Ultimate Kettlebells Workbook
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£9.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 22 October 2011
I bought this book on the reviews that I had read, as I wanted info on working with KBs. With a weightlifting background, I wanted to do more with 'bells to see the results and sample a different training method.
This book is comprehensive in exercise description and photos such that you can get started and feel that you are doing the exercises right. Follow the rules about progression and you will make good progress - without injury. Some exercises are tricky to master, using balance and co-ordination. I have improved lots here. Windmills, get ups etc. for shoulder stability.

You would need 3 to 4 'bells to get the best from all programmes as some exercises need heavier 'bells on the strength training section. I use 8,12, 16 kg (could use a 20 on some)as I am light in weight.

You get a clear idea of how to put a typical routine together - which is what I do - or you can go with those in the book. Variey is good and you do feel a sense of achievement on finishing a session - because they are challenging!!

Overall, I think this is great value for money and if not for you, then you haven't spent a fortune.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Before i reivew the book a bit of background might be of interest.
I came to Kettlebell training after spending the past 20 years or so dabbling at weight training (dumbells and barbells) and body building. Most of us have lifted weights at some time or another, some more serious than others. My job requires that i need to be stronger than the average joe so, some kind of resistrance training is important to me. I was training around average 3 times a week, usual basicas of squats, bench pressing, rowing etc.. and would consider myself a reasonably serious weight trainer and above the average joe in terms of strength, muscle etc. I considered Kettlebells to be nothing more than a "passing fad".
A work colleague mentioned Kettle bells to me several times in the past few years (he was an convert to Kettlebells after lifting conventioanl weigths for many years), he was tall, lean but very strong,( soon realised much stonger than me). I was bored with the usual weight training routine, and tired of the constant niggling injuries that kept cropping up, so i thought id order a 16kg kettlebell and give it a go. All i can say is that i wont be going back to conventional weight training ever again, My bench, dumbells and barbells have long since been packed away soon to be sold off! Since using Kettlebells Ive lost pounds of fat, gained more muscle tone than i have ever had before and have a spring in my step that i havent had since i was a teenager, my body moves as a whole unit more effectively now, thanks to Kettlebells. Kettlebells work, they build functional muscle that carries over into your life.
But to beleive it, you have to do it. This book is a good introduction into safe, effective Kettlbell training, i personally think its better than Pavels, though Pavels DVDs are worth a look. This book is a great starter to the world of Kettlebell training. (And for all those of you out there whom think Kettlebells are no good for building size and power, check out Steve Cotter on youtube. He has a better physique than most "body builders" and his stregth is real, not "all show and no go" that most body builders have)
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 September 2012
I've been weight-lifting, swimming, barefoot running, and boxing for years and I've always made the effort to pick up kettlebells when they've been available in gyms I've used - but I've never really known how to use them!

This book shows you the amazing versatility and simplicity of these ingenious bits of iron. I've found kettlebell training to complement almost every sport I've tried my hand at - developing core strength, minimising injury, and dramatically increasing speed, strength, and power.

From an investment POV, kettlebells cost between £40 and £80 for a pair (depending on their weight) - that's between one and two month's gym membership! Get a pair for your garden, garage, or front room, and get lifting. If you need convincing, pick up this book for the safe and most effective ways to train.
on 16 August 2013
Does exactly what you want many different exercises and good descriptions of how you should be doing the exercise and which muscles should be used. Also sets out several different programmes to follow from beginner to advanced. All in all a great book.
on 29 January 2012
Couple of months back the gym i go to introduced a set of kettlebells. There is plenty of information on the web, also youtube has loads of short clips but I bought the book (the kindle edition) to learn the basics and to have reference in a single place.
I'm a regular gym goer and prefer whole body-weight/free-weight up to 30 min short high intensity exercises rather than dull machines and concentrating on particular muscles groups.
Good points: Well written with just enough detail, the pictures are very good and certainly helped me diversify my routines.

Couple of points in my opinion could have made the book much better.
* Breathing techniques is something important that the author should have covered even in couple of pages.
* The workouts section contains the information about the sequence and timing of how to perform the exercises in a routine. It is in table format but the kindle edition in that area is absolutely unreadable even with magnifying glass! (how did this pass quality control I've no idea) It is slightly better when viewed on my PC in full screen mode. The way i got around it was to transfer the content of the tables in a spreadsheet on my PC which was time consuming.

Then I also downloaded a free "A HIIT interval timer" from the android market on my phone and entered some of routines there.
Overall a good book, acceptable price.
Hope this helps.
on 28 March 2013
I think this book will really help me get to grips with kettlebell training, when I can manage to drag my backside off the sofa.

Seriously, I have my bells now, and the beginners programme in this book will really help me get into the training.
on 2 July 2013
I have been doing kettlebells with a professional trainer for 6 months and he uses this book. Really good for designing own routines at home and reminding yourself of form and style required to carry out exercises effectively and safely.
on 2 March 2014
It does have a lot of exercises and does include ones for double weights, for those who have 2 of the same, so it is a decent selection. All the basics are there. But having been doing a lot of searching around for kettlebell exercises it doesn't include all you could include.

The first 20 pages go into background, guidance etc, which is all good. The next 10 go into selections of routines, which are well labelled with page numbers etc. The rest of the book goes through the exercises and they are logically split, reasonably explained - you can't beat a demo on a dvd but this is still decent enough. In general it is a good enough book to be getting on with.
on 29 July 2012
I had been using kettlebells for around 6 weeks when I bought this book. I had used youtube, websites and fitness shows on TV to learn the exercises.

I have been pleased with the results and have enjoyed training for 30 mins or so, every-other-day. I cant afford to get a personal trainer so have made do on a very low budget. I wanted an affordable book to bring my training to the next level.

The book is in two sections - the program and the exercises. I found the program section confusing and difficult to follow. it has lots of jargon and tables that I dont understand. I read through it once, picked up some ideas but have not used the section since. They are for someone more serious than me.

On the other hand the exercise section was easy to follow, illustrations are clear and well explained. For each movement the author states how your body will benefit.

I have used the exercises to plan my own work outs. I chose 6 and write them down, then do 2 at a time in supersets. Works for me! Now I am another 6 weeks on and still enjoying it and feeling very fit.

So in all it is worth the money, but i'd recomend using the book taking from the book what you need and leaving the rest for someone else.

enjoy
on 3 January 2012
For the money this is a good book to learn the technique and some routines. You don't need a lot else to be honest. It's pretty well laid out and covers what you need to know. My only faults really are that some of the routines require two kettlebells of the same weight (like Renegade Rows for instance). This makes KBing expensive and most people don't buy them in pairs. But if you're looking for a book without the ludicrous faux-soviet schtick of Pavel then this is a good choice and great value.