5.0 out of 5 stars A non-expert view
Published on 13 Jun 2011 by Albear

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Halfway through the book and finding the classification system quite interesting. Lots of good illustrations in the book as well.
Published 15 months ago by J. Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-expert view, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Symmetries of Things (Hardcover)
As with Conway and Smith's Quarternions and Octonions, I am surprised to find myself the first reviewer of this amazing book. The Symmetries of Things manages to be a reference work of importance and a coffee table book at the same time. The classification of symmetries is comprehensive bringing together a wide rangle of results using an accessible notation that highlights connections. The accompanying images illustrating the symmetries have had my crafting friends agog. As a non-expert I am not able to comment on the mathemaics, but with Conway as one of the authors it is likely to be of high quality. Again this is not a book for the casual reader of mathematics. However the imagery is accessible to anyone and should be inspiring to anyone with an interest in pattern.

I don't understand the whole book. It is part of my project to understand the theory of finite groups. However, whenever I get stuck I can enjoy the images.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own, 6 Mar 2013
P. Kane (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Symmetries of Things (Hardcover)
This is a great book. I had some misgivings at first: I did not like some of the terminology and I found some of the language a little vague. However, having penetrated much further into its depths, I find it quite awe-inspiring. Its presentation is second to none; it is jam-packed with beautiful illustrations. Although it is very mathematical, there is plenty to delight the non-mathematical reader. I have not seen another maths book that treats symmetry in as much depth or does it so well as this – or even comes close. A marvellous achievement. I think it deserves two more stars, so here they are: * *.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 24 May 2013
J. Morton - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Symmetries of Things, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Symmetries of Things (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my son for Christmas as he had requested it. He had already seen a copy and is very pleased with the content and the high quality of the content and the publication.
It's fine if you like maths etc.!

The Symmetries of Things
The Symmetries of Things by Chaim Goodman-Strauss (Hardcover - 7 May 2008)
46.79