5.0 out of 5 stars this book makes you wanna cook!
Published on 22 Aug 2008 by Claire Griggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not for the novice cook
Published on 10 Jan 2012 by Mama P

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not for the novice cook, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I've bought quite a few vegan cookbooks since I went vegan, and I always come across the same problem: the recipes are too fancy for everyday cooking. As a full-time mum and student with a part-time job, I don't have the time to be standing in the kitchen prepping complicated dishes every night. I'm also not a particularly strong cook, and the dishes were a little too ambitious and technical for my skill level. I was hoping this book would be different because of its wonderful reviews, but unfortunately I was a little disappointed. The book has mostly stayed on the shelf.

When I've had the time to source the ingredients and prepare the recipes, however, I've enjoyed using it. Those which I have had managed to make - such as the mushroom and walnut paté - have proven delicious. It's definitely a well-written book with some lovely recipes, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for everyday vegan meal ideas. I'd also like to point out that there are no pictures, so if images are important/helpful to you, I wouldn't bother buying this.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book makes you wanna cook!, 22 Aug 2008
Claire Griggs (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
wow! i've got numerous vegan cookbooks, some of which contain the odd valuable recipe, but this is something else. every recipe sounds delicious and they are by no means hard to make. although quite a few of the recipes have fairly long prep times, they are definately worth it. my omni boyfriend is even impressed at his delicious vegan dinner. one really good thing about this book is that at the beggining there are a couple of chapters on how to cook a grain, how to cook a veg, and descriptions of different equipment you may need. recipes include something for every occasion. Those from the mix and match section are my personal favourites.
so if you are a vegan and need help sorting out your diet and your kitchen this is the book for you. i feel like i'll never need to buy another cookbook again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trusted companion in the kitchen, 8 Jan 2009
Ruby (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
My first vegan cookbook was Vegan with a Vengeance (by the same author) - I bought it as I had just become a vegetarian and wanted more ideas besides egg and cheese heavy meals. I loved the book and still regularly cook recipes from it.

When I heard about Veganomicon, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! I've now had it for about 6 months and still haven't grown tired of it. My initial reaction was to be a little overwhelmed: there is sooo much in here! But I kept coming back to it, trying new recipes. Soups are a great place to start and there are some fabulous ones in it! My favourite (at the moment) would have to be the Broccoli and Potato soup. These gals know what they're doing: the addition of fresh mint and dille make this absolutely soar.

There are quite adventurous recipes in there and more simple ones. There are a number of icons (such as 'F' for low fat or 'S' for soy-free) and those recipes are also listed in their own appendix. The basic prepartion of legumes and grains is explained well, as well as the preparation of 'staple' extras (roasted garlic, roasted peppers).

The descriptions are thorough and encouraging (you'll attempt things you never knew you could make!) and the authors' way of communicating with the reader is fresh and upbeat. In short, this book is exciting, reliable, informative and fun - a trusted companion in anyone's kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars an essential book for all vegan and non-vegan food lovers everywhere, 15 Jan 2009
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
i read this recipe book like a novel! i'm turning into a psyco foodie because of it. the recipes are all really original, easy to follow and fun to read. there is everything from snacks and dips and sauces to 8-person casserole meals. one thing worth noting is that you will need to get yourself some american measuring cups, and be a little inventive with some of the hard-to-get-in-the-uk ingredients, like graham crackers and vital wheat gluten.
all said, a fantastic book, that will without doubt improve your diet in every way :) THANKYOU!

5.0 out of 5 stars Veganomicon! At last!, 5 Nov 2007
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
After long awaiting it's release, I must say, I have NOT been disappointed. Up till this point Vegan With a Vengeance was definitely my favourite cookbook I owned, it's stained, it's loved, it's creased, while all my other cookbooks sit pretty. Isa & Terry make recipes that I never feel I have to test out before making for someone else, I am always 100% confident with how good it will be. This book will now have to replace VWAV as being my favourite. The layout is perfect, and it is extremely easy to navigate your way around and find your favourite recipes. It is also really helpful as it contains a hefty introduction on HOW TO's about vegetables, grains, etc. SO GOOD! Do NOT pass this one up, if I had to get rid of all my other cookbooks? I would keep this one. YUM!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoloutely delicious, as always, 5 Jun 2008
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this book with no reservations and I have not been disappointed! I have previously bought Vegan With A Vengeance and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World and knew that this would be as good as these are.

I have used it about once a week since I bought it (because I'm lazy and like to cook only at the weekends and freeze meals for the following week) and everthing I have made, I have enjoyed thoroughly. Even my omni boyfrind, who is the fussiest eater I have ever met, loved the anise cookins and the ice cream. I have even had requests from people at work for recipes!

I long ago got used to the idea of using cups instead of weighing scales to the point now that I prefer to use them. I would recommend if you are going to buy this book to go out and purchase some measuring cups because they are exact measurements. My only other problem is that you can't but vital wheat gluten in Britain unless purchased on the internet so I can't try the chickpea cutlets that everyone seems to rave about.

But the book as a whole is thoroughly enjoyable to read as well as to cook from and it always feels as though there is a friend in the kitchen with you. The recipes are fairly mixed, with some quick and easy ones, to the downright decadant! Even a beginner would not have problems with it.

I highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for new vegans and old ones alike, 10 Dec 2008
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
as a vegan for only one year I have to say that it was very difficult for me to adapt to my new diet, eating plain pasta, bread or fries with salad every day... and I had to look for some ideas to keep up. this book gave me more than that, full of ideas I discovered new tastes, new ways of cooking, I never thought before that I could have so much fun cooking vegan. now I know that vegan food is not restrictive but creative, with compassion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Veganomicon: makes being vegan..easy!, 29 Mar 2009
C. Pocklington (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this book.
I've had to change to a vegan diet recently for health reasons, and though for the last few months I've been making do with just taking out dairy from my vegtarian diet, this book provided me with lots of inspiration to do something a bit different.
It has some great light meals and casseroles, and it's written in a friendly instructive manner. I'd found in other vegan cookbooks, the authors got a bit preachy about being vegan, but not here.
My only two criticisms are
1) That the was produced in America, so some ingredients aren't immediately recognisable. However, everything can be found here...even if it's under a different name.
2) I wish there were more pictures. There are a good handful in the middle of the book...but I love pictures of the food I'm cooking on the page. Just my own personal opinion!

A good, all-round cookbook for any vegan. Great recipes and easy-to-use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 25 Feb 2009
Ms. Rachael Camp (Tonbridge, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
This book is so so good, I thought Vegan with a Vengance was good (and it still is) but this is something out of this world.
So far I have tried:

Mac Daddy (with peas) - I thought mac n cheese was horrible when I was onmi, now I realise the only thing wrong with it was the cheese, because the nutritional yeast and tofu sauce with it is gorgeous...personally though, I would halve the mustard, as it's a teeny bit strong.

Penne Vodka - How yummy was this, truely good, although I chopped a whole red pepper and added some grated courgette (zuchini to all you americans) as I wanted to up my 5 a day, the almonds make it a very yummy and easy creamy tomato pasta without using tofu like other books

Green pea and lemon risotto with roasted red peppers - Just perfect, the most delcious risotta I have ever made ever!!

Baked BBQ Tofu - Another beautiful and rather delicious dish, I served it with Potato Wedges, corn on the cob and tenderstem brocolli.

All the recipes just work in a way which so many other books don't. They are beyond perfect, Isa's other book Vegan with A Vengance is fab too, the Raspberry Blackout cake is amazing. In fact any of Isa's recipes that combine raspberry and chocolate are worth baking.

If your vegan, vegetarian, or even omni, buy this book, you will now know what's hit you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Veganomicon, 23 May 2009
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have not had this book long, but so far every recipe I have tried is tasty and not complicated to cook. Some ingredients are hard to find, some I can't even identify, but with time and effort I will overcome that. Would like more pictures and a better glossary of ingredients so I can find equivalent in the UK. Not a book for someone who wants quick recipes - most recipes do need time - but well worth it.

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Terry Hope Romero (Hardcover - 3 April 2008)
12.59