5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 23 May 2007
K. Houghton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breeding Between the Lines : Why Interracial People are Healthier and More Attractive (Paperback)
This was a fascinating read. I didn't know a lot about biology or genetics, but Ziv made the science very clear - and entertaining! All kinds of fun info about physical symmetry, dating, and sex in the animal kingdom. And I have to say that after reading Breeding Between The Lines, the theory really makes sense to me. It's a very quick read - definitely worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 18 Sep 2010
I noticed this book after watching something on TV, being half Jamaican, quarter Irish and quarter British I thought it might be an interesting read so decided to order it for reading on holiday.

Although the cover of the book made me feel a bit daft and self conscious with the title stating 'Interracial People are Healthier and More Attractive', I managed to hide the cover from view.

This book is fantastic read, it goes into detail about how you get the best of each gene from your parents, the more racially diverse your parents are, the more different the genes will be. This was of particulr interest to me as I am a carrier of the sickle cell trait which the book very briefly talks about.

It also talks about animals (Labradoodles and Ligers), food (Wheat and Cucumbers) and how we have and are evolving.

Whether or not the book is believable to all, I strongly recommend this it you have a mixed background regardless of colour/creed, are in a interracial (I hate that word) relationship, or simply want something interesting and different to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, thoughtful, prepare to be surprised, 2 Nov 2009
Bobby Smith (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a really original book, with its idea that mixed-race children have the advantage over 'in-bred' couples. It was totally refreshing to read a positive book, re mixed-race people - as too often they attract negative publicity. The book is well written and able to be enjoyed by people with little specialist knowledge. If you like this I also recommend another positive book about the mixed-race experience: One Love Two Colours: The Unlikely Marriage of a Punk Rocker and His African Queen by Margaret Oshindele (my wife) - a book that shows how a couple from completely different backgrounds can make a success of a marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars completely worth a look., 20 Jun 2010
I absolutley agree with the other two reviewers about the easy, fun digestible way this book is written. It is written in a positive and balanced way. I would recommend it to anyone ...doesnt have to be for "mixed-race" anyone....... just people interested in people and development etc.

I will take a look at the other recommendation by the other reviewer too..... but this book really did make me think in a very different way about the topic of mixed race genetics and where so often it is reported negatively- aspects of social integration and expectations etc- this gives a refreshing angle on it and i suppose i liked what i was reading too as i hadnt come across some of the ideas before . It explained perceptions and misconceptions and i did like seeing in writing the idea that we must take "self responsibility about the environment we create for our children and each other".