5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Darcy!
Published on 16 Sep 2002 by Harvey Abbott

1.0 out of 5 stars Excessively Bad!
Published on 4 Nov 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Darcy!, 16 Sep 2002
Juliette Shapiro's Fitzwilliam Darcy is peculiar creature. He frightens nurses, has 'male only' conversations and yet manages to remain quite recogniseable as Jane Austen's favourite leading man. I fell in love with Elizabeth Darcy (nee Bennet) all over again when I read Excessively Diverted. She remained playful and not entirely against the idea of a jolly good romp through the woods. The Bar Sinister this isn't but there are enough sensitive references to the unbridled love that the Darcys experience to make the reader feel that Lizzy and Darcy have finally 'unbuttoned'. I hated Lady Catherine in this book but had to hand it to the writer for inspiring such a passionate dislike in me. It was a quick compelling read with an ending that left a bit of a lump my throat. Juliette Shapiro is as delighful a sequelist as ever appeared in print!
I actually purchased Excessively Diverted as an e-book but will definately order it in hard copy to keep on my bookshelf ready for a re-read.

4.0 out of 5 stars a really good read!, 29 Dec 2005
I really enjoyed this book. The darcys are very much in love, and you do get glimpses of their private doings, but none are explicit or untasteful. They are very sweet with each other! Elizabeth retains her playful nature and her spark and zest for life, and continues to tease darcy but it is obvious she loves him a great deal. she also retains her passion for walking! Darcy is hilarious, and the author has developed his character into something surprisingly relaxed. he is a triumph and retains his temper!!!The affairs of wickham and lydia are the only bits i disliked-i thought the descision of the darcys was a bit far fetched. I did also think that it ended slightly abruptly. I thought you saw too little of jane and bingley and slightly too much of her other sisters, but this is all minor. Mr and mrs bennet are perfect-mr bennet is just as barbed and mrs bennet just as silly and affected. She is ridiculously hilarious! Mr collins makes a return and is just as patronizing as ever. caroline bingley is also featured with great sucess. This book will not appeal to those who are not a bit of a romantic, but i am so i seriously enjoyed this and would reccomend it to anyone who want to hear more of pemberely. A worthy purchase!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Excessively Bad!, 4 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This book takes first prize as the worst book that I have EVER read. I've been driven to write this review just to warn you to not waste your money. I only read it until the end to see if it would it would improve... it didn't! It is predictable, poorly written and badly edited. You won't believe the drivel that comes from Elizabeth's and Darcy's mouths, nothing like their original characters in Pride and Prejudice. My advice is to skip this and read The Bar Sinister, it may be a bit too explicit, but at least the characters and the plot are believable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 19 Sep 2003
I bought Excessively Diverted thinking that it would be a good sequel to Pride and Prejudice.
I was very disappointed. The plot is implausible, the characters' behaviour illogical, the ending abrupt. Too many subplots that could have been exploited are only hinted at, then abandoned, and eventually given a hasty conclusion just before the whole story ends.
The whole story is clumsy and badly structured.
Better buy something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it... couldn't put it down!, 17 July 2007
I am a huge fan of P&P and was aprehensive of buying a sequal as it would obviously not be by Jane Austen and feared it would be of a lower standard and would not do either P&P/Jane Austen credit. However, I did read this book and I really really enjoyed it! The author managed to keep the characters true to form unlike some other authors whom on some occassions i actually wonder if they ever actually saw or read the original P&P. I just can't stop buying and reading about the Darcy's!

3.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!! Already published...., 24 Oct 2008
This review is from: Mr. Darcy's Decision (Paperback)
Beware, this book has already been published in the UK as "Excessively Diverted". This is not mentioned on Amazon anywhere! Although this book is no longer available it is the same book but with a different title.

4.0 out of 5 stars Authenticity, 1 Oct 2002
M Abbott (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was initially very impressed with the flavour of the work.The author has obviously a feel for Austen and the language, so evocative of the period. P & P is a book I have recently re-read and to come across a sequel of this calibre was a real joy. It is pacey and I found myself sad at its ending, but what a lovely ending it is. I have read a few sequels and I have to say this one does it for me. The Wickham scenario being particularly interestingly handled.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 17 Aug 2003
By A Customer
I was disappointed by this sequel to P&P. The plot is plausible enough, and Juliette Shapiro has tried hard to retain characterisation and language. But the latter is very contrived, and it frequently feels as though it has only a veneer of the 19th century. However, this would not have condemned the book in my eyes - what killed it for me was the total (apparent) lack of copy-editorial and/or proof-reading input. The typographical errors are legion, and include incorrect spellings, poor syntax and incorrectly placed punctuation marks. The author deserves better from her publisher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 20 July 2005
After reading the reviews i was in 2 minds as to whether to actually buy this book. In the end i bought it and i wasn't disapointed!! This story takes a different path to the other sequls and upon reading it you will not regret it. If you want to hear a different take on wickham , lydia, Darcy and Lizzy story, this is the one for you!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but with a few flaws..., 5 Aug 2009
Austen fan (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr. Darcy's Decision (Paperback)
I'm not entirely sure if I like or loathe this book. Elizabeth and Darcy seem to behave as they should, but occasionally defect so far from their original characters that I began to wonder if there were two other characters called Elizabeth and Darcy that act completely the wrong way, just thrown into certain scenes. Unfortunately, this generally happens in the key moments of the book. To explain this, I'll need to use spoilers, so be warned! First up - Mr Darcy deciding to raise Wickham's child as his own???????? WHY?????????? Also, is there an alter-ego Wickham too? Because the Wickham in P&P would not burst into tears and swear to be a better man when he finds out he is a father. This is possibly my biggest problem with the book. Wickham is one of the biggest cads in the history of literature, certainly in my opinion. Can you imagine, say, Henry Crawford, acting that way? What about Willoughby? He didn't give a toss about Eliza Williams' child. So, I repeat, WHY???????? Apart from those, and a few minor (and one major) grammatical and punctuational errors, a diverting read. Also, I laughed for ten minutes solid at the (not very subtle) Jane Eyre reference. So, all in all, worthy of 3 stars, I reckon.

Mr. Darcy's Decision
Mr. Darcy's Decision by Juliette Shapiro (Paperback - 2 Oct 2008)