5.0 out of 5 stars Update to my review "A lifeline if book's guidelines..."
Published on 20 Mar 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very helpful
Sorry to say I didn't find this book all that helpful at all really, it looked like it would be full of self-help ideas, but none of them seemed to work or seemed to even make much sense to me, sorry!
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by Faith

5.0 out of 5 stars Update to my review "A lifeline if book's guidelines...", 20 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Taking Control of TMJ: Your Total Wellness Program for Recovering from Temporomandibular Joint Pain (Paperback)
I thought I'd update my earlier review of this book ("A lifeline if book's guidelines..."), now that I have finally had my much-anticipated assessment with the Consultant in the TMJ Unit in the Dental Hospital in March 2004. As a result of following the advice given in the book for many months now, all the Consultant could say to me was, "You've done our job for us. Well done!" I shall not be having any treatment at all from them, unless the TMJ does not continue to improve. They believe that I should be able to put the TMJ behind me if I carry on following the book.
I am not cured yet, but the TMJ no longer rules my life. It is much more tolerable. Of course, I still get some bad days, but the understanding of the condition which the book has given me means that I know what to do to help it improve. The lifestyle modifications I have made to overcome the TMJ are second-nature by now. Although a little restricting, such methods as ensuring proper posture at the computer, modifying eating habits, and performing daily exercises are a small price to pay for relief of TMJ. P.S. I think the fact that the Consultant made a note of the book's name and author speaks volumes!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifeline if book's guidelines followed religiously, 15 Sep 2003
By A Customer
My TMJ was as bad as one could get, and I did not know how I could survive the 6 month waiting list to see my TMJ consultant for the first time. I had reached the point where I could barely touch any part of my face or even brush my hair. I was at the end of my tether. On receiving this book, I initially made the mistake of skimming through it many times, and following certain guidelines only. I only had a slight improvement of my symptoms. However, I persevered, and read and reread it thoroughly, and started to follow all the guidelines religiously. It DID take a while, but after some months I can honestly say that my TMJ symptoms are 10 times better. I am actually starting to wonder whether the Dental Hospital will wonder why I have been referred to them! The biggest improvement I saw was after buying a neck support pillow. Until then I was still in dire straits. It is a gradual process, but well worth persevering. TMJ is a horrible thing, but there is hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex, common conditions made understandable for selfhelp, 23 Jan 1999
By A Customer
I am "Cheryl" in chapter 2--you can really use this information to your advantage--I still use many of control ideas every day. With awareness and follow-through comes relief and even prevention for reoccuring problems. You may not remove the cause but have better control of results

5.0 out of 5 stars On The Road To Recovery From TMJ, 18 Jun 2010
I have suffered from cluster headaches and throbbing pain behind my eye for years. After having eye tests and numerous visits to the doctors I was given anti depressants (they are prescribed for neuralgia) which the doctor thought I had.

Just recently my headaches got worse accompanied by a stiff neck and shoulder. I was given the name of a Bowan therapist to help with the neck and shoulder problem and off I went.
She examined me from head to toe, watched how I walked and moved when sitting down etc. She then told me I had TMJ! My jaw has always clicked when chewing and I know I have a habit of clenching my teeth when under stress but I wouldn't have guessed that it had any relation to my head and shoulder pain.

To cut a long story short, the Bowen therapy; which treats the whole body and gets it back into alignment, plus the TMJ book has got me back on the road to recovery.

The TMJ book is easy to follow, with correct ways to move the body without causing stress to the muscles plus exercises for the jaw.
It must be said, it wont be an overnight cure but if you stick to the exercises laid down in the book and use all the information given you will start to feel the results in a couple of weeks.
Don't be put off if at first your symptoms seem worse after a couple of days into the exercises, it's just muscle ache because you are using them in a different way.
I haven't had to use my ice packs on my head now for a couple of weeks and have cut down on pain-killers. I recommend this book to anyone who has any kind of head neck or back pain as simply grinding or clenching teeth can have a knock on effect to the rest of the body.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone suffering from TMJ !, 7 May 1999
By A Customer
I've suffered from TMJ for 10 years and none of my health care professionals knew how to treat it. This book should be required reading in ALL dental schools! It is the most current, comprehensive and helpful book I've ever read on the treatment of TMJ disorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a well written, concise guide for TMJ sufferers., 21 July 1999
By A Customer
Dr. Uppgaard has given us a blueprint for the conservative treatment of TMD and related conditions. I give this book to all of my TMD patients.

5.0 out of 5 stars taking control of tmj review., 5 Aug 2009
i suffered from mild tmj for about a year. again like others i have sought medical help (dentist/GP) i'm actually still waiting for an orthodontist appointment- good old NHS...tired of waiting and pretty deperate i bought a mouth guard from amazon and then this book. within 3 days of only mildly adhering to it's very comprehensive and simple plan i had noticed that my pain had gone from 60% to about 10%...the relief is unreal. this book really helps you understand your condition muscle to muscle and shows how this largely "untreatable" ailment is definately treatable! tips on bad habits, like posture and jaw clenching) right through to what dietry requirements help heal your joints (another good buy from amazon was some glucosamine sulphate 500 mg- not mentioned in the book but considered helpful by many in the field).
i also had a dentist appointment today and they asked about the book and the quick result almost like i was there to waste their time! i explained about it and they were impressed!
in conclusion- it's simple/it doesn't baffle you with hopefull 'just reduce stress' bushllit/it helps you target bad habits/it helps you access trigger points to reduce muscle tension/ it provides easy excercises and discusses tmj in a clear nicely illustrated way! Best of all it worked for me! simply amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uppgaard's "Taking Control of TMJ" was a revelation for me., 14 Jun 1999
By A Customer
He accurately described and diagnosed the cause of the muscle pain I had been experiencing for over a year. The techniques and knowledge I have gained from reading his book have been a tremendous help and will continue to be so in the future. Thank you Dr. Upggaard!

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking Control of TMJ, 31 May 2009
S. Harries - See all my reviews
A very useful book if you suffer from TMJ. It makes you realise that you are not the only one who suffers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read on TMJ so far, 23 Jun 2014
I couldn't be more grateful for finding this book!

It provides a wealth of information on TMJ that you would otherwise spend ages trying to find online. It gave me explanation to everything I ever needed to know about my TMJ disorder. I even gave up seeing my very expensive cranio-facial surgeon because this book contains everything I ever needed to know.

The book contains precious advice on exercise, nutrition, oral and general fitness health. It has made a difference to how I live my days.

It has helped me control and manage my condition. I am now more often pain-free than before. If you suffer from TMJ - BUY THIS BOOK! It will change your life!