5.0 out of 5 stars Essential vegan book!
"Impressed" doesn't even begin to cover how I feel about this book. So far I've made the sharp cheddar and air dried brie, and today I've got started on the fresh mozzarella. If someone had given me these, I'd have been certain they were trying to trick me into eating dairy cheese.

Published on 30 Jan. 2013 by Tonks1982

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
The cheese recipes were all too similar to justify all the different names given to each cheese and make them distinctly different in texture and flavour. Would not recommend, particularly as the recipes don't rely on probiotics, which are critical to successful cheese making in my experience.
Published 13 months ago by LoveLabradors

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential vegan book!, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)

Be warned though; this book isn't for people after instant gratification - you need patience. Even something like the mozzarella, one of the 'quickest' recipes in the book, is going to require at least 15 hours to prepare. But the waiting has sure been worth it so far.

Now ned to find some carrageenan - I want to be able to make melting cheeses next! Imagine the novelty! A vegan cheese that actually melts!

Seriously, I have met many a vegetarian who said they would go vegan if it wasn't for cheese, and as far as store bought cheeses go, I know, the vegan versions don't leave a great deal to be desired. Well this book has you covered, so now there is literally no excuse!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing non dairy cheese.., 20 April 2013
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)
After trying vegan cheeses, sauces and creams I felt never again would I taste the flavour of cheese. I have made the sharp cheddar, parmesan cheese, yoghurt cheese and my favourite alfredo sauce. I cannot believe how wonderful, flavoursome and creamy they are. Giving up dairy was, I thought, the hardest thing to do but actually not. I am not missing anything now because this book has it all covered. Bonus was discovering the healthy probiotic drink rejuvelac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheeeese!, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)
Yes, it is different of course. I was expecting a different recipe for making vegan cheeses and this is the book. The big difference is the culture. The book is based on this, which make the cheese gain a consistency and flavor which reminds you of real cheese.
I have made the Cashew cheese with quinoa culture and it tastes just like Ricotta cheese. It is not suppose to be what she intended with the recipe, but it works for me, because i was missing Ricotta. Just try for yourself, it is a great pile of knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cheese, 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)
I love this book. Have only made a few of the cheeses but I am a big big fan. Easy to do and the results are great substitutes for cheese.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the real ones!, 25 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)
Had enough time to try only a few and these were truly like the real thing. Simple to make but wonderful on the palate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction in to vegan cheeses, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)
A great introduction to vegan cheeses and a starting point.
Once I got in to the swing of it and the routine I was surprised by the results, both creamy, tangy and flavoursome.
Looking forward to doing a ambitious cheese board with crackers at Christmas to impress my non-vegan guests

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Jun. 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a great book!

There are so many vegetarians who say that the one and only thing that they wouldn't want to give up or wouldn't be able to give up is cheese. Yet these cheeses taste brilliant! I've only tried four of them so far, but they really do taste realistic! My other half has been a vegan for over 20 years and when I gave him my first creation from this book he thought I had given him some dairy cheese accidentally! We have bought him all sorts of vegan cheese substitutes over the years... Some are better than others... But none of them taste as good as the recipes from this book.

They do take time to make. You can not just quickly make one I. 5 minutes. But with a bit of forward planning, these cheese are absolutely ideal.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adore this book, 27 Feb. 2014
J. Godfrey (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)
I have made some of these cheeses for my street party and the neighbours loved it. Very nice. Clear and easy to do, and amazing tastes. Recommend and more

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)
very excited about the prospect of a cheese replacement as it is the one thing i truly miss about being vegan. lovely book

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent and successful venture!, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet (Paperback)
This is so exciting. I have bought vegetarian cheeses from the chiller cabinet in one of our local health food stores, and have been disappointed. The distinction between "tangy" and " sharp" has been crucial for the author in developing the cheeses, and pinpoints one of the reasons that commercially-made vegan cheeses fail to impress. Well done, that lady!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet
Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet by Miyoko Mishimoto Schinner (Paperback - 15 Sept. 2012)