4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of folk tales circa 400 bce
Published on 27 Jun. 2001 by steve-hm@psion.net

3.0 out of 5 stars completes the set
Published on 13 Feb. 2002 by Mr. I. Dodkins

3.0 out of 5 stars completes the set, 13 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Lieh-Tzu: A Taoist Guide to Practical Living (Shambhala Dragon Editions) (Paperback)
I'm pleased I purchased this book, if only to complete the set of Taoist classics (along with Tao Te Ching and Book of Chuang Tzu). Although the author is herself chinese and she admits it is not a direct translation I couldn't help feeling that it has lost some of the real meaning behind some of the stories. Although I have not seen the original, some of the stories are relatively well known or also feature in the Book of Chuang Tzu. Eva modestly comments that she found the book of Chuang Tzu hard to understand initially, and I think this is why these versions have lost something. Maybe a good book for those who are just getting into Taoist thought, with snappy little stories. But much of the depth, authority and humour found in Chuang Tzu seems to be lost (though I did laugh out loud at the story of Confucious and the 2 children arguing about the sun). Possibly people will love this book because, as Eva says, Lieh Tzu talks as someone on the road to enlightenment, and not someone who had reached it. Also, interesting stories for children.

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of folk tales circa 400 bce, 27 Jun. 2001
Eva Wong is an excellent translator of Taoist texts. Having studied and practised various Taoist arts she has a unique insight into the depth of meaning inherent in this kind of historical text. In this edition she gives us not a strict translation but the voice of Lieh Tzu. She has succeeded in capturing the essence of the spirit in which these tales were written. Each little story has something more to give, some extra meaning each time it is read. A must have book for anyone interested in Taoist philosophy or Chinese historical tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than I thought at first, 29 Nov. 2004
By A Customer
This is actually my second review of this product. After re-reading it several times I now realise how mistaken I was at first; my previous comments do not do it justice. An excellent, concise book which can be read and re-read many many times.

Lieh-Tzu: A Taoist Guide to Practical Living (Shambhala Dragon Editions)