Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 October 2013
This is one of my favourite books. As someone who does not naturally have a good memory, I have found many of the techniques explained in the book, really helpful. The book is very clearly written and one you can read cover to cover or just dip into or return to, if you want to learn or improve techniques to learn particular types of things, for example, numbers, names, lists of items. I would thorougly recommend.
on 15 October 2015
This is a well researched and comprehensive look at both the theories of memory improvement together with practical techniques. Different from other books in that it presents limitations to the techniques as well as academic theories surrounding them.

Slightly dated now and therefore omits the Dominic system which I believe is the most effective number memorisation technique.
on 11 December 2004
In the introduction to the book, one of the first things the reader realises is that the approach of the author is to present the fundamentals of memory from a scientific perspective and backing up assertions with evidence from studies. I was impressed with the frequent references to a huge number of psychological journals and also books published in the field of memory. This seems like the perfect introductory book in understanding one's memory and how to use it. The scientific objectivity of the book makes it all the more appropriate as a first book in the field, (if you would like to read several different opinions on the matter as I would), as it leads to not only knowing from evidence of the experiences of the author what is possible with memory, but also gives a sound framework of understanding how the brain is best worked with, giving data from studies to make this convincing.
On the practical side, reading this book has given me a lot of ideas on how to improve my memory, and the improvements have been taking effect since I was still reading the book. This is due partly to the results given throughout the book, taken from scientific studies, such as that studying seperate subjects in seperate places can reduce interference between recall of memorized information from those subjects, or that if two subjects that are very similar are being studied, (such as Italian and Spanish), then interference is much more likely so studying the two in different places or at clearly distinct times is important to reduce potential interference. So many interesting facts observed from studies are here; I'll give another example: it has been observed that after studying for a test, sleeping in the intervening time before the test results in better recall of the learnt material than if you were to stay awake, or continue to learn the material and not sleep before the test. This made me recall an experience when I had to memorize a lot of facts and figures for an A-level geography exam the next morning and that I decided to try memorizing the facts overnight, but ended up falling asleep just as I had memorized them all, and when I did the exam in the morning it went very well, (I got 86 out of 90), so I knew from personal experience that this observation was correct.
Techical terms such as retention, recall, overlearning, interference, et al are here and I like the systematic way that the author uses these technical terms to clarify explanations of, for example, the use of specific mneumonics later in the book, (without the technical terms there would surely be more chance of ambiguity). The first sections of the book explain what is known so far from studies about memory and how to improve your memory in general. Later in the book, a number of mneumonic systems are expounded; namely the link, story, loci, peg, and phonetic mneumonics. The most advanced of these by far seems to be the phonetic system.
All in all this is an excellent, well written, fascinating, and beneficial book. I wholly recommend it to anyone interested in improving their memory, or anyone with a general interest in memory.
on 14 August 2012
If you want to enhance your memory then this is the book that you are looking for.Simple and fully explanatory,it helps the reader to understand the mechanism of the memory and it gives way to improve it.
on 5 October 2013
This author has indeed done his research and if you spend the time to implement the strategies you'll definitely see an improvement with your memory!
on 15 May 2016
We returned as this is very much a theory book which was not going to appeal to my 14 year old. I had brought the book to help her improve her memory for GCSEs.
on 13 July 2015
Product as described, quick delivery
on 3 April 2010
I have currently read up to the seventh chapter, So I can't give a completely thorough review of it as a whole. A couple of the things this guy has mentioned I heard of before, just not on paper. I think he backs up most of his ideas with research that has been done within the last 50 years on the subject. My criticism would mostly be pointed at his grammar errors, but thankfully it hasn't hindered me from understanding what he meant to say. Worth the money I paid for it and I will continue to enjoy reading this book.
on 26 February 2014
My daughter is in high school, and this books has giver some very useful tips on how to improve her memory skills and has helped her a lot with school
on 31 January 2010
It was good to read something which referred to research, but didn't give so much detail as to be annoyingly difficult. This is an excellent book to read and understand how memory works and how to improve it. Like anything else though putting into practice is more difficult. It seems from reading this book that "imagination" plays a very important part, which may suggest if your imagination lacks then it might be of little use. Anyway I'd certainly recommend this book. Even if it is just to learn the five basics of memory, organization, association, imagination and I forget the other two.

I think Higbee could of made the book shorter as it seems a little long and maybe added some exercises, but there are good practical tips and I'd re-read it again if I could remember where I last put it.