on 10 July 2007
Buy this book for the carrot cake cupcake recipe alone. My meat eating friend stated it was the best cake she had ever had and I can't disagree. Amazingly good. Perfectly written book. Not enough photos to drool over.
on 30 May 2007
I really can't recommend this book enough. It has great recipes and pictures (still rare for vegan cook books). The best bit has to be the vegan icing recipes - no more runny, margy messes! Even dairy lovers have been impressed. Up the revolution!
on 11 January 2008
I recieved this book for my birthday and made my fist batch of cupcakes last night. I have started at the begining planning to work my way through to the end. The comments I have recieved ranged from "Thats was very light" to " It was the best cupcake I have ever had and I didnt want it to end". Ive not tried then yet myself but I will be doing so when I get to the wheat and gluten free recipes. There is even a low fat version for the days when you need cupcakes but not the extra calories. The pictures are fantastic and make you want to bake immediately. The recipe was easy to follow and each one is broken down into steps. I thoroughly recommend this book even if all you do is drool over the pictures.
on 30 July 2008
Let's face it, cupcakes are cute :o) and this is the cutest recipe book in the world! Best of all, all the recipes are animal friendly! Whoopie!

Every single recipe in this book is creative and look (and taste!) divine! The photography is beautiful and makes you want to have the real thing in front of you immediately, the most inspiring cook book ever!

As mentioned by others, the measurement are American, but once you have the equipment (buy some measuring cups today!) I find the recipes are much easier to follow than the Brit weighing method.

More advice: if your oven is a bit off with the temperatures, buy an oven thermometer. The first poor batch of cupcakes I made sunk :o( it was because my oven was too cold. I cant even read the temperatures on my oven, guesstimating does not work! But once I used an oven thermometer all was well, and very very yummy!
on 26 September 2010
I was given this book by a friend and I have been baking from it at least once a month ever since with excellent results.

Proof? The pages are now dirtied and sticky and possibly my waistline has been affected. My (non-vegan) friends regularly come over to mine to get some cupcake-baking action using these recipes, and I've taken them to work and have received numerous compliments (despite my shoddy attempts at decoration). No-one would know that they were vegan, and anyone who has realised that they must be has been astonished.

The book is nicely presented with some mouth-watering photos, and a light-hearted writing style.

There is an excellent variety of cupcakes, from plain chocolate or vanilla, to the fanciest cupcakes which involve cutting bits out and stuffing the insides with various gooey deliciousnesses. Each cupcake recipe has a number of variations in terms of frostings, fillings etc. There are also a couple of lower-calorie/wheat free recipes for anyone with specific needs.

Recipes are clear and easy to follow. Results are spot on every time - in stark contrast to recipes from other books which produce cakes which fail to rise or are heavy.

Despite being American, the recipes use widely available ingredients - no weird stuff you have to go to a healthfood shop for. The one exception to this being 'Graham Crackers' which we don't get here and appear in maybe one or two recipes, and can easily be swapped for digestive biscuits. Other reviewers have mentioned 'shortening' being difficult to get hold of , it's not - Cookeen or Trex are well-known brands available in your supermarket.

For measuring ingredients, the recipes do use 'cups'. Again these are now widely available in the UK. I have to say I really like measuring with these, much quicker than weighing out ingredients. So actually it's a plus point in my book.

If you are vegan or have a vegan to feed cake to, this is the best book on the market.
on 14 September 2009
I know there are already a lot of reviews on this so I'll keep this short.
First of all the photography is stunning; something that a lot of vegen cookbooks are lacking. You will be kept from baking by the fact that you will be salavating over the pictures for so long! The receipes are easy to follow and most of the ingredients are easy to find, but not all. Can I just tell U.K readers now that if you are wondering what 'shortening' is it is vegetable fat, I use Trex - I was looking for AGES for this info - so I hope this helps you out. I highly reccommend this book - BUY IT!
VINE VOICEon 16 June 2010
I was given this as a present for my first Christmas as a vegan, and I LOVE IT. I had never baked before, so I was a little nervous, but the recipes are great, clear, and simple to follow. Even better, I've brought cupcakes into my (decidedly non-vegan!) work-place, and all the omnivores agree - these are the best damn cupcakes in the world. The illustrations are lovely, the tone chatty and friendly, and the results are phenomenal. There are even a couple of gluten free recipes, which is a nice touch, I think.

It is an American book, so measurements are in cups and spoons, but I just use my British set and haven't had any problems so far!
on 2 December 2009
so, as a vegetarian who doesnt eat eggs, i never get any cake :-(

i therefore have an obsession with all things cakey cos lets face it - you always want what you cant have!
this book is pretty damn good though. there are lots and lots of different ideas and substitutions etc
however, as previous reviewers have said, some of the ingredients are basically impossible to get in the UK
the cup measurers are like 80p in asda and i actually orefer this method to weighing everything out! it just makes things easier.

ive tried 2 recipes, both of which were gulfed down by my family - the banana split cupcakes and the marble cupcakes.

ps these cakes are very sugary and i think its for american tastebuds, i find that we brits prefer something slightly less sweet so you can just leave a bit of the sugar - or keep it in, theyre still delicious

pps 1 cup measure is 240ml, i found that a measuring jug can do the job if you cant find any cup measurers
on 6 August 2009
I love this book although it took me a little while to get used to the measuring and the ingredients. e.g canola oil is usually called rapeseed oil in UK and is sold as veg oil in most supermarkets (just check the back of the bottle).

I also really needed to invest in some cup measures and a few of the slightly more unusual ingredients like apple cider vinegar (still sold in supermarkets not too unusual). I have found that a cupcake is bigger than a fairy cake so a recepie for 12 cupcakes makes 24 fairy cakes.

The recepies are easy to do, imaginative and have a great depth of flavour. Its also really nice to see recepies for toppings and ideas of alternatives. My favourite recepie is the peanut butter cupcakes, these are now frequently requested by my omni family.

This is a great book for anyone who like making cakes - vegan or not.
on 13 October 2009
Just a quick note for the 'this is not very healthy' really isnt supposed to be! The authors are quite open and honest in the fact that this book is for people who love cake (which isnt healthy at all), and happen to be vegan :D

I have a vegan friend, and am not vegan myself, in fact im not even vegatarian, BUT I do love cake. My friend showed me some of her recipies from this book, and I love them so much I am buying this book for myself, because quite honestly the recipies are delicous and simple even for a non vegan types like myself, and are really handy to have when making any cakes for anyone who cant eat eggs or milk for any reason (ie those with allergys, or are vegan).

Simply put this book is brilliant, once you've triend some of the cakes from here there's no going back!