5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly delivered clarity, 1 Dec 2008
This review is from: This Light in Oneself: True Meditation (Paperback)
Krishnamurti was never a soft teacher and in this book he is as strong as ever. He is very clear about what true meditation is and how to use it. He gets you to look at the nature of thought to see its illusory quality before considering meditation, since then meditation becomes effortless.
It's not the average book of meditation techniques but rather he cuts through everything which makes natural meditation difficult and leaves you with a great sense of clarity. A book called THE ONE relates a message of the process involved here - both are very clear and strong on this subject!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a step back from the world you have built for yourself, 12 Nov 2009
Mr. S. Broughton "Triggs" (Currently residing in a human brain in London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Light in Oneself: True Meditation (Paperback)
This book was thoroughly enjoyable to read throughout and I honestly felt like turning to the beginning and starting all over again, although I think this would have gone against the message of the book! The ideas in the book expand on directions of thought I have had over the last few years, and they demand a drastic re-assessment (again going against the message of the book!) of one's life and every aspect of how it is lived and viewed.

Krishnamurti advocates the eradication of segmentation within conscious thought, perhaps even leading to the eradication of conscious thought itself, leaving simply 'pure observation' and reaction, without internal confliction. This internal confliction, says Krishnamurti, gives rise to negative emotion and external conflictions, and is the major hindrance on the evolution of the human mind and therefore the human race. However, this psychological confliction cannot be eradicated by any system of thought, since a thought trying to establish this end has segmented itself, and views itself as separate from the whole. This whole segmentation of thoughts takes up space, which clutters the mind. The mind must be still and quiet in order to evolve, through pure observation and unity of the mind.

I have found it very difficult to resolve the ideas into being within my life in London, although I have been able to 'view' and 'eliminate' negative emotions such as anger at times using methods Krishnamurti describes. Although it goes against his advice, I will read the book again to try and gain a better understanding of his words.

I strongly recommend this book to everyone; absolutely everyone. If we all tried to live our lives without the dogmas, prejudices, traditions and other methods of control which this world imposes upon us, we would be a much more understanding and peaceful world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally different meditation, 16 Nov 2010
This review is from: This Light in Oneself: True Meditation (Paperback)
'This light in oneself' almost describes the way that Krishnamurti encourages us to be our own guide when exploring our inner and outer self. Again, this book explores meditation as a way of integrated living rather than something we do as a ritual or practice. Krishnamurti challenges the whole concept of meditation as a means to an end, but rather ask us to approach life in meditation with total attention to all things as they really are and not as we would wish them to be. For those who practice meditation and for those who don't this book explores meditation but not in any conventional sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: This Light in Oneself: True Meditation (Paperback)
I am only half way through this book and I'm finding it to be wonderful. I thought I had read most of what Krishnamurti had written, so I was very pleased to find that I hadn't.
I thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly beautiful, 15 May 2013
If you are looking for authentic freedom from yourself this book is a must to read. Simple truths, inner silence open the beauty of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars the summation of his most important insights, 25 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: This Light in Oneself: True Meditation (Paperback)
I have read much from Krishnamurti. I have learned much from this enlightened soul. This book provides all one needs to see the mirage we have created through thought and the path beyond. If you understand what he says, you are on the way to awakening from your sleep. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: This Light in Oneself: True Meditation (Paperback)
Not a book for those who want to play with meditation. This approach to meditation is very challenging, demanding a complete review of who we are and what we can be. It's more of an approach to life.

The style and vocabulary are a little awkward but the message is firm and clear. As usual with these collections of speeches, there's a great deal of repitition but in some cases this is good as it helps to clarify his definitions and advice.

I found it valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars The maestro is at it again, 2 Jun 2009
This review is from: This Light in Oneself: True Meditation (Paperback)
Not since the historical buddha 2,500 years ago has there been a teacher with such great insight into the human conditionThe buddhas last words to his beloved monks was 'be a light onto yourselves'. Krishnamurti uses the same theme and shows us that once we realise our true nature we need nothing more. It is summed up in his famour quote 'light is light, it needs nothing else'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Misleading information, 3 May 2009
R. MCCOY "Ray McCoy" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Light in Oneself: True Meditation (Paperback)
This excellent collection of insights into true meditation by J Krishnamurti was NOT co-written by or edited by Joel Segel.

5.0 out of 5 stars He is the only one..., 20 May 2014
This is the nearest he gets to a "how to do it" manual, having said which it takes someone who's been on a long and very difficult road to truly *get* Krishnamurti and to live accordingly. Not for people who like easy answers, nor - especially NOT - for anyone seeking a Guru!

It's all down to oneself...

This Light in Oneself: True Meditation
This Light in Oneself: True Meditation by J. Krishnamurti (Paperback - 1 Jun 1999)
10.47