4.0 out of 5 stars Technology for the soul...hmmm
I purchased this book merely to find out more information concerning one of the oldest faiths in the world today...not because I believe in God, more because I am interested in what makes people believe in an entity, which they cannot see.
Published on 1 Oct 2004 by Melloney

1.0 out of 5 stars Expecting something better
My first thought when the book was delivered to me was, it is a children's book. The shinny different colours make the book difficult to read, especially at nights. One would expect that the Publishers should know that the book should be printed in a way to make it easy for everyone to read without a person having to strained their eyes to see the writing...
Published on 12 Nov 2009 by S. Mckenzie

4.0 out of 5 stars Technology for the soul...hmmm, 1 Oct 2004
Melloney "EriduSerpent~" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)
After reading through this and other books, I can see why people so urgently need to feel there is a God in their life. Many people feel trapped and alone in a very crowded, busy world and they desperately want someone to listen to them.
This book gives you good reason to want to believe, because if this guy God can do all this book says he can, then GREAT!
If "he" did provide us with the power inside ourselves to change this hopeless world of ours, then I say "Give it a try, even if you don't think there is a God".
Have a go at mass meditation; try to stop the wars, the disease, the poverty and the sadness! Try it, have a go at opening the door to your soul.
This book is crammed full with useful ways in which we can attempt to change our lives; it's a wonderful self-help manual. It's full of advice, understanding and beautiful sentiment, it doesn't force anything on the reader, it let's you decide how much or how little you wish to take in.
This is the sort of book that other "religions" should be handing out.
It's not a foot in the door, in your face, ordering about in the name of God type of thing.
The writer doesn't place blame on the reader, instead he understandingly suggests that we are all products of the stresses and strains of a modern day life.
I think Rabbi Yehuda Berg is quite cool.
The book is printed in a funky way, full of bright colours (I assume it's an attempt to drag a very old faith into a modern world). The page and text colours don't always work, some pages are actually hard to read. I thought maybe this is because the writer wishes you to peer into the book, to study the hidden meaning etc (But it might just be the work of some bad graphic artist, who knows).
It's a shame they chose to print the names of God in the colour they have, in bright light it's way too reflective. It makes it hard to picture the name in your mind...
should have been black on white.
I would have liked to have read more on the Kabbalah itself, maybe had more explanation etc...for instance why did they choose only those three paragraphs for the 72 names of God, why not any other set?
Anyway I have gabbled too much...
Basically it's an astonishing self-help book.
Meditation is good for the soul, no matter what religion you are
(even if like me, you don't have one).
We can all learn lessons from it, for instance smile more, be a nice person, concentrate on the more important things in life, like friends and family...
Be a HUMAN BEING! not a robot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., 24 Mar 2004
H. R. Trigg "howietUK" (Swindon, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)
Its very difficult to review a book like this. Personal opinion comes into play more than if I was reviewing a cd or a dvd!
Followers of Kabbalah believe that each of the 72 names of G-d relates specifically to an area of your life. (The names were hidden in code in the Torah). It is said that Hebrew / Aramaic was the orginal language spoken by all of mankind (until the Tower of Babel) and whilst we cannot understand the 'names', our souls recognize the letters. (Kabbalah believes strongly in re-incarnation.) Therefore, by meditating on the names, you soul connects with the 'light' and dependant on the name you 'scanned', depends on the improvement you will make in your life.
This book is essentially a 'tool' to enable you to make the connection.
The book is presented beautifully, more like a fashionable coffee table book than a 'spiritual' tool. Some people will have problems with this, but the reality is, this is the 21st Century, and its no doubt a necesesity~in this day and age. How do you want it presented?
A introduction to Kabbalah is included, an explanation of what you are doing, a description of each letter (one name per page) and what to 'think' about whilst meditating on each letter. (Which is important to me as I have difificulty relaxing my mind and trying not to plan my shopping list whilst trying!)
But.... does it actually work?
Well, I am a student of Kabbalah, and I do scan the letters on a regualr basis. Since doing so, I have certainly become more succesful in work, more positive, and happier. Is it as a direct result of this book? I dont know. Is it a result of Kabbalah - yes, definately. Thats either because it's real, or simply because the tools I have learnt have made me a more positive person, like self-help. (What I believe isn't important here)
Whatever reason YOU think, either way its a good thing. So what have you got to lose!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 72 names of God, 14 Mar 2005
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)
I have always had a faith in God and belived he exsisted, but i never was able to properly connect, and i'v tried everything from Christianity to Buddhism. But none of them compares to Kabbalah. Thanks to this book and the 72 names i now feel confident, less anger, and more compassion. The remarkable thing is these names WORK. Anger literly vanishes from the mind and soul, simply by looking. In this book there is no Dogma, no rituals, just simply relax, scan the letters and realise their meaning...that's it. Anyone and everyone would benfit from this book, and i promise in the end even the hardest skeptic against God will question his/her believes and that is a gift in itself. It really is a life changing book. Also anyone who doubts God, all i have to say is NOTHING+NOTHING=NOTHING, everything has a creator.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 72 Names-- A Critical Review, 3 Aug 2009
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The 72 Names of God--A Critical Review

This is a paradox for me. This is an important book (which is why I'm reviewing it) but I'm also disturbed by the economic intentions of its producers.

This is a glossy and contemporary coffee-table book. The subject matter, however, shouldn't be presented in a way that would lead anyone to think this is some kind of fad.

I think its main producer (not author)makes several interesting and true statements about how one should approach these Names. One point he unashamedly makes is that it is for everyone (regardless of one's philosophical and behavioral disposition.) I absolutely disagree as have so many credible Kabbalists throughout the past (estimated) 1800 years.

The reason for this is that these "Names" are attached to gates, "forces" that are attracted when one employs the necessary visualization and contemplative techniques. To be sure, this book presupposes that one has some familiarity with the three different types of meditation: visualization, contemplative and verbal.

There's also the interpretation of a few of the Names that is quite controversial. There are varying beliefs about the afterlife within Judaism and especially with the topic of communing with the dead. When this book first came out several years ago, I was one of the first ones to purchase it. I sent Rabbi Berg and The Kabbalah Center an email questioning the interpretation of a Name that allows for necromancy. Their curt response left a lot to be desired.

Apart from these concerns, these are, in fact, the Names that Kabbalists have maintained are the Names for Creation. Many of the Names use the same letters, and are only distinguished by permutation and the expectation that one brings.

This is not a book for everyone. One must attempt to live an upstanding life or the appeals may result in the influences from the Other Side.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expecting something better, 12 Nov 2009
S. Mckenzie "Mr. Mckenzie" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)

The 72 names of God that are in this book are not so clear. Although there seems to be some meaning to the names, the Author should know that everyone does not understand the Hebrew language. If someone want a good explaination regarding the names of God I am recommending "The Book of the Angel Rezial" edited by Steve Savedow and the Sixth and Seventh Book of Moses by Joseph Peterson. Purchasing these two books will be money well spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tries A Bit Too Hard, 20 Feb 2009
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)
I have long suspected that the teachings of Kabbalah are, in large part, similar to my own spiritual beliefs. And, for the most part, the ideas presented in this book seem to confirm that. I really liked the introductory material, and I found it to be very informative and easy to understand. With its description of the effect of ego, and the real cause of suffering, the introductory material itself is well worth reading. That said, however, I can only give this book 4 stars instead of 5, because I found the remainder of the book to be overly clever. The author worked very hard at being a "creative" writer, and I felt that he made much of the material unnecessarily obtuse.

Steven Lane Taylor, author of Row, Row, Row Your Boat: A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)
What I am saying here is don't pass this book up because you think you will need a dictionary alongside it to understand what it has to say.

Yet, in one respect I came away perplexed. In this work there seems to be a confusion of the word `soul' with the word `spirit' as if they are one and the same thing. What is even more perplexing is that it implies the soul/spirit are akin to the mind. Nothing could be further than the truth.

There are millions of books that deal with the soul. I have found only one that defines it.

Albino Luciani was Pope John Paul I who was murdered in the Vatican in 1978 after only 33 days on the job because he threatened to bring about equality of women, the remarried, homosexuals and the poor in the Church. The Vatican Murders: The Life and Death of John Paul I . As a young seminarian he would often ask his teachers: "What is the human soul?" He always got the same answer: "It is just something we don't understand."

He was astonished Christians spend their churchgoing lifetimes trying to save their souls yet have no idea what they are trying to save other than the preacher’s whim: "It is just something we don't understand."

As a result he wrote his doctoral thesis `The Origin of the Human Soul' in which he defined exactly what one is speaking of when one utters the phrase: "the human soul."

The Reincarnation of Albino Luciani: In Search of the Human Soul (based on Luciani’s thesis) describes specifically what one is talking about when one speaks of "the human soul." In a fun an entertaining way it outlines the differences between the human mind, the human spirit and the human soul. Three entirely different dimensions of man.

Why read a ‘soul’ book, any soul book, and not know what you are reading about? Why spend your churchgoing life trying to save something you don’t understand?

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be amazing, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)
This book would be amazing but for the print. The colours are glary. The most important elements of the book, the symbols are displayed very small and are very hard to see because of the colour contrasts especially the silver on light green background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 April 2013
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)
Great book, does what it says on the cover. Colourful pages. Nicely laid out and each word is comprehensively explained .

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Awesome, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul (Hardcover)
This is one powerful book and if you do these meditations properly it will change your life forever. The book is beautifully written and it explains everything in detail. I would recommend everybody to buy this book.

The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul
The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul by Yehuda Berg (Hardcover - 9 Feb 2004)