Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 May 2013
I really enjoy dipping into this book. You need to be prepared that it isn't about a showplace country house but has a lot of really interesting and basic ways to live a more simple life. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who has a real interest in reducing the toll on the earth and is prepared to let go of some of life's luxuries.
on 3 December 2013
I had the original book that was given to me by my mother... It had travelled a long way and been my companion for many years, through thick and thin. sadly it was on its last legs, though loved. This was my replacement. more upto date and still a classic to keep you grounded and fascinated as well as informed about everything to do with country living. Carla Emery's great legacy to us all.
on 26 March 2016
Work of love & experience hence superb read.
Good for house, farm buying and contains all the basic knowledge we are loosing due to supermarkets and fridges.
on 4 January 2015
Excellent
All you need to know. Now just to put it into practice.
on 25 October 2014
Love it, everything you need to know and then some.
on 12 May 2016
Great read for people going off the grid.
on 8 January 2016
lovely to read, although for any depth in most of these subjects the reader is directed to another book they can buy.

It's still a really useful and beautiful personal account of country life in the USA. As a country girl from Scotland, its very interesting to read about how other people live: so different and yet so familiar.
on 30 November 2014
So full of how to do all those things that constitute daily life on a farm. Definitely one of the best resource books for anyone wanting to escape to the country and have a smallholding. I really do recommend this book.