on 25 March 2012
After reading Frampton's 'Studies in tectonic culture' and with the recent development of, so called, emergent architecture I start thinking that Louis I Kahn should be re valued in the history of Modern architecture. His ideas on architecture is still valid and resonant now. even stronger than those famous architects like Mies or Corbusier or Wright. It seems to me that Louis I Kahn's concept of Order is no different from what Michael Hensel or Ciro Najile calls 'material system'. even more there is poetic aspects on top of it. Not only philosophical level but also in the details of built projects I personally often check and learn from Kahn's details when I design buildings. Without exceptions I get so impressed by the details every time I see it again. This book is concise and lucid. When I first read this book about 18 years ago I was only barely impressed. however, I read it now I can see more in the concise and lucid text. definitely must read book.
on 10 October 2011
Ah, Louis Khan, the forgotten master. Not as well known or renowned as Corb, Mies or Wright, but he is a significant Architect of the 20th century.
An excellent book as summary of Khan's work and his theories. Perhaps not as indepth as In the Realm of Architecture, or as well illustrated as Louis I Khan, but still a well rounded piece of work at a good price.
on 23 June 2011
This is a good book as an introduction to Kahn's work and beliefs. The book is indeed too short, as in text, but it stills keeps track and sums up very well the character of this great men among architects. I do recommend it, because is a very good addition to any architect's personal library. It's a good value for your money!
on 12 April 2015
My daughter's using this at uni.
on 6 January 2011
beautiful book, with interesting Kahn's thoughts...
just too short.. more one of those coffee table books... though too long for that:)