Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 January 2013
"Impressed" doesn't even begin to cover how I feel about this book. So far I've made the sharp cheddar and air dried brie, and today I've got started on the fresh mozzarella. If someone had given me these, I'd have been certain they were trying to trick me into eating dairy cheese.

Be warned though; this book isn't for people after instant gratification - you need patience. Even something like the mozzarella, one of the 'quickest' recipes in the book, is going to require at least 15 hours to prepare. But the waiting has sure been worth it so far.

Now ned to find some carrageenan - I want to be able to make melting cheeses next! Imagine the novelty! A vegan cheese that actually melts!

Seriously, I have met many a vegetarian who said they would go vegan if it wasn't for cheese, and as far as store bought cheeses go, I know, the vegan versions don't leave a great deal to be desired. Well this book has you covered, so now there is literally no excuse!
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2014
Yes, it is different of course. I was expecting a different recipe for making vegan cheeses and this is the book. The big difference is the culture. The book is based on this, which make the cheese gain a consistency and flavor which reminds you of real cheese.
I have made the Cashew cheese with quinoa culture and it tastes just like Ricotta cheese. It is not suppose to be what she intended with the recipe, but it works for me, because i was missing Ricotta. Just try for yourself, it is a great pile of knowledge.
on 7 October 2013
I love this book. Have only made a few of the cheeses but I am a big big fan. Easy to do and the results are great substitutes for cheese.
on 25 August 2013
Had enough time to try only a few and these were truly like the real thing. Simple to make but wonderful on the palate.
on 3 December 2015
I bought the Kindle version for convenience as I have far too many paper recipe books. But I've found that I can't read the fraction quantities (1/3, 2/3 look the same), as they don't enlarge when I set a larger font size. I've had to get a magnifying glass to read them, which has reduced the convenience somewhat.
As to the recipes, most of the ones I've tried have worked well, but I don't agree with the success of freezing, as some of them have defrosted to a weird consistency. The Cashew Yoghurt is wonderful - the first yoghurt I've made that has a good, thick and tasty consistency - I no longer have to travel into town to buy yoghurt, and it's far cheaper anyway.
on 3 October 2015
After being diagnosed as Dairy intolerant I really missed Cheese and the dairy free alternatives available in supermarkets were either prohibitively expensive or terrible in taste! I was in dispair until I read about this book.
Well I can honestly say I am pleasantly surprised at the ease of making the dairy free cheeses in this book! Described in a chatty fashion you feel as if you are sitting in the kitchen with the author - so good are her recipes - the ingredients are all easy to source either from major Supermarkets, Amazon or her comprehensive list in the back of the book of Companies ( including Amazon) who will sell the ingredients at decent prices by mail order.
Vegans and Vegetarians will no doubt already have the ingredients in their larders but for those who haven't the book uses mostly Cashews and other nuts, Nut butters, tapioca flour and unsweetened Dairy free Yogurt and Milk. All of which I sourced quickly on Amazon and which were delivered early today.

I have just experienced making and eating my very first melting cheese and OMG! It is Divine!! and so similar to Cheese made from dairy my husband didn't believe me when I told him what he was eating wasn't his usual cheese! You could have knocked him over with a feather! He was stunned and so am I!

100% Recommended to Every Vegan, Coeliac, Vegetarian and Simply Anyone who does not or cannot eat Cheese made from breast milk for baby animals (and Let's face it Dairy IS BREAST MILK for Baby Cows! Sheep! and Goats!)
on 20 April 2013
After trying vegan cheeses, sauces and creams I felt never again would I taste the flavour of cheese. I have made the sharp cheddar, parmesan cheese, yoghurt cheese and my favourite alfredo sauce. I cannot believe how wonderful, flavoursome and creamy they are. Giving up dairy was, I thought, the hardest thing to do but actually not. I am not missing anything now because this book has it all covered. Bonus was discovering the healthy probiotic drink rejuvelac.
This is a great book!

There are so many vegetarians who say that the one and only thing that they wouldn't want to give up or wouldn't be able to give up is cheese. Yet these cheeses taste brilliant! I've only tried four of them so far, but they really do taste realistic! My other half has been a vegan for over 20 years and when I gave him my first creation from this book he thought I had given him some dairy cheese accidentally! We have bought him all sorts of vegan cheese substitutes over the years... Some are better than others... But none of them taste as good as the recipes from this book.

They do take time to make. You can not just quickly make one I. 5 minutes. But with a bit of forward planning, these cheese are absolutely ideal.

Recommended.
on 13 June 2014
If you like your cheese whether you are Vegan or not, then try the recipes and be amazed!
A must buy for Vegans.
on 24 October 2014
A great introduction to vegan cheeses and a starting point.
Once I got in to the swing of it and the routine I was surprised by the results, both creamy, tangy and flavoursome.
Looking forward to doing a ambitious cheese board with crackers at Christmas to impress my non-vegan guests