Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 January 2012
I've bought quite a few vegan cookbooks since I went vegan, and I always come across the same problem: the recipes are too fancy for everyday cooking. As a full-time mum and student with a part-time job, I don't have the time to be standing in the kitchen prepping complicated dishes every night. I'm also not a particularly strong cook, and the dishes were a little too ambitious and technical for my skill level. I was hoping this book would be different because of its wonderful reviews, but unfortunately I was a little disappointed. The book has mostly stayed on the shelf.

When I've had the time to source the ingredients and prepare the recipes, however, I've enjoyed using it. Those which I have had managed to make - such as the mushroom and walnut paté - have proven delicious. It's definitely a well-written book with some lovely recipes, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for everyday vegan meal ideas. I'd also like to point out that there are no pictures, so if images are important/helpful to you, I wouldn't bother buying this.
22 comments|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 August 2008
wow! i've got numerous vegan cookbooks, some of which contain the odd valuable recipe, but this is something else. every recipe sounds delicious and they are by no means hard to make. although quite a few of the recipes have fairly long prep times, they are definately worth it. my omni boyfriend is even impressed at his delicious vegan dinner. one really good thing about this book is that at the beggining there are a couple of chapters on how to cook a grain, how to cook a veg, and descriptions of different equipment you may need. recipes include something for every occasion. Those from the mix and match section are my personal favourites.
so if you are a vegan and need help sorting out your diet and your kitchen this is the book for you. i feel like i'll never need to buy another cookbook again!
0Comment|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2009
My first vegan cookbook was Vegan with a Vengeance (by the same author) - I bought it as I had just become a vegetarian and wanted more ideas besides egg and cheese heavy meals. I loved the book and still regularly cook recipes from it.

When I heard about Veganomicon, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! I've now had it for about 6 months and still haven't grown tired of it. My initial reaction was to be a little overwhelmed: there is sooo much in here! But I kept coming back to it, trying new recipes. Soups are a great place to start and there are some fabulous ones in it! My favourite (at the moment) would have to be the Broccoli and Potato soup. These gals know what they're doing: the addition of fresh mint and dille make this absolutely soar.

There are quite adventurous recipes in there and more simple ones. There are a number of icons (such as 'F' for low fat or 'S' for soy-free) and those recipes are also listed in their own appendix. The basic prepartion of legumes and grains is explained well, as well as the preparation of 'staple' extras (roasted garlic, roasted peppers).

The descriptions are thorough and encouraging (you'll attempt things you never knew you could make!) and the authors' way of communicating with the reader is fresh and upbeat. In short, this book is exciting, reliable, informative and fun - a trusted companion in anyone's kitchen.
33 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2010
I got this cookbook because I was tired of vegitarian recipes that depended on cheese and butter for flavour. Wow, does this book show that you don't need any of that to make good, flavourful food! The authors have a sense of humour, which is evident as they take you through the recipes, making scrolling through the book to get dinner ideas even more fun. The recipes themselves are well coded so that you immediately know which are low-fat, take under 45 minutes, are super-market friendly and are glueten or soy free. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, especially since they define all the terms they use in the start of the book. Only thing to watch out for is that they use American measurements. Its fine so long as you are paying attention, but I have ended up using too much liquid on occasion as a result. Still tastes great though!
on 15 January 2009
i read this recipe book like a novel! i'm turning into a psyco foodie because of it. the recipes are all really original, easy to follow and fun to read. there is everything from snacks and dips and sauces to 8-person casserole meals. one thing worth noting is that you will need to get yourself some american measuring cups, and be a little inventive with some of the hard-to-get-in-the-uk ingredients, like graham crackers and vital wheat gluten.
all said, a fantastic book, that will without doubt improve your diet in every way :) THANKYOU!
66 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2011
This is an excellent cook book for someone who knows nothing about cooking, as it is a persistent hand-holder that never takes any knowledge for granted. The writing is good, informative sections near the beginning are completely invaluable to novices, also if you're in the mood you could try cooking the recipes. Extra useful information is given for each recipe, such as an indication of how much of the cooking time you will spend in the next room doing something interesting. Tips are also provided, sometimes concerning substitutions (especially useful for someone like me who would leave the pasta out of mac'n'cheese if it saved her s trip to the shops) sometimes concerning techniques that might be new. The recipes themselves are mouth-watering, if ingredient heavy and slow, I would not rate this as a budget cook book. My biggest concern with this cook book is it badly needs to be translated out of American, and it has no pictures. Almost every recipe has a word in the title that is not in common usage in England, or even world-wide, without images all I can go is cook it and try to figure out what I ended up with.
on 10 December 2008
as a vegan for only one year I have to say that it was very difficult for me to adapt to my new diet, eating plain pasta, bread or fries with salad every day... and I had to look for some ideas to keep up. this book gave me more than that, full of ideas I discovered new tastes, new ways of cooking, I never thought before that I could have so much fun cooking vegan. now I know that vegan food is not restrictive but creative, with compassion.
on 11 October 2010
As a single vegan who gets very bored when it comes to eating, this book had to accomplish 3 tasks. 1) it needs to be innovative and have lots of variety ' I have lots of vegan cookbooks and it all becomes very 'samey'. 2) It needs to be easy enough for me to do. 3) Have a diversity of healthy and indulgent recipes that I can scale down to one person cooking.

Well, I bought this book after reading a favourable review at [...] which one of my favourite vegan communities and it didn't disappoint! The banana nut waffles are a MUST! Seriously, real comfort food! For those old 'meat and two veg' type diners who assume all vegan cooking is bland slop, give them a recipe from this cookbook!

I haven't managed to get all the way through the book yet, but I'm giving it a good go. Most important thing though, I'm not bored! The variety is impressive and the textures created with these recipes is a true art form. This is definitely a 'must have' in any vegan's array of cookery books.
on 29 March 2009
I love this book.
I've had to change to a vegan diet recently for health reasons, and though for the last few months I've been making do with just taking out dairy from my vegtarian diet, this book provided me with lots of inspiration to do something a bit different.
It has some great light meals and casseroles, and it's written in a friendly instructive manner. I'd found in other vegan cookbooks, the authors got a bit preachy about being vegan, but not here.
My only two criticisms are
1) That the was produced in America, so some ingredients aren't immediately recognisable. However, everything can be found here...even if it's under a different name.
2) I wish there were more pictures. There are a good handful in the middle of the book...but I love pictures of the food I'm cooking on the page. Just my own personal opinion!

A good, all-round cookbook for any vegan. Great recipes and easy-to-use.
on 5 November 2007
After long awaiting it's release, I must say, I have NOT been disappointed. Up till this point Vegan With a Vengeance was definitely my favourite cookbook I owned, it's stained, it's loved, it's creased, while all my other cookbooks sit pretty. Isa & Terry make recipes that I never feel I have to test out before making for someone else, I am always 100% confident with how good it will be. This book will now have to replace VWAV as being my favourite. The layout is perfect, and it is extremely easy to navigate your way around and find your favourite recipes. It is also really helpful as it contains a hefty introduction on HOW TO's about vegetables, grains, etc. SO GOOD! Do NOT pass this one up, if I had to get rid of all my other cookbooks? I would keep this one. YUM!