4.0 out of 5 stars I didnt believe it.... I was wrong
Wow, I was involved in a motorcycle accident in April 2003 and suffered compund fracture among other injuries. After spending five weeks in hospital i returned home to my husband walking out on me.
Published on 8 May 2004 by claire

3.0 out of 5 stars Suitabilty for PTSD as a result of murder bereavement
Published on 2 Oct. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Suitabilty for PTSD as a result of murder bereavement, 2 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: I Cant Get Over It 2nd Ed: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors (Paperback)
This book is packed with info a lot of which is very helpful. The author uses lots of examples of different traumas which resulted in PTSD. However, has not used having a loved one murdered as an example, although a very high proportion of those who have had a loved one murdered have PTSD. Some of her ideas are bit harder to apply to those who have had a loved one murdered because she does not apply them to murder bereavement. "Unspeakable truths and Happy Endings" is a PTSD book which deals allot with murder bereavement and may be a more suitable alternative.
Also this is a workbook and to do it requires lots of hard work (at your own pace). Not everyone may be ready for this or have the support to do it but it may point you in the right direction and all the information is very helpful. She also uses a cognitive-behavioural approach with although common leaves you with your feelings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 22 July 2003
I Can’t Get Over It-A handbook for trauma survivors (second edition)
By Dr Aphrodite Matsakisi is a hand/workbook especially written for trauma survivors. Matsakisi is a professional who specialises in post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and childhood sexual abuse. The book is very comprehensive so it can be used by those unable to move past any trauma- not just abuse. Two good points about this book:
Firstly, the book includes after every chapter a questionnaire, designed to help the reader evaluate what the chapter means in relation to them and more importantly define how certain techniques can aid their own recovery. The first chapter includes an exercise on defining whether one has PTSD and what it actually is.
Secondly, as it is a handbook the reader will work through it at their own pace, preferably with a trained individual, identifying common symptoms such as flashbacks and ideas for management.
‘I Can’t Get Over It’ is very powerful so it is recommended that a lot of attention be paid to the introduction section, and in particular the caution.
The writer’s goal appears to help the survivor in their own journey of self-discovery, and more importantly hope for freedom from the chains of trauma.

4.0 out of 5 stars I didnt believe it.... I was wrong, 8 May 2004
I am now a year down the line after the accident and I have to be re-admitted for work to be done on my leg again. Iam a single mum, I am working full time. Post Traumatic Stress??? Wasnt something that happened to me, wasnt something I had time for. Even though the doctors and consultants were telling me it was what I had. I was trying to do so much, scared of standing still. I started reading this book, thinking, No Not me I'm fine, then when I got through the second chapter I thought YES this is me, I have all these symptoms. This book has made me stop and look at myself AND DO SOMETHING before I crack. Fantasic Book. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Was one of the most helpful books I have read on the subject, 25 Sept. 1998
By A Customer
It seemed every paragraph hit me hard. The book is highly informative and has excellent examples to help in insight and healing. If anyone wants to get their life moving again this would be a place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately a book for survivors, 3 Aug. 1998
By A Customer
I read this book last week and realized a lot of what is going on with me, is normal and is very imformative and reassures you. Very comforting book. Excellent job to the author

I Cant Get Over It 2nd Ed: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
I Cant Get Over It 2nd Ed: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors by Aphrodite Matsakis (Paperback - 27 Mar. 2002)