Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 April 2013
It is based on American slang usage, of which some expressions are meaningless or dubious to speakers of British English. I speak Czech anyway and only ordered this by way of interest. I know what most of the expressions mean in the original - although it has opened up a new area of knowledge as far as drug-related expressions are concerned - so translate them myself into a form of English which is intelligible to me. The range of topics is quite extensive so that is good. It's fun and mildly shocking in places, but some aspects are irritating to this speaker of English English who has little exposure to trans-atlantic films and television programmes.
on 21 January 2013
A pity this useful book has to rely on the "Dirty" element in its title, as it contains a lot of useful and perfectly ordinary Czech colloquialisms, but I suppose it is a bit like sticking a swastika on other books to draw the eye and increase sales. That is almost my only criticism, though I am not sure that we need to have so many alternatives for some vulgarisms. I am grateful to have it, nonetheless, and have learned a few new things.
on 16 June 2013
Always important to make sure you are using slang or being rude in a way that is understood and in context :-)

This book appears to be just the ticket and my Czech wife thought it hilarious and only found a few phrases she didn't agree with!

If you're learning Czech, this is a fun way to add some phrases to your vocabulary.
on 28 December 2012
Do you have someone who is required to learn some Czech and it is not language-study fan? It will certainly make him to go through it from time to time, if even only when he is pissed off with you and want to dress you down. I am czech but can easily imagine for guys/girls going for stag/hen party to Czech to find it very very handy.
on 9 April 2014
This book teaches us language that one is warned never to use with government officials. Unofficial jailing of one or two weeks
can follow