5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!
Centered Riding by Sally Swift is a mandatory read for beginner riders. What I enjoyed the most was how the author used descriptions and explanations which helped create a visual in your mind while riding. The author creates an understanding of the fundamentals of riding.
Published on 10 Feb 2003 by Jaclyn L Rothe

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth looking at for all riders, and really works for some.
Published on 29 Sep 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have!, 10 Feb 2003
Jaclyn L Rothe (St. Catharines, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Sally's techniques are easy to understand and very practical. Also, I find the techniques and analogies used in Centered Riding are easy to communicate to fellow riders, particularily if you are a trainer, and need various different ways to describe movements and techniques to students.
Not only does this book explain how to ride, it also describes the basics about the horse as well. The first chapters will familiarize you with the horse and how it moves. Any new terms introduced are explained thoroughly and frequently are accompanied by a diagram. You will learn how and why techniques have been developed and why they work.
Centered Riding will give you the base knowledge needed when starting riding and is described in a way that will not confuse the reader. All-in-all this is an easy to understand book and proves to be an asset to all riders at all levels, and should be present in all riding homes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most helpful book on riding available., 5 Mar 1998
By A Customer
Sally Swift has the unique gift of being able to transmit complex and abstract information into the written word in a simple and usable manner. I have instumented her teaching into my riding and have found that "centering" has not only calmed and improved my riding and jumping but also greatly enhanced the perfomance of my horse. My personal experience has been to relax a very "touchy" 16-3 thoroughbred to a point where she will now trot or canter with her nose on the ground when allowed. Congratulations Sally Swift, you have written an ageless and wonderful book that can only help those that read it. My hat is off to you. Robert W. Key

5.0 out of 5 stars A first class approach to riding, 6 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This is a great book for all riders. Although it is sometimes hard to understand some of the techniques and concepts, if you try looking at it in different ways for what ever suits you best, then it will possibly be one of the best ways for you to ride. I have just started trying some of the basics on my horse. She usually walks with very short, stiff strides. I just relaxed, exagerated the movement of her walk, breathed how Sally Swift tells you in the 4 basics, and my horse started walking out with long, swinging strides. Imagine what the rest of the stuff in the book can do!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful!!, 21 Aug 2007
This review is from: Centered Riding (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book that focuses on the feeling of riding instead of just giving technical descriptions of what to do. The book explains how we interact with the horse in pictures and analogies that one can keep in mind when riding. It has been of great help to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional riding knowledge from a true master!, 5 Sep 1999
By A Customer
After picking riding back up as an adult, I found that I was over thinking and had become a very rigid, "un-flowing" rider. After many lessons it still didn't click until I read this book! What a breakthrough! Sally Swift has the ability to explain the connection between you and your horse like no other author. I highly recommend this for any rider - beginner or advanced. Thank you Sally!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for every rider and trainer, 21 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Sally Swift has an amazing way of describing those feelings and ideas that some instructors and books just can't. Her imagery and ballance techniques helped me to center my weight properly as well as teach others to do the same. Wonderful for any rider or coach who wants to be ballanced with the horse and to give clear, consice aids. This book is a relly great companion to the Pony Club methodsand to the United States Pony Club Manuals (D, C and A/B levels).

5.0 out of 5 stars applies to any form of riding, 19 Oct 1998
By A Customer
i was recently involved in a centered riding clinic in idaho, after having read Sally's book. I ride saddle seat and rode western for the clinic. Sally's use of visualization is very helpful in putting it all together. I highly recommend both the book and the clinics.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have text for riders in any discipline, 10 April 1998
By A Customer
Sally Swift's book asks riders to visualize their way to a balanced, fluid, and confident riding style through targeted excercises which are easy to follow and bring immediate results. My copy is dog-eared and stained and only a year old! I use Swift's methods to help me ride beginning dressage, hunt seat, and western reining horses, and my form has improved greatly in all three. Get into the zen of riding, and get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unparralled insight into the mind of the equestrian rider, 15 Sep 1997
By A Customer
Sally Swift had to overcome major physical handicaps in order to realize her dream of riding. In order to do this she had to look deep inside herself and develop techniques that would work for herself as well as for others. Being an instructor myself I understand how difficult it is sometimes to express yourself in a manner which even the true beginner is able to grasp. Ms. Swift incorporates tremendous visual imagery into her explanations so that one may understand her point better. I have the upmost respect for this woman and her accomplishments.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth looking at for all riders, and really works for some., 29 Sep 1998
By A Customer
I know its not just me, as I have met other riders who just didn't find this book the "miracle" that many have. If visualization techniques work for you, then by all means buy this as it is chock-full of them. Ms. Swift has had a lot of influence among riders and trainers, so she does know horses and riders. However, don't feel stupid if Sally doesn't do it for you! Just as any given riding instructor is great for some riders and the worst for others, the same is true with riding books. The suggested exercises are helpful and the positive attitude is appreciated, especially for those of us who have taken up riding as an adult. However, if you find yourself struggling to understand one of Ms. Swift's metaphors for riding, this may not be the book for you. Best advice : if you have a regular trainer, discuss the book with her (or him) first.

ARRAY(0xa73b3c30)

Centered Riding 1 DVD: 1 [2005] [NTSC]
Centered Riding 1 DVD: 1 [2005] [NTSC] by Sally Swift (DVD - 2005)
19.99