5.0 out of 5 stars A book to make your laughter howl., 23 Dec 2011
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 2,320 Funniest Quotes (Paperback)
There are many books of general quotations. There are relatively few books specifically of funny quotes.

The author of this book operates a website called allgreatquotes.com, which is a great resource. Previously, I used to do my quote searches on Thinkexist, and now I use both. The challenge, in finding funny quotes is that usually they are organised by author, a topic search, or a word search, or a specific pattern, but not necessarily a category search like humor. So, when I bought this book it opened up a whole new world, and you may for yourself discover a whole new world of funny quotes on a wide variety of topics.

As you can expect with someone who runs a quote website, and presumably loves, and is an expert on quotatios, much thought has been put into quality testing the quotes, and producing what I consider to be a high quality collection of quotes. What I particuarly like is that he has gone beyond the usual suspects,who are included, and included some unusual ones, catering to a variety of tastes not only an American palate, or an English palate, or even an Irish palate, but an eclectic variety that will appeal to every palate.

You may not for example have of Joanna Brand, an English comedian, or Hal Roach, an Irish comedian, or you may not have thought Jackie Kennedy was funny, or Alfred Hitchcock, or Sigmund Freud, but guess what?

I took this book on an overseas trip, and inevitably people would pick it up, leaf through it, laugh out loud, and insist on reading the particular quote, in fact several. I made so many notes on my original copy as I like to analyse quotes so I bought a second one.

Here a few examples from the book:

Watching your daughter being collected by a date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla. Jim Bishop.

The English may not like music, but they love the noise it makes. Thomas Beecham.

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher. Socrates.

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country, and our people. And neither do we. George W. Bush

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us like equals. Winston Churcill, attributed.

..woo her, wed her, and bed her, and rid the house of her. William Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew.

He's been called, cold, rude, self centered, arrogant, and egostistical. But that's just his family's opinion. Bob Monkhouse.

The quotes are arranged by order of topics, such as: Americans, English, Canadians, Sex, Love, Marriage, insults, battle of the sexes. One of my favorites was dumbest things ever said. The quoted include: Oscar Wilde, Dave Barry, Phyllis Diller, Mae West, George Bernard Shaw, James Joyce, Mark Twain, David Letterman, Rita Rudner, Jay Leno, and many many more.

If you're like most people, and I like to think I am, I think you will enjoy this book. I hope this was helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2320 Funniest Quotes, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: 2,320 Funniest Quotes (Paperback)
I bought this book from Amazon recently and find it great fun to have around. You know when you sit down, a bit tired, and don't want to get into your latest novel, or read the latest bad news in the paper? Well, this book is a tonic. You can browse topics and giggle away to yourself at some of the wittiest and quirkiest comments by the rich, the crazy, the famous and the not so famous. Just be careful not to overpower your friends with your armoury of razor sharp wit.

2,320 Funniest Quotes
2,320 Funniest Quotes by Tom Corr (Paperback - 25 Aug 2011)