5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult but true...
I read this book because I was interested in improving my personal patience. At first I found it difficult to get into the book; it felt like I was walking through treacle. I decided to slow down and really give the chapters some thought and it started to make sense. It doesn't hit you with a "wham" rather you suddenly find yourself doing something or in my case not doing...
Published on 8 May 2003 by D. Raybould

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting
Buying it to read whilst going through something as difficult as illness and death of a loved one was always going to be a challenge.
It is quite 'hard reading' but I'm persevering and can only read a few pages at a time. Half-way through the book...
Published 13 months ago by S. Lee

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Bedside reading, 6 Mar 2012
Heard about this book as somebody's choice on Desert Island Discs. It's full of sense and suggestions for when things seem hopeless, pointing out that 'hopeless' is an essential ingredient of life - in fact it's the point of life. I read it twice and now keep it by my bed for inspiration and to remind me that ostensible 'bad' times are really great opportunities to face one's demons and overcome them. It's really about being happy regardless of circumstance. It's helpful and practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing! I have now bought 8 copies for other people, 7 May 2011
This review is from: When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times (Shambhala Classics) (Paperback)
Though I am Thai Buddhist, the heart and simplicity, yet profound message of "becoming our own best friends" as tought by Pema Chodron in this beautiful book, has been life changing for seven people that I gave this book too, to help them in times of suffering. Though I have practiced many years with many respected teachers, I was encouraged, challenged and thrilled when I first read this book in 2005, the message was not new to me, but was put in such a real way that I grew tremendously in my understanding. My heart felt thanks to the authoress and all who have shone a light on the path to happiness in the production of this great book.
I would recommend this book to EVERYONE ! Regardless of belief! Whether we're having trouble accepting others or ourselves, or whether were trapped in addiction, illness or misery, this book is A MUST. Equally as so to anyone who feels life is great! In fact, EVERYONE!
My own struggles and habitual patterns have changed more, each time I have read this book, than through the many years of "looking inward". Each time I read, I become more aware of who and what I am. I accept and befriend myself more and therefor grow in self repect, discipline, wisdom and gentleness; the result of which, I've seen my habits fall away, seen myself become more secure, honest, authentic and direct. My way of understanding and dealing with others has also changed a great deal thanks to this book.
I hope one day to have the pleasure of meeting Pema Chodron. It would be a great honor to bow before her as a light in our Sangha. If I were wealthy, I would buy enough copies of this book to provide them freely to ALL hospitals, help centers a libraries.
May all beings find and end to suffering and happiness
May our sister, Pema Chodron have a long and fulfilling life and may she find happiness and enlightenment.

5.0 out of 5 stars a Must HAVE, 11 Aug 2010
Wonderful is the only was to describe this book. Pema will tickle your heart and ingnite that courage that lies dormant x

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex but definitely worthwhile!, 13 Jun 2010
S. Swanton (UK) - See all my reviews
I think that this is an amazing CD - an edited version of a book that I just could not read, but found I could listen to. For me the book was just so heavy and I gave up - afterall if your life has just fallen apart reading a complex book is perhaps not the easiest thing in the world to do. This audio version read by the author (who is a good and experienced reader)is still complex (I had to re listen again and again), but like most worthwhile things that do not come easily it is worth the perseverance - Pema Chodron is an incredibly sage woman. Personally, I would not recommend listening to this audiobook if feeling depressed - even though the message is one of great hope I think that you would need to be 'on the mend' and actively looking for answers before being able to cope with the depth of information - but that is just my opinion and I give this book 5 stars because I think that it is, ultimately life altering - and there are not too many books I can say that about.

5.0 out of 5 stars a step by step manual, 8 Nov 2009
Anders E. Krag (2920, Denmark) - See all my reviews
When Things Fall Apart is possibly the most transforming book I have yet read. Take your time, although a skinny book it's better read more than once, how about five, six, seven, maybe ten times. Read slowly, be there, don't wander, don't answer the phone, because in this book Pema Chödrön delivers a step by step manual in being absolutely mindful in the moment. Praise for Pema!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A companion through difficult times, 10 Jun 2009
gareth "gfreewill" (Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I come back to this book time and again, both in written and audio formats. It always provides me with something fresh, relevant and inspiring, no matter how many times I read it.

Without trying to take away the pain and/or fear all of us inevitably encounter in our lives, Pema offers us a way to meet our difficulties and be enriched by them. She invites and encourages us to experience our lives more fully and thereby grow in compassion, wisdom and awareness.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for difficult times!, 22 July 1998
By A Customer
A fabulous, must read book! Not just for hard times but a philosophy to live by! Go buy it today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pema Chodron is truly enlightened., 29 Jan 1999
By A Customer
Having read many books on Zen and Buddhism, I can say without fear of contradiction, that Pema Chodron possesses one of the most enlightened minds I have ever encountered. Her perspectives on dealing with life's realities simply hit the mark each time. They are irrefutable in their simple truths. This book is invaluable for anyone seeking enlightenment, and particularly when some of life's difficulties have become obstacles on your journey. Read this book--it will bring you peace and help you to achieve harmony with the natural order of living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 May 2007
C. A. Rodger (UK) - See all my reviews
Amazing book in that everything the author wrote really connected with what I was feeling. You don't have to know anything about Buddhism to read this book - it is a great book for anyone who is struggling with life and looking for happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life., 4 July 1999
By A Customer
This is a wonderful book. I highly recommend it for people wanting to become more compassionate to themselves and others. Ms. Chodron is a gifted writer and helps the reader to understand the common obstacles that we all stumble upon each day.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times (Shambhala Classics)
Used & New from: 0.01