Big-block Quilts by Magic
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£17.80+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Big-Block Magic is recently published, 2006, and comes at a great time. Just when my creative thoughts were wondering what to do for lap and king sized quilts, Ms. Johnson-Srebro provides the answer. This book gives seven patterns and each pattern has three sizes provided therein - lap, wall and queen/king sized!

Along with the "how to read" the charts section, each quilt pattern has a "No-Fail" tip with it. The Basics section is a good review for the long-time quilter or a good place to start for the newbie. In this section, there are also "No-fail" tips along with "My Favorite Things". I love this as you never have too many tips and even if you new the tip, it may present a slightly different approach and give you a new idea. And once you have created your lap, wall or queen/king quilt, each pattern has two quilting designs for you to give your quilt the final touch.

Each pattern has easy to follow graphics of each step needed to create the quilt. It is all color-coordinated--the yardage and cutting charts to the actual sewing steps so you know exactly what piece goes where.

There is even a pillowcase pattern in standard, queen and king and an accent pillow pattern with NO ZIPPER NEEDED to provide your quilt a coordinated extra. This is a very simple but elegant accent pillow and one that everyone should try at least one. Who knows? You may want to make several more once you see how easy it is to make accent pillows.

The final pages have a photo gallery and the very last page is a resource listing and information about the stencils. You get all of this for a very reasonable price. This is one book that should be in every quilter's collection.
on 3 May 2012
This book has a great method of making diamond free blocks that look as if you are using diamonds. Three sizes are given for each quilt. The Carolina Lily block has a finished size of 20 x 24 has no inset piecing. I will use the method whenever I am faced with inset piecing in future as though I can do it I prefer not to. The tree block on the cover is 20 x 20 finished size. It will be used 4 times in a quilt my sister and I have designed as a gift for my niece for her 1st wedding anniversary. There are also basic baskets and houses.
on 11 October 2014