4.0 out of 5 stars Great free from baking
Published on 4 April 2010 by C. Neill

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts
I've been avoiding wheat and dairy for a couple of years now, so this book seemed ideal, and I was really excited when it arrived. I've made the Maple Berry Muffins (pretty good, bit of an odd after-taste), the thumbprint cookies (really good) and the macaroons (excellent, lots of requests for the recipe).

My reservations about this book are probably a result...
Published on 27 July 2011 by motherofpearl

4.0 out of 5 stars Great free from baking, 4 April 2010
C. Neill - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)
I have tried baking without conventional ingredients previously, but this book really delivers on removing all possible irritants. If you're looking for a recipe book that genuinely doesn't use gluten and avoids dairy, eggs and even sugar in many of the recipes then this is brilliant. The only downsides of the cake recipes are that they are in cups rather than weight and also they are designed to make a 9 inch 3 layer cake, which is absolutely huge, and often too big for a domestic oven. They do suggest using cupcakes instead but even their cupcake size is larger than a UK one (this is an American book). If you want to try these then I recommend doing a test of a quarter of the mixture, which will make about 15-18 cupcakes. Also, beware of the sugar free icing as it is still incredibly sweet - try reducing the agave in it. Overall fantastic and so nice to find something that gives a real alternative to conventional baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Results, 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)
I have used a few gluten free/vegan cook books over the years to varying levels of success, but the Flying Apron book is an absolute delight. The book is beautifully written and put together and the recipes are accessible with detailed and helpful instruction. The book is completely appropriate for absolute beginners as well as seasoned bakers hoping to add to their repertoires. I have followed quite a few of the recipes from the book now including cookies and cupcakes, all of the results have been fabulous and eaten enthusiastically by vegan and non-vegans alike.

One thing I will stress is not to be put off by unusual ingredients. The elusive garbanzo flour is actually exactly the same as Gram flour which is available in most supermarkets and Asian stores and Canola oil can be replaced with virgin olive oil without needing to change the quantities in the recipe.

A superb cook book to be in any collection and an utter joy to those trying to be more health conscious with the foods they choose to eat and give to their loved ones.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)

My reservations about this book are probably a result of the author trying to avoid such a huge number of ingredients. She's very keen on palm oil which, given its environmental impact, I'm not, but I tracked some down and tried to make her icing with it. It was very orange, and it had a nasty taste. I decided not to ruin perfectly good cake with it, and thanked my lucky stars that I'd halved the recipe. I haven't tried the bread recipes, having read someone's blog (and numerous comments from the blog's readers) about other people's attempts to use them, I don't think I'll bother. Things like sorghum flour and teff flour seem to be pretty much unobtainable in the UK - even my local wholefood wholesaler doesn't seem to have heard of them. The author doesn't have a web presence, so there is no way of getting feedback from her on how to swap ingredients, tweak the recipes etc. - that would be a huge bonus.

I'm lucky - I can eat wheat and dairy, but I try not to as they seem to be a factor in my arthritis attacks. If I had been deprived of cake for a decade, I would probably think this cookbook was the best thing ever. I will use many of the recipes in this book, but I will approach it with caution.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a bakery, 25 Nov 2009
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)
This book is wonderful. The Flying Apron is obviously more than just a bakery and this really comes across on every page. These desserts are some of my favourites and I am not gluten intolerant nor a vegan. Their German maple cake is without rival! I can't wait to bake some of the 'berry oat wondies' at home! I also bought a copy for a friend who is celiac and she almost wept with joy at the prospect of trying out these recipes. Thank you for sharing, Flying Apron!

4.0 out of 5 stars New ideas for ingredients, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)
I am a big fan of discovering new ingredients and I like the fact that this book introduces a range of alternatives to the gf standard white rice flour/potato starch mixes. It suggest using less soya products and comes up with different substitutions. Unfortunately, some of the ingredients are the kind you need to order online from the other side of the planet or trail around your nearest city through all healthfood stores to find.
Lovely photographs are a real encouragement to try the recipes, though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but not entirely vegan, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)
I like this book but it is frustrating that she uses honey in about 5 recipes as honey isn't vegan. She does mention that 'some' vegans won't eat honey but in that case, why include it as an ingrediant at all? It's a relatively small gripe against an otherwise interesting book, but enough to lower my rating. If it's real vegan baking books you're after then anything by Isa Moskowitz is a winner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, 2 Mar 2011
Ms. L. M. Guile (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)
I was incredibly excited to find this book as we have many food allergies in the family. However, the first 2 recipes I have tried have not worked at all. I am used to American books and have measuring cups but the results were still far from the pics! I still love the idea behind the book though and it is great inspiration but I am working on tweaking the recipes to make them turn out better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)
Just fantastic recipes gluten and many times sugar free. A must have for everyone who has dietary restrictions with gluten like myself. I've tried almost everything in the book and everything was mouthwatering. Very good job!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully presented, 7 July 2014
Lovely book, beautifully presented

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect cookbook, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book (Paperback)
I think this cookbook is superb. I have made several recepies already and they all work out perfectly. Most gluten-free and vegan cookbooks I have just use glutenfree flour and/or eggreplacer in their recepies. This book is different, showing how to really bake glutenfree and vegan. I also have replaced some ingredients with others, and that works well too. A perfect buy!

Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book
Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book by Jennifer Katzinger (Paperback - 7 Oct 2012)