4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners who are serious about their Latin
I got this chart as a reference guide to aid me in my (very intensive) Latin course at university. The chart covers everything that I'd certainly need to know and would be very suitable for anyone studying Latin from beginner right through to university level.

Published on 20 Oct. 2011 by K. Bukowski-Kruszyna

3.0 out of 5 stars Vade Mecum for students of Latin
I bought this Latin Grammar Reference Guide to refresh my memory for
general Latin usage.
It is quite basic, does what it sets out to do, but four pages with a very
small type face does little for my older eyes. Even when wearing my new
reading glasses, I find that the addition of a magnifying glass is required
to read some of the text.
I...
Published 9 months ago by Malcolm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners who are serious about their Latin, 20 Oct. 2011
K. Bukowski-Kruszyna (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Latin Grammar: Reference Guide (Quickstudy: Academic) (Pamphlet)

The one downside to the chart is that, as it is published by an American company, the order of cases for nouns is that used in the USA and Europe - and not that used in the UK. By this I mean that the case order most UK students will be used to; nom, voc, acc, gen, dat, abl is not presented in favour of the US and European system of; nom, voc, gen, dat, acc, abl.

This makes little difference ultimately, but can be a bit frustrating when getting used to using the chart for the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy., 15 Aug. 2012
This little booklet is nicely laid out and has been conveniently punched with 4 holes to allow you to keep it in your ring binder, even if it's a 4 ring one. It's well laminated and should last for a very long time.

It would have been nice however if the text was a little bit bigger, which is why I have only given 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vade Mecum for students of Latin, 31 Oct. 2014
Malcolm (Edlesborough UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this Latin Grammar Reference Guide to refresh my memory for
general Latin usage.
It is quite basic, does what it sets out to do, but four pages with a very
small type face does little for my older eyes. Even when wearing my new
reading glasses, I find that the addition of a magnifying glass is required
to read some of the text.
I agree with other reviewers about declensions, they are presented as per
the USA rather than in the way I was taught at school in the UK.

It could have proved more useful had the US manufacturers, Quickstudy.com,
published this pamphlet in 8 pages, rather than a mere 4, and used a larger
type face. The addition of a side margin would also help those of us in UK/
Europe who would need to punch holes for European ring binders, if we were
to include it in a binder. It is almost impossible to punch new holes without
obscuring some of the wording in it's current state.

The product is a great idea, but very little thought seems to have been put
into it's overall presentation.
Larger print, and a side margin would have made it easily readable and
accessible for this older user.
I can only give it 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I needed and more..., 11 Jun. 2013
I am a first year Classical Studies student at university and have been learning Latin from scratch. For me, this guide is brilliant, it has all the grammar we have covered in a concise and clear way. I was happy to see it had even more grammar tables than we have so far learned so I continue to reference it for the academic year to come.

It is laminated, thin and easy to keep with you, even in the last minutes of panic before an exam.

The only slight gripe I have with the product is that rather than being hole-punched with 2 or 4 holes to fit a standard ring binder, my copy came punched with 3 holes spaced further apart making it impossible to add to a folder. Yet this is such a minor detail it takes little away from the overall utility of the product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware case order, 7 Dec. 2013
UK readers should be warned that the case order of the declensions is in the American style which is not that as found in UK text books

5.0 out of 5 stars Latin Quick reference, 13 Oct. 2013
Very neat and handy pocket compilation of all the most used and useful Latin terms, verbs, nouns, grammar, phrases and vocabulary

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful with one niggle, 26 April 2013
This is very useful, but there is one annoying niggle, it has holes punched for a THREE ring binder, Why?

4.0 out of 5 stars latin grammer, 17 Nov. 2011
very good for children just starting latin for quick ref ideal would highley recomended and very affordable and very prompt postage

3.0 out of 5 stars really useful, but cases are jumbled into the wrong order, 21 May 2015
Really useful and handy guide to have as a quick reference, but I'm very annoyed at the order in which the cases are presented. It is also the case with their German guide, in that it is better to learn the cases in the right order i.e. nominative, vocative, accusative, genitive, dative, ablative (and for German - nominative, accusative, genitive, dative). Never understood why American language materials always mix up the case order?!

2.0 out of 5 stars not really worth the cost, 4 Jun. 2013
could be useful but expensive for what it was- just 4 sides of A4! I would not recommend it at this price

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Latin Grammar: Reference Guide (Quickstudy: Academic)
Latin Grammar: Reference Guide (Quickstudy: Academic) by Inc. BarCharts (Pamphlet - 28 May 2004)