Format: HardcoverChange

on 12 April 2010
oooh, this was fun. great pictures, and information by the tonne. and I did enjoy playing with the ideas, once I had found out where to find the information on how to work it.!! still, it was worth buying, and keeping for reference to play, at a later day. something to keep as a project on the go..... but i doubt I will be going as far as the whole coral reef.
on 29 April 2010
A wonderful book, full of related ideas and pictures. The most important bit for me was the precise instructions on how to crochet the planes.
on 15 October 2013
The book is focused on theory and history of hyperbolic planes investigations - which is good if that's what you are looking for - but not really on crochet - there are some basic instructions which a crocheter is able to do anyway - so for me it was disappointing and had to be sent back.
on 7 September 2009
I ordered this book as I thought it would explore crochet and hyperbolic planes, but I found the book was more about the maths, history, and theory of hyperbolic planes. I am a hands on crochet person and there was just too much written about mathematical theories, ancient civilisations and their application of hyperbolic theories. I think it is a nice book if you are a mathematician and want some practical outlet for all your hyperbolic mathematical equations! I would not recommend it if you are looking for inspiring crochet creations.
11 comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am honestly not quite sure how to rate this book. If you are a mathematician or an artist then you would probably give this 6 out of 5 stars, yes 6 out of 5. The amount of research and effort put into the maths and art content is incredible. Some beautiful works of art are critiqued and explained through intricate and serious maths though still engaging.

From a crocheters viewpoint though, i would have to give it 2 or 3 at a push. No real patterns to follow. You are expected to spend time and understand and absorb the maths theory and then pretty much apply it to different objects and get there on your own. This is a not only a bit disappointing as you are shown some beautiful and colourful crocheted examples which are works of art in themselves but in order to recreate them, you have to have a great interest in mathematics and want to create such designs by your own devices.

So for the average crocheter this is not a workable book. It is more a coffee table delight with some wonderful examinations of fantastic artistic creations. If you have a knack for crochet (though not necessarily advanced) and a mind for maths and want to experiment with something different, then this book is for you. I see it as more of a meeting of 2 minds, one a crafter with crochet skills and the other a serious mathematician who have come together to explore and experiment on how the 2 converge and what the results may be.
on 26 April 2014
This is really a book for mathematicians and I'm not one of them! But I love the ideas of all these things I don't understand and the references to art and history and, of course, crochet. The crochet involved is pretty simple, in contrast to the geometry.

It's more of a picture book object to treasure than a book I can actually read or use, but no regrets.
on 11 March 2010
This is the most spectacularly bizarre book I have seen since Knitting with Dog Hair. 5 stars awarded for the title alone.
on 7 October 2013
This is a clever book and probably needs a better brain than mine to understand the mathematics!! has soon very interesting ideas and History of Crochet
on 24 July 2014
This is an amazing book linking basic knitting skills with some ovrewhleming mathematical ideas.
Truly an inspiration.