on 10 December 2010
This book is amazing. It has helped us SO much to channel the energy, intensity and determination of our child away from negativity and tantrums to focusing on her interests. A book I have read through twice.
on 14 August 2010
This book changed my life in the space of two days never mind 10. I have read many others which I have found completely useless. Unlike other books about ADHD and ODD its doesn't use ideas about silly star charts and the like which do not work with defiant children. It uses a very different approach which I haven't come across in my years as a parent of a defiant child. I wish I had found this book a long time ago. I understand my defiant child now and feel like we are all living in a different household!!! I fully recommend this book.
on 19 February 2013
Great book. Very useful. Clear and easy to read. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to stop yelling and have a happier relation with their children. Thank you.
on 17 June 2014
Not normally one to review or gush, this book really is essential reading for anyone who has a defiant/challenging child. The book explains how the problem stems from your child's emotional immaturity and inability to cope with their own impulsiveness. This results in frustrating behaviour, which leads to enormously stressed parents. Often the frustration provokes the parents to shout, react emotionally or enter into a power struggle with their child. This only serves to makes things worse and meltdown occurs (sometimes on a daily basis). The author clearly explains a number of strategies, developed from years of counselling families, to stop shouting and start understanding your child. Even on the first day of reading and putting into practice the initial strategies, my whole relationship with my son changed. I have not shouted at him once since reading it and he now often tells me I am the best mum in the world instead of claiming he wants to run away! So thank you Mr Bernstein, I hope many others will benefit from your wise words.
on 25 September 2013
I would recommend this book to all parents who are having difficulty coping with their challenging kids. It really changed my outlook and attitude and thus enabled me to be the mother my son needs and his behaviour changed dramatically as a result too.
on 29 January 2012
Bought to help me manage my 11 year old son who displays ODD like behaviours. Book is well written and easy to understand. It makes total sense and has really helped me get inside the mind of my son. As a result our understanding of why he does the things he does is so much clearer. Its a long journey but one that I now now see light at the end of!
on 22 February 2014
Struggled to find anyone that could help give us some techniques to deal with our son's behaviour - this book is stuffed full of them. Every description of defiant behaviour rang true for us. Felt like someone actually understood what was happening and had practical techniques to help us.
on 4 April 2013
I bought this book in a moment of desperation about 6 months ago and it has transformed my parenting style. A lot of the book seems "obvious", but although some of the things are sort of basic, when I really thought about it I wasn't doing many of them consistently and the book was a useful reminder of the techniques I am aware of but do not use. The book outlines things to try over a number of days, but I just read through the whole book in a couple of days and picked out the things I wanted to try. Now that I am regularly using the methods in the book the whole family is calmer and we have far less bursts of arguing and confrontation. The book has examples for parenting children of all ages, although I bought the book for parenting a 5 year old. I do think it might the techniques might be slightly better for say 5 - 10 year olds, but I think it could also be useful for parents of pre-teens and teens.
on 15 November 2013
Easy to read and does help calm down home life. It's more about parental reaction to challenging children. Have successfully applied the techniques
on 30 August 2013
I recommend this book to any parent who is finding it difficult handling their child's behaviour. It gives many useful insights and techniques which can help with the day to day challenges faced by carers with defiant and difficult children. Read it and see for yourself!