5.0 out of 5 stars No pain = no pain!
This is a truly excellent. Really clear explanations of exercises and, more importantly, the emphasis is always on working with your body, rather than pulling, forcing or wrenching, which is something that a lot of us (perhaps inspired by "going for the burn" in the 80s?) still feel is the only way to get results.
But in this book, no pain = just that: no pain. I...
Published on 7 May 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with this
Don't buy this book ,it's complete rubbish. Instead buy 'The Divided Mind' by Dr John Sarno. This book did nothing for me, 2 years ago I was in agony with RSI,my hands burned, my arms & shoulders ached constantly, I had shooting & burning pains in both arms. I bought this book & tried it for 6 months. I did the exercises religiously but it didn't help one jot. RSI is...
Published on 29 April 2012 by Ls

5.0 out of 5 stars No pain = no pain!, 7 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Repetitive Strain Injuries: A Self-Care Program (Paperback)
But in this book, no pain = just that: no pain. I was amazed how, by paying close attention to my muscles whilst doing the exercises, I could feel the subtleness of the stretches. And the muscles of my forearms are beginning to separate and behave normally again after just a couple of weeks of following Butler's advice.
I'm impressed, and have started employing the same principles in yoga, and finding equally exciting results. Thank you, Sharon!

5.0 out of 5 stars carpal tunnel syndrome, 4 May 2005
Mrs Judith Ness (York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having had to give up computer work a year ago because of such painful wrists I got to the stage of thinking about an operation on my wrists but thought I'd try this book first. I religiously do the exercises every night whilst watching TV or while waiting at traffic lights, anytime once you learn them and I can't believe I am not waking up with dead wrists any more and I can garden and type without pain. Just keep doing the exercises they really do help and the book is easy to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book replaced anti-inflammatories and gave me my life back., 2 Dec. 1997
By A Customer
Carpal Tunnel and related stress injuries struck me in mid-August and left me practically helpless for nearly 3 months. After 3 days of doing the stretching exercises in Butler's book, I was back to doing simple activities and completely off the high dosages of anti-inflammatories recommended by my doctor. I cannot recommend this book too highly. The exercises are super simple and can be done throughout the day whenever you have a moment - in front of the TV, while laying in bed, in the car at a stoplight. The exercises deal with the entire upper body, including arms and wrists. You can choose those appropriate to you and your activities. If you are not sure, Butler has a list of which exercises apply to certain lines of work. An excellent - and inexpensive - book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, 3 April 1998
By A Customer
I wouldn't have bought this book if I had had a chance to look at it, since it uses words like "bodywork", which turn my stomach, and has a somewhat new-age-y tone which repels my mind. But as it turns out, I bought it sight unseen from Amazon, and thought I'd try it out. I had started experiencing RSI symptoms about a month earlier. One evening I picked up the Butler book and did a few of the exercises. The next morning I woke up without pain in my forearms for the first time in several weeks. I still have some symptoms which these exercsises have not (yet?) alleviated, but it's definitely alleviated some, and perhaps prevented others from getting worse. The exercises are easy and non-stressful (physically or mentally). Even I -- who ordinarily hate physical exercise of any kind -- enjoy them.END

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic home therapy guide, 1 July 1998
By A Customer
Sharon's use of simple excercises combined with eay explanations cured my repetitive strain injury in 2 weeks. The excercise program only takes a few minutes per day and has some excellent advice on ergonomics that is easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely useful book, 28 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
I was a bit sceptical with this title but this is the clearest and most usfeul set of exercises I've used - I don't have carpal tunnel syndrom but did have a stiff, sore neck, aching upper limbs and tight, restricted chest and shoulder movements. This book really helped to loosen and free up my shoulders with simple, easy exercises which worked quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highest possible recommendation!, 5 Nov. 2006
Mrs. H. J. Turner "HeloiseJT" (West Country, UK) - See all my reviews
I have had this book only 2 days and have already had 2 relatively pain-free days and, most importantly, a good night's sleep - the first time in months!!!! The exercises are easy, common sense and highly effective. If you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome etc., you MUST buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars illuminating!, 8 Nov. 2010
I had been practising yoga since my early childhood. I had already studied and practised some forms of stretching, but the theories exemplified by the author have been really illuminating. The discovery that stretching has to be as soft as possible is an authentic reinterpretation of all what I knew. The author is right in stating that injuries, pain and rigidity of the tendons and joints are not a curse of the incoming age. They are instead a bitter fruit of our ignorance about what to do to heal ourselves. As for me the introduction has been more relevant than the single exercises, since I think that everyone, after understanding the method, can find variants in order to stretch at her/his best. A blessing for everyone who wants to be patient with the book and with her/his own tendons.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 16 April 2009
Becky B "Becky" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased to find an alternative to anti-inflamatory/pain killers. I have used the excercises in this book for pains in my wrists and hands and it had really helped. I have also recommended this to three friends suffering from similiar complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome etc, 22 Nov. 2011
A year after finishing work, my wrists and hands showed little improvement. I suffered from repetitive strain injuries after using typewriters/computer keyboards for many years. I tried the exercises described for my particular problems every day for about 3 months and for me the improvement was amazing. Now I do the exercises occasionally eg after I've been doing something during the day that previously would have caused me pain. I'd much rather do this than have injections or surgery! I'm very glad I found this book!