5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with all the relevant info!
I am a vegetarian for 12 years and think of going vegan. To make an informed choice, I bought this book and read it cover to cover (only with the exception of child nutrition and pregnancy as it does not apply to me) in 5 days - I just could not put it down!
Published on 30 May 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Packed with info but not all that user-friendly
Published on 29 April 2007 by Stompy

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with all the relevant info!, 30 May 2004
This review is from: Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-based Diet (Paperback)
This book has a great emphasis on nutrition, examines studies nutritional values of food, but also tips on animal right and environmental issues of vegetarianism and veganism.
I actually thought I knew a lot about nutrition but, even as it has been written back in 2000, this book gave me a whole lot of nutritional info which I was not aware of, ie. how to chose the good fats, why a vegan diet is so much healther than even a lacto ovo vegetarian and how to make the steps, how to shop, etc.
If you are concerned about your diet and want to be really informed about good nutrition, this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on vegan nutrition by far, 1 Oct 2001
This book is clearly written and provides guidance for healthy vegan eating at all stages in life. It highlights the benefits of vegan diets but is also upfront about potential pitfalls and how to avoid them. It has a particularly good discussion of fats within a vegan diet and its section on protein gives an authoritative and effective response to the inevitable "so where do you get your protein?". The authors are both experienced dietitians and the recommendations are clear and easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars solid foundation, 30 Sep 2002
Eve (stoke on trent, staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a good introduction to the history, the why's and most importantly for us the nutrition of being vegan.
As I'm currently making the transition to becomming vegan I was desperate to find out where I would be getting my nutrients from! this gives the nutritional breakdown of common foods and provides samples of meal plans for various calorie ranges and how you can ensure to be getting your recommended daily dosages (I didn't think it would be that easy!) as well as chapters for mums, young vegans and athletes etc.
It also covers diplomacy and the tricky situations you may encounter alond the way with your new lifestyle.
Yes it is an american book but don't let that put you off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Packed with info but not all that user-friendly, 29 April 2007
There's no doubt that this book is absolutely packed with information about the nutritional benefits of a vegan diet. If you enjoy looking at studies and want to really delve into all the scientific data behind vegan nutrition, then this is the book for you. However, if like me, you simply want a practical, user-friendly guide that answers the question 'What should I eat on a daily basis to be healthy as a vegan?', then you might find this a frustrating read. The information is all there, but it's buried in facts and figures, and isn't something you could refer back to easily.

By far the best book I've found that lays out vegan nutrition in an accessible, easy-to-understand way is a slim little volume called Nutrition in a Nutshell, available from The Vegetarian and Vegan Foundation for under a pound. I refer to it daily, and have found it an invaluable guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful resource, 10 Mar 2001
I found this book both helpful and entertaining. I agree that it does have an american focus but it is a well laid out book, with several good introductory chapters. i found the later detailed information easier to absorb than from reading Gill Langley's classic "Vegan Nutrition" (another for your bookcase!) A book you will return to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Becoming Vegan, an overview, 20 Aug 2010
This was an interesting book giving scientific nutritional information and outlining the pitfalls of a full vegan diet. It is factually informative, but does not help in the physical transition to becoming a vegan in giving inspiring ideas to actually eating vegan. I think it makes an important contribution to knowledge on nutrition, and will help clarify a lot of woolly thinking on eating fads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of information to make a wise choice, 8 Oct 2007
C. Vremec (Munich, Germany) - See all my reviews
The first book I read that explains the health benefits of veganism without falling into the moralistic view.
Packed with all you need if you are to make an informed choice, supported by real data, and be able to explain to others why you eat what you eat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Vegan recipes, 28 Oct 2009
M. A. Pell (Denbighshire, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this to help my Wife with providing a larger range of vegan meals for me.
She has found the book quite useful and I have had some great meals from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 21 Aug 2013
This is great! It has handy references for establishing a balanced diet. It has good information for vegan athletes, pregnant vegans, and the parents of vegan children. I would definitely recommend this to even long time vegans who would like some more education on their diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start!, 7 May 2013
I'm just starting on my vegan journey, and for me this book has been invaluable. All my worries about not managing to create good and balanced meals are met with fantastic explanations and suggestions. The book makes veganism relatively easy, and allows any reader to skip the unnecessary nutritional 'trial and error' errors. It will not tell you how to cook, there are no recipes, but it does tell you what to eat and why.

Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-based Diet