual box that is provided by U.S. Games, and a small booklet with some quick references for interpretation. However, I would highly recommend that you get the book that accompanies this deck, as there is much here that you should dwell upon, and look into. I have not seen the "Box Set" that is supposed to be available, with the deck and book sold together and I bought the book and the deck at the same time even though they were sold separately. I have reviewed the book as well, under the book's listing.
I love this deck for personal contemplation. And I do not mean this as being a deck you should use only for yourself. I have used this deck for clients who wantedto examine their own personal feelings and issues and it has provided much insight. It works as well with clients as it does with personal readings.
I would also like to suggest that if you have a youngster who is interested in tarot cards and readings, that this would make a perfect first deck. As our children watch us using the cards, they will also want to explore the path with you, as all children look to their parents for guidance. This deck is so perfect for the younger apprentice that I couldn't think of any deck more perfect for the "almost teenager" or the "First Deck" gifting.
If you are looking for something that is perfect for a holiday gift, or someone just starting, or the "first deck" give this deck a viewing and see if you don't agree this could be the deck for you. boudica

5.0 out of 5 stars Winning Whimsical Tarot, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Whimsical Tarot Deck (Cards)
I have lots of tarot decks and always keep an eye out for a deck that's new to me. I read the review of Whimsical Tarot on Aeclectic Tarot's website and decided to buy it to add to my collection, and to maybe use for readings if I resonated with the deck. What a delightful tarot set this is ! I'm not a huge fan of 'dark' decks (even though I do have one or two) and find that I get better readings from 'lighter'cards. The cards in this deck are based on fairy stories - similar to The Fairytale Tarot although that deck features tales from Aesop's Fables and more classical fairy stories whereas Whimsical Tarot uses the common Jack and Jill type nursery rhymes as well as traditional Cinderella type story. The 5 of Pentacles ( always a card I use to see if I agree with the designer of whatever deck I'm looking at ) shows The Ugly Duckling, and The Magician is Puss in Boots - wonderful ! Here are two more - Aladdin's Genie is 9 of Cups, and 6 of Cups shows Peter Pan and Wendy. I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars So So!, 19 Sep 2013
Louisa (England UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Alternative Deck, 5 July 2013
This review is from: Whimsical Tarot Deck (Cards)
I expected to love this but I didn't find all the 'minor arcana' cards to my liking. The Death card - The Sleeping Beauty in this deck - regrettably (for those who don't realise it means positive change) remains with the word Death on the card - what a shame it wasn't changed to Transformation or Release or something like that as in the Psychic Tarot of the Heart or Doreen Virtue's Angel Tarot. Nevertheless an interesting 'alternative' deck with some great cards. Santa as The Emperor - lovely! PS Wands are called Rods on the cards - I prefer Wands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Whimsical Tarot Deck (Cards)
Excellent deck to play with kids and remember your past!
There aren't evil cards, mostly it's images are taken from old folklore stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful deck, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Whimsical Tarot Deck (Cards)
This is a very beautiful deck with a positive feeling. I love it. But, being a Theme deck, it should have a deeper lwb. or at least it should include the name of the tales/ stories that served as inspiration for the cards. But it doesn't!! (hence the 4 stars) so, depending on your cultural background, you may, or not, identify the stories portrayed in the cards. In my case,there where many unknown stories, and so I will have to work and do some research to be able to use it.

2.0 out of 5 stars beader, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Whimsical Tarot Deck (Cards)
I bought this deck on the review of others. On opening the deck they were lovely but then this tiny booklet fell out. It was the accompnying booklet for the cards. ABOUT 5 WORDS FOR EACH CARD!! AND NO INDICATION OF WHICH FAIRYTALES OR RHYMES ARE ON THE CARDS - pretty USELESS I would say.

Whimsical Tarot Deck