5.0 out of 5 stars Angry? Then raise your quality of life....
I recently bought this book when I realised my anger was destructive, and also affecting my stress levels and thereto the quality of life for my fiancée and I.
Published on 4 Aug 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars i've read it .and I'm still angry
thomas harbin has done a thorough job of examining the genesis of, evolution of, and methods of controlling anger in men. Unfortunately he presupposses that in every case the root cause is a feeling of inferiority, and lack of confidence in social situations. I bought this book because I have a quick temper, but i do not have a sense of inferiority, nor am i socially...
Published on 25 Dec 2010 by culturevulturelee

5.0 out of 5 stars Angry? Then raise your quality of life...., 4 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Beyond Anger: A Guide for Men - How to Free Yourself from the Grip of Anger and Get More Out of Life (Paperback)
The book is targeted at men, specifically, (hence my reason for buying it over others) and deals with all types of anger, manifestations thereof, symptoms, and then in the next stage, talks about spotting the signs of anger, temper and rage, and learning to control them. There are case studies, exercises, and good all round advice. The whole point, guys - as the book repeats, is that anger is like any emotion, and it's healthy to show it.. the unhealthy part is when you lose control of the emotion and descend into stress, then depression, and take your loved ones with you. This guide will not cure you in the blink of an eye - it may take you a few reads for a change to even become evident, but once you've accepted, as I did, that you have a problem with your temper, this book will be an invaluable aid to your road back to controlling your emotion, and learning to use the anger constructively rather than destructively.
If you do one thing to help ease your temper, buy and read this book (ok that's 2 things - but lets not sweat it.).

5.0 out of 5 stars See clearly, 10 April 2004
By A Customer
This is an excellent book.
Within the first third of the book you will get the message. And you will perhaps ask yourself why you hadn't seen things how they were but dont worry, this excellent book does it for you in that it walks you gently through the steps, and īs there on the shelf to refer back to.
Realising that my anger wasn't as simple as just 'frustration with the world and the idiots in it', but more to do with my own self esteem was a deep insight that has rapidly changed my anger levels. I know i am an ok person and i dont constantly need to prove it to everyone. Now its time to repair some of the damage i have caused in my marriage, with work colleagues and to ensure i dont pass on similar damage to my son.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd read this years ago., 23 Sep 2003
By A Customer
It took 30 years for me to finally admit that my anger was out of hand.. I was wearing myself down with outbursts of fury and destructive anger and had broken many relationships in the process. I bought this book as the 'first stage' in my process of learning to control my temper..
In reading this book it is first important to appreciate you have a problem, and that the reading of it will not instantly change your life. Nor will it rid you of your temper. The underlying message throughout is that anger as an emotion is fine.. destructive and maladaptive anger is not. The book teaches you to spot signs of anger in you, and tries to get you to see where these signs have come from. Then it deals in the second half with learning to change the way you think to avoid these feelings coming in future. Dr Harbin has himself been a slave to his temper, and this makes you feel more akin to him. That he has something of value to tell you and you want to listen. I can say that having owned this book for 3 months, I have read it twice already and will read it a 3rd time before the end of the year. It's important to keep the points it brings up fresh in your mind, otherwise you will quickly slip back into your old ways again. I am already feeling the benefits, and hope to continue to do so for the rest of my life.
This is not a cure-all.. one read will not cure you of your temper and destructive behaviour, but hard work, and diligence, based on what this book is teaching you will lead to a higher quality of life for you and those around you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic helpful book, 4 Feb 2006
By A Customer
I ordered this book after realising that my anger was out of control and was very sceptical of the book. However after a few glasses of wine - the book - and several long conversations with myself I feel that it has helped me to understand why I get angry and what I can do to control it. I can't recommend it highly enough

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed..., 20 Mar 2007
Can only add to all the positive comments. After some negative experiences in my life I too was heading down a slippery road.

As you read this book, you will find yourself thinking how much something you just read applies to your own behaviour, or thinking about something which he then coincidentally mentions in the next paragraph - this confirmed for me I was reading the thoughts of someone who has been through it himself.

A more practical and helpful "come to your senses" guide than a similar book by Mike Fisher. Although his book also contains some helpful advice, there is much in there about groups and courses which feel a bit like sales patter to me.

Well and truly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Anger A guide for Men, 5 Mar 2010
Alice Hayden "Alice" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I would highly recommend this book to all wives and girlfriends suffering with an angry man to whatever degree that may be. Mine was just a husband that got angry when irritated but that was quite often and seemed to be over quite trivial things. After a long while that can chip away at your self esteem. My husband read this book and found it really well written (which he hadnt with other books I had given to him to read). He read it once and has never had to refer to it again but I am going to keep it handy just in case! He is so different towards me now. He realises it is his problem and that he can react differently when stressed. I never actually read the book myself so dont know what is written within those pages but all I know is that it worked and I dont have an angry man anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, 26 Feb 2007
Well worth the money if you are serious about getting a grip. No quick fix, just genuine, useful advice. Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 18 May 2009
L. Wainer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book really speaks to the angry man. There are no fluffy acronyms spelling out how to be a better person, it just says it how it is. It is a great read. The author has a clear and strong voice, empathic but not soft. The questionaire's are great and the advice is spot on. It is surprisingly readable (I couldn't put it down!) and although seemingly written for the American market, the content is just as relevant to the UK. A great buy for anyone dealing with male anger issues, be it the man himself, or their partner. Thanks to the author for his candid insights and ability to communicate them to his audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if you are angry, 2 April 2010
This book is superb! The first half will describe situations which are very familiar and will make you understand why you are angry and the second half will give you practical advice on how to change your life! - You can't get better than that! It has done for my constant anger what Allen Carr's "The easy way to stop smoking" did for my smoking habit - stopped completely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 27 Mar 2013
cecile mairat (london, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought it for my boyfriend...who has a bit of a temper. He has done some good, he did recognise some traits he thought nothing of. A bit dated though. But overall good purchase